Oktoberfest comes to Fairfield, at the Budweiser Brewery.

Mike D.

Sep 5, 2015, 4:59:47 AM9/5/15
#30, for two beers, a souvenir stein (no doubt hideous) and one "food item."

http://www.aboktoberfest.com/fairfield.aspx

Todd Michel McComb

Sep 5, 2015, 3:48:27 PM9/5/15
In article <9fee5b11-77a8-43ab...@googlegroups.com>,
Mike D. <spamtr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>#30, for two beers, a souvenir stein (no doubt hideous) and one "food item."

Fits perfectly with the Applebee's post.

David Kaye

Sep 5, 2015, 6:37:58 PM9/5/15
"Mike D." <spamtr...@gmail.com> wrote

> #30, for two beers, a souvenir stein (no doubt hideous) and one "food
> item."
>
> http://www.aboktoberfest.com/fairfield.aspx

In SF I have put together an Oktoberfest at the Atlas Cafe the past several
years, consisting of outdoor grilled German sausages, German beer, and a
German oompah band. If the owner approves it, we'll do it again this year,
likely on Saturday September 26. No fancy pricing; probably $5 for the
sausages and sauerkraut, $4 or 5 for the beer, no charge for the live music.

Again, the plan is up in the air at this time, but if we have it, I'll post
it here as well as on the Atlas Cafe website: http://www.atlascafe.net

---

Mike D.

Sep 6, 2015, 12:35:18 AM9/6/15
Oh, yeah, I tried to entice the ba.multitudes. Was it the prospect
of the no doubt hideous stein, the $30 for two beers, or the
irresistible allure of the mysterious "food item" that gave it away?

Mike D.

Sep 6, 2015, 12:45:05 AM9/6/15
On Saturday, September 5, 2015 at 3:37:58 PM UTC-7, David Kaye wrote:
> "Mike D." <spamtr...@gmail.com> wrote
>
> > #30, for two beers, a souvenir stein (no doubt hideous) and one "food
> > item."
> >
> > http://www.aboktoberfest.com/fairfield.aspx
>

> In SF I have put together an Oktoberfest at the Atlas Cafe the past several
> years, consisting of outdoor grilled German sausages, German beer, and a
> German oompah band. If the owner approves it, we'll do it again this year,
> likely on Saturday September 26. No fancy pricing; probably $5 for the
> sausages and sauerkraut, $4 or 5 for the beer, no charge for the live music.
>
> Again, the plan is up in the air at this time, but if we have it, I'll post
> it here as well as on the Atlas Cafe website: http://www.atlascafe.net

By all means post it here.

I don't know how you got on McComb's shitlist.
At one time he was notorious for not eating at all.

I would not go to Applebee's myself, because of all the prefab food.
But the Wharf joints were subpar, because they could be. Same with
Chinatown joints. People feel compelled to eat at small independent
places on vacation, rather than eat food identical to what they can
get at home. Sure they won't go back, but they weren't going to go
back anyways.

This bothers me about seafood places in particular. The thought
persists that seafood served at Fisherman's Wharf was somehow
caught in local waters.

But just look at the broken down boxes in the dumpster to learn
that your meal came from anywhere but the Central Coast. Perhaps
Basa from Vietnam, perhaps flatfish from Alaska.

Todd Michel McComb

Sep 6, 2015, 12:46:24 AM9/6/15
In article <9960816b-138d-4aa1...@googlegroups.com>,
Mike D. <spamtr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>Was it the prospect of the no doubt hideous stein, the $30 for two
>beers, or the irresistible allure of the mysterious "food item"
>that gave it away?

Do I have to choose?

Todd Michel McComb

Sep 6, 2015, 12:56:14 AM9/6/15
In article <3617b9de-998d-451e...@googlegroups.com>,
Mike D. <spamtr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>I don't know how you got on McComb's shitlist.

If there's a list, he's not on it. But Applebee's? C'mon.

Fasting didn't make me want to eat bad food.

David Kaye

Sep 6, 2015, 3:01:47 AM9/6/15
"Mike D." <spamtr...@gmail.com> wrote

> I don't know how you got on McComb's shitlist.
> At one time he was notorious for not eating at all.

I really don't care. If he gets to the point of being totally annoying I'll
just killfile him. So far he still has a few redeeming things to say.

> I would not go to Applebee's myself, because of all the prefab food.

Never having been to Applebee's I had no idea what to expect. I wouldn't
say the food is pre-fab, just that my experience with the chicken is that it
was cooked without any seasoning so that it could be used in all kinds of
dishes. So, there was the rich wine sauce, which was quite good, and a
chicken breast that could have been textured tofu for all I know. I also
said that the recipe would work nicely if it was used with salmon instead of
chicken. They do have salmon on the menu but I only had the Napa portabello
chicken dish.

> But the Wharf joints were subpar, because they could be. Same with
> Chinatown joints. People feel compelled to eat at small independent
> places on vacation, rather than eat food identical to what they can
> get at home.

My experience both as a restauranteur and as someone who once worked in the
Flood Building above the cable car turntable and observed tourists, is that
tourists generally do NOT like challenges. This is why the McDonald's and
Burger Kings on Powell do such a huge business and Omar Khayam's became a
shoe store.

> This bothers me about seafood places in particular. The thought
> persists that seafood served at Fisherman's Wharf was somehow
> caught in local waters.

Alioto-Lazio and Sabella-LaTorre fisheries at the Wharf are still in
business, though they catch regionally, not locally. But they probably get
better prices shipping out of the area in the same that the best California
produce is shipped elsewhere, where it can command high prices.

Todd Michel McComb

Sep 6, 2015, 3:26:14 AM9/6/15
In article <msgo9c$r76$1...@dont-email.me>,
David Kaye <sfdavi...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>If he gets to the point of being totally annoying I'll just killfile
>him.

I always advise going for the killfile.

sf

Sep 6, 2015, 3:50:49 PM9/6/15
I don't do those street fairs that offer wine for the same reason.

--

sf

sf

Sep 6, 2015, 3:52:19 PM9/6/15
On Sat, 5 Sep 2015 15:37:56 -0700, "David Kaye"
<sfdavi...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> "Mike D." <spamtr...@gmail.com> wrote
>
> > #30, for two beers, a souvenir stein (no doubt hideous) and one "food
> > item."
> >
> > http://www.aboktoberfest.com/fairfield.aspx
>

> In SF I have put together an Oktoberfest at the Atlas Cafe the past several
> years, consisting of outdoor grilled German sausages, German beer, and a
> German oompah band. If the owner approves it, we'll do it again this year,
> likely on Saturday September 26. No fancy pricing; probably $5 for the
> sausages and sauerkraut, $4 or 5 for the beer, no charge for the live music.
>
> Again, the plan is up in the air at this time, but if we have it, I'll post
> it here as well as on the Atlas Cafe website: http://www.atlascafe.net

Any chance of making it happen in October?

--

sf

sf

Sep 6, 2015, 3:55:31 PM9/6/15
On Sun, 6 Sep 2015 00:01:45 -0700, "David Kaye"
<sfdavi...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Omar Khayam's became a shoe store.

I still mourn the passing of that one.

--

sf

Aahz Maruch

Sep 6, 2015, 4:03:18 PM9/6/15
>But the Wharf joints were subpar, because they could be.

Granted that my experince is now a decade old, but I was pretty surprised
when I went to Scoma's and got the best Crab Louie of my life.
--
Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6 http://rule6.info/
<*> <*> <*>

Don Martinich

Sep 6, 2015, 8:44:02 PM9/6/15
In article <msgo9c$r76$1...@dont-email.me>,
"David Kaye" <sfdavi...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> "
>
> Alioto-Lazio and Sabella-LaTorre fisheries at the Wharf are still in
> business, though they catch regionally, not locally. But they probably get
> better prices shipping out of the area in the same that the best California
> produce is shipped elsewhere, where it can command high prices.

Both A.Paladini and Frescia seafood wholesalers seem to be out of
business. Paladini, in particular, was a big supplier of local fish. It
looks like San Francisco isn't the seafood port that it once was.

D.M.

Todd Michel McComb

Sep 6, 2015, 8:49:20 PM9/6/15
In article <dmartinich-064AB...@text.giganews.com>,
Don Martinich <dmart...@att.net> wrote:
>It looks like San Francisco isn't the seafood port that it once
>was.

A lot of that is ecological... some of the crops just aren't there
on the California coast anymore. I guess squid would be the growth
industry....

sf

Sep 6, 2015, 11:48:02 PM9/6/15
On 6 Sep 2015 13:03:17 -0700, aa...@pobox.com (Aahz Maruch) wrote:

> In article <3617b9de-998d-451e...@googlegroups.com>,
> Mike D. <spamtr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >But the Wharf joints were subpar, because they could be.
>
> Granted that my experince is now a decade old, but I was pretty surprised
> when I went to Scoma's and got the best Crab Louie of my life.

Scoma's still serves excellent food.

--

sf

David Kaye

Sep 7, 2015, 12:35:55 AM9/7/15
"sf" <s...@geemail.com> wrote

> Any chance of making it happen in October?

Oktoberfests typically begin in late September. Those that go on for 2
weeks typically end the first day or two of October, but most of it is in
September.

David Kaye

Sep 7, 2015, 12:46:40 AM9/7/15
"Don Martinich" <dmart...@att.net> wrote

> Both A.Paladini and Frescia seafood wholesalers seem to be out of
> business. Paladini, in particular, was a big supplier of local fish. It
> looks like San Francisco isn't the seafood port that it once was.

Well, uh, no. That's what happens with gentrification. It's far cheaper
for wholesalers to locate elsewhere and truck the food to their customers.

Peter Lawrence

Sep 7, 2015, 5:06:40 PM9/7/15
On 9/6/15 9:46 PM, David Kaye wrote:
> "Don Martinich" <dmart...@att.net> wrote
>
>> Both A.Paladini and Frescia seafood wholesalers seem to be out of
>> business. Paladini, in particular, was a big supplier of local fish. It
>> looks like San Francisco isn't the seafood port that it once was.
>
> Well, uh, no. That's what happens with gentrification. It's far cheaper
> for wholesalers to locate elsewhere and truck the food to their customers.

Come on, guys...

There are still other seafood wholesalers located in San Francisco.

- Peter

evergene

Sep 7, 2015, 5:33:04 PM9/7/15
Monterey Fish Market runs a sizable wholesale operation on Pier 33 in
SF.

evergene

Sep 7, 2015, 5:40:07 PM9/7/15
"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man how to poach Petrale sole in orange and fennel broth, and
you feed him really well for a day."

la voz del norte

Sep 7, 2015, 6:18:21 PM9/7/15
Christ ate Tilapia.

Al Eisner

Sep 8, 2015, 1:34:57 PM9/8/15
On Sun, 6 Sep 2015, David Kaye wrote:

> My experience both as a restauranteur and as someone who once worked in the
> Flood Building above the cable car turntable and observed tourists, is that
> tourists generally do NOT like challenges. This is why the McDonald's and
> Burger Kings on Powell do such a huge business and Omar Khayam's became a
> shoe store.

It wasn't because their lamb was as tough as lamb? :)
(I should note I had no personal experience with the place.)

I do think the above is an oversimplification. Of course McD's and
Burger King do a slam-bang business there, expecially since many of
the tourists are on a low budget and don't care much about food.
But the tourists have also kept places like Sear's running for years.

More generally, I think Powell St. is more an exception than the rule.
--
Al Eisner
San Mateo Co., CA

Al Eisner

Sep 8, 2015, 1:38:06 PM9/8/15
I most emphatically don't, especially when it would reduce on-topic
discussion between two people who have made interesting contributions
here in the past. (I find it easy to entirely ignore threads which
get out of hand, or originated with cross-posters.) Kill killfiles.

Julian Macassey

Sep 8, 2015, 10:51:08 PM9/8/15
On Tue, 8 Sep 2015 10:34:56 -0700, Al Eisner <eis...@slac.stanford.edu> wrote:
> On Sun, 6 Sep 2015, David Kaye wrote:
>
>> My experience both as a restauranteur and as someone who once worked in the
>> Flood Building above the cable car turntable and observed tourists, is that
>> tourists generally do NOT like challenges. This is why the McDonald's and
>> Burger Kings on Powell do such a huge business and Omar Khayam's became a
>> shoe store.
>
> It wasn't because their lamb was as tough as lamb? :)
> (I should note I had no personal experience with the place.)
>
> I do think the above is an oversimplification. Of course McD's and
> Burger King do a slam-bang business there, expecially since many of
> the tourists are on a low budget and don't care much about food.
> But the tourists have also kept places like Sear's running for years.

The people from the MidWest think McD's and Burger King is food. They
don't think furrin food is food.

--
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
- George Orwell

sf

Oct 8, 2015, 9:25:43 AM10/8/15
On Sun, 6 Sep 2015 21:35:53 -0700, "David Kaye"
<sfdavi...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> "sf" <s...@geemail.com> wrote
>
> > Any chance of making it happen in October?
> >

> Oktoberfests typically begin in late September. Those that go on for 2
> weeks typically end the first day or two of October, but most of it is in
> September.

Might as well be honest and call if a Septemberfest then.

--

sf

David Kaye

Oct 8, 2015, 2:48:34 PM10/8/15
"sf" <s...@geemail.com> wrote

> Might as well be honest and call if a Septemberfest then.

Well, then, if you're going to go that far then we should rename the months
since September is the 9th month, not the 7th, October is the 10th not the
8th, November is the 11th month, not the 9th, and December is the 12th
month, not the 10th.

Of course, this all has to do with the shifting of New Year's from March
21st to January 1st.

sf

Oct 10, 2015, 12:42:42 AM10/10/15
On Thu, 8 Oct 2015 11:48:32 -0700, "David Kaye"
<sfdavi...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> "sf" <s...@geemail.com> wrote
>
> > Might as well be honest and call if a Septemberfest then.
> >

> Well, then, if you're going to go that far then we should rename the months
> since September is the 9th month, not the 7th, October is the 10th not the
> 8th, November is the 11th month, not the 9th, and December is the 12th
> month, not the 10th.
>
> Of course, this all has to do with the shifting of New Year's from March
> 21st to January 1st.

Rename away. Not a problem for me.

--

sf

Todd Michel McComb

Oct 10, 2015, 2:38:29 PM10/10/15
In article <mv6dm6$16o$1...@dont-email.me>,
David Kaye <sfdavi...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Well, then, if you're going to go that far then we should rename the months
>since September is the 9th month, not the 7th, October is the 10th not the
>8th, November is the 11th month, not the 9th, and December is the 12th
>month, not the 10th.

This has long amused me. First of all, could the Romans have had
any less imagination? Naming months after numbers? Wow. And now
we're such an illiterate culture, the numbers aren't even the number
the month is. Kind of amazing stuff, if you think about it.

Peter Lawrence

Oct 10, 2015, 3:54:49 PM10/10/15
I was surprised that they didn't name it after the signs of the zodiac.

Also I would have thought that Pope Gregory XIII would have taken the
opportunity to rename the months maybe for the 12 Apostles or other saints
of the Catholic Church when he put forth his calendar back in 1582. And at
the very least, reset New Year's Day to be the day of the Winter solstice.

- Peter

Al Eisner

Oct 10, 2015, 6:15:26 PM10/10/15
Why would you think that? I guess he was conservative rather than
revolutionary.

According to the French revolutionaries, it is currently the month
Vendémiaire, named for the grape harvest. I rather like that sort
of naming. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Republican_Calendar

David Kaye

Oct 10, 2015, 7:13:26 PM10/10/15
"Todd Michel McComb" <mcc...@medieval.org> wrote

> This has long amused me. First of all, could the Romans have had
> any less imagination? Naming months after numbers? Wow. And now
> we're such an illiterate culture, the numbers aren't even the number
> the month is. Kind of amazing stuff, if you think about it.

Well, we name hours of the day using numbers, too. Is that so strange? We
could have named them Rising, Breakfast, Early Work, Middle Work, Lunch,
Siesta, etc.

We're not illiterate at all. When the calendar was switched from Julian to
Gregorian, the powers that be decided that since they were going to drop 10
days off the calendar (1582 in Catholic countries) or 11 days (1752 in most
Protestant countries and Britain and its colonies), that they might as well
change New Year's Day.

In the O.S. or Old Style (Julian) calendar, the day after March 24, 1580
would be March 25, 1581. New Year's was held on what was then the first day
of spring. Logical, no? But when the bankers began to get power they
decided that it was best to set the new year during the dead of winter when
less commerce was going on and thus there would be less confusion on the
accounting books. Thus January 1 became new new year. Changing a new year
is not unusual. Many corporations today that have slow summer business run
their fiscal year from July 1 through June 30, for instance.

But they didn't bother changing the names of the months. Why change
something that was unnecessary, given all the other confusion that was
present with the date change and the New Year's change?

Todd Michel McComb

Oct 10, 2015, 8:23:11 PM10/10/15
In article <mvc5up$rjg$1...@dont-email.me>,
David Kaye <sfdavi...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>We're not illiterate at all.

Well, that's a matter of opinion. But I guess I can always rely
on you to defend the powers that be, eh?

David Kaye

Oct 10, 2015, 9:14:23 PM10/10/15
"Todd Michel McComb" <mcc...@medieval.org> wrote

> Well, that's a matter of opinion. But I guess I can always rely
> on you to defend the powers that be, eh?

One does not relate to the other. I will say this, though: I'm not quick
to call people incompetent at their work because there's a lot about their
work that I probably don't know.

Todd Michel McComb

Oct 10, 2015, 10:26:56 PM10/10/15
In article <mvcd1h$dqe$1...@dont-email.me>,
David Kaye <sfdavi...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>I'm not quick to call people incompetent at their work because
>there's a lot about their work that I probably don't know.

Funny, your attitude here seems to be completely the opposite.

Uncle Steve

Oct 10, 2015, 11:21:44 PM10/10/15
ISTR some idiot added two extra months for no good reason. Worse,
they were added in the middle of the year, hence the offset you note
above. Said idiot was likely concerned with nothing more than writing
his name in the history books. Fortunately, succeeding idiots found
other ways to make us remember them and so we are not burdened with
1-week months.

--
The practitioners of Freemasonry are the rabid Islamic extremists of
Christiandom. Heroin makes them invincible and all-knowing, and

David Kaye

Oct 11, 2015, 2:04:43 AM10/11/15
"Uncle Steve" <stev...@gmail.com> wrote

> ISTR some idiot added two extra months for no good reason. Worse,
> they were added in the middle of the year, hence the offset you note
> above.

No, the offset has to do with the change of New Year's from March to
January.