Two Drink Minimum!

Icono Clast

Sep 29, 2005, 7:26:29 AM9/29/05
Just received a report that:
Until this week, a bar was having West Coast Swing dancing on a
week-night. "Was" is the key word as management thought too little money
was being spent by the dancers.

We've discussed this before as it's been a problem for dancers all over
the country. The problem is caused by our niggardliness. It doesn't
matter what you drink; soda, juice, beer, booze, etc. All that matters
is that you make that little cash register bell ring.
A San Franciscan who never says "No!" to an invitation to dance!
< http://geocities.com/dancefest/ >-< http://geocities.com/iconoc/ >
ICQ: < http://wwp.mirabilis.com/19098103 > ---> IClast at SFbay Net

swingman

Sep 29, 2005, 11:20:46 AM9/29/05
This has come up in my community as well. Occasionally there are dancers
who won't spend money, but I think the fact that dancers drink much less
alcohol (at least all the ones I know) than the general club crowd is also
part of the issue. The clubs I'm thinking of couldn't care less about swing
dancers or swing dancing - they were only looking at the bottom-line
($$$$$$$$) and preferred to have a crowd of heavy drinkers emptying their
wallets to loud rock music. Partner dancing is a more civilized activity
and thrives best where it is seen and supported as such.

"Icono Clast" <ICl...@jps.net> wrote in message

Ron N.

Sep 29, 2005, 1:39:16 PM9/29/05
Icono Clast wrote:
> Just received a report that:
> Until this week, a bar was having West Coast Swing dancing on a
> week-night. "Was" is the key word as management thought too little money
> was being spent by the dancers.
>
> We've discussed this before as it's been a problem for dancers all over
> the country. The problem is caused by our niggardliness. It doesn't
> matter what you drink; soda, juice, beer, booze, etc. All that matters
> is that you make that little cash register bell ring.

I think there's a business school name for this kind of situation,
but I forget what it is. If there are two (or more) groups of
customers who might be profitable in two (or more) very different
ways (drinkers by a big bar tab, dancers by large cover charge + free
water/soda's), it is sometimes not possible to make a profit when
they're mixed together so that you can't bill them individually.

One local CW restart has a separate day with a bigger cover charge
just for dancers. If it works, it's because the bigger cover
charge makes up for the fact that the bartender looks lonely and
often only sells bottled water.

IMHO. YMMV.
--
Ron
rhn A.T nicholson d.O.t C-o-M

Unknown

Sep 29, 2005, 6:28:59 PM9/29/05
On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 04:26:29 -0700, Icono Clast <ICl...@jps.net>
wrote:

Ahh. I guess you are refering to the new dance at the Liquid Lounge
in Reno, NV?

--- cut & paste ---

Dancin’ This Week

No more wcs at the liquid lounge:

No More West Coast Swing on Wednesday Nights at the Liquid Lounge.

Although we seemed to have a fairly good turn out of about 30 of the
better WCS dancers in the Reno area last Wednesday night, Management
of the Liquid Lounge expressed great displeasure with the lack of bar
sales. As a result, Management felt a cover charge of $5 - $10 should
be imposed, PLUS a two (2) drink minimum. In addition, Management was
displeased with some alleged rude conduct supposedly directed towards
the bartender, as well as some of the complaints of the dancers about
the lack of a bartender in the dance room.

Since I do not feel that the dance community would support a $5 - $10
cover charge, PLUS a two (2) drink minimum (let me know if you
disagree), I have decided to discontinue all plans to DJ on Wednesday
nights at the Liquid Lounge.

Thanks to all of you who showed up last Wednesday night!

--- cut & paste ---

-- Kevin Heider