Charter for an Interesting Club

Ken Laws

Mar 11, 1993, 5:25:28 PM3/11/93
Hey, anyone out there interested in joining the Castle Corps? We're a bunch of
folks that are dedicated to improving our lives, acquiring knowledge and just
enjoying life and promoting fun and goodwill in general. A lot of what we're
about is not only doing the above, but also communicating about it with
ourselves and anyone else whose interested. If you like The Net, you might
like us. If, after reading this article, you're interested in our club, please
call Lance at (408) 336-3140 for more info, or you can write the Castle Corps
at the following address... please include the appropriate membership dues if
you are requesting CC membership (see the bottom of this posting for dues
amounts):

CC Membership Officer
Castle Corps Shedquarters
180 Woodston Way
Ben Lomond, CA 95005
USA

Here's our charter:

"CASTLE CORPS CHARTER
The Castle Corps is an organized group of world citizens dedicated to the joy
of life and pursuit of knowledge. We are dedicated to human equality and the
dignity and appreciation of all life. The Castle Corps believes in taking
positive steps towards achieving ideals based on personal dreams and the
well-being of the world community. We promote communication and interaction
both among our members and in the world about us. The Castle Corps encourages
the following traits wherever they are encountered: Honesty, Selflessness,
Respect For Others, Creativity, Inquisitiveness, Happiness and Unbounded
Imagination."

We originally started in September of 1991 as a sort-of continuation of a high
school club called the Natural Philosophers, but evolved into a much broader
forum. We currently have 67 members in 7 countries (Canada, France, Germany,
Holland, United Kingdom, Russia, and the United States). All work is performed
on a volunteer basis, and all money earned by the club goes back into the club.
Our financial records are always open for inspection. We'd like to
incorporate, but we're in need of legal advice before proceeding (are there any
corporate lawyers out there that would like a free membership in return for
helping us out?).

What do we do? That's a good question! As long as it goes along with the
charter listed above (as well as some club rules), we'll do almost anything
there's an interest in doing. Our monthly newsletter THE CASTLE CRIER updates
members on club policy and activities, as well as being an open forum for
communication. Our fun/busy activities have included camping, mountain biking,
ghost hunting, rock climbing, riding a historic railway, sailing on the
Monterey Bay, and a 2-day live fantasy role-playing game. In the last few
months, we've added a few more substantial events, such as sponsoring a public
lecture/discussion with Nick Herbert, a noted author/scholar in quantum
physics. Planned future events & activities include a party/class involving
the making of chainmail (as in medieval armor), a public ghost story "concert"
in October in front of an historic covered bridge, and, hopefully, a medieval
faire, probably next May. Also, one of our most exciting projects that is
still up in the air as of this writing, is our acquisition of a small carnival
roller coaster from a local abandoned amusement park. Not quite sure what
we'll do with it, but there's no question that what ever we do, it'll be fun!

Most of our activities have been in the Santa Cruz, CA/San Francisco Bay Area,
due only to the concentration of membership there. Hopefully, people who
ascribe to our charter in other areas will start up satellite chapters of the
Castle Corps and hold their own events in their own communities. We are very
interested in finding others like ourselves who are attracted to the values and
spirit woven into our charter... others with whom we can communicate and share
with... people with their own interests, who can share their knowledge with us,
and with whom we may share, also.

By the way, it's called the Castle Corps because we fully intend to someday
build our own castle.

Here is some additional info on Castle Corps officers and being a member.

CASTLE CORPS OFFICERS
% Grand Worthy Administrative Minister
- or, the GWAM (pronounced like 'Guam')
- a.k.a. President
% Sub Grand Worthy Administrative Minister
- or, the Sub-GWAM
- a.k.a. Vice President
% Most Honorable Recorder of Fellowship Events
- or, the MHRFE (pronounced 'murf')
- a.k.a. Secretary
% Most Esteemed Holder of Capital Asset Records, and Keeper of the Grand
Exalted Royal Bankroll In Lockup
- or, the MEHCAR (pronounced 'meh-kar') Keeper of the GERBIL
- a.k.a. Treasurer, keeper of the cash box.

OTHER DEPARTMENT HEADS
% Commissioner of Checks & Balances
% Commissioner of European Affairs
% Commissioner of Grants, Groveling, and Fund Raising
% Castle Crier (our newsletter) Editor, Press Master & Scrivener

TYPES AND RIGHTS OF MEMBERSHIP:
All members have the right to attend Castle Corps functions and general
meetings (and other meetings as appropriate) and to participate, directly or
indirectly, in all aspects of Castle Corps policy. The term length of all
membership is one (1) year.
HONORARY MEMBERS may be nominated by Associate and Active Members via
submitting a written nomination to the Most Honorable Recorder of Fellowship
Events. The written nomination will include the name and address of the
nominee as well as reasons for honorary nomination. The nomination will be
presented to the Castle Corps voting body and, if approved, the nominee will be
granted a single term of honorary membership. Honorary members will be
reviewed at the end of each term for continuation of Honorary Membership
status. Honorary members pay no annual dues, however they have no voting
privileges and may not hold Castle Corps office.
ASSOCIATE MEMBERS pay annual dues, but have no voting privileges and may
not hold Castle Corps office.
ACTIVE MEMBERS pay annual dues, have voting privileges, and may hold
Castle Corps office. Active Members must attend at least 50% of regular club
meetings during the course of each year, missing no more than two
consecutively. There is currently no limit on the number of Active Members.
Future Active Membership may be limited and will be based on having been an
Associate Member for at least a year.
MEMBERSHIP COST per term: Honorary=free; Associate and Active
Members=$20.00 (under 18=$10.00).

Once again, if you're interested in our club, please call Lance at (408)
336-3140 for more info, or you can write the Castle Corps at the address listed
at the beginning of this posting.

Via e-mail, you can reply to me, Ken Laws, at bat...@apple.apple.com,
or you can contact Craig Polson, author of the above, at
craig_...@quickmail.apple.com

Oh, yeah... and I don't speak for Apple, blah blah blah...