Lunar Eclipse

Vasanth BR

Jul 15, 2019, 6:50:39 PM7/15/19
to TS...@yahoogroups.com, subramanya cr, absb...@googlegroups.com, b-...@googlegroups.com, Shyamal Sarkar, ind...@googlegroups.com, Military...@yahoogroups.com, ma...@randhirmishra.com, s_chowdh...@yahoo.com, Swaga...@gmail.com, vas...@learningaccord.com
AN EMAIL TO A DAUGHTER & SON-IN-LAW.

Tue, 16 Jul 19 / 01:32

Dear Shirin & Arun,

Place

Flight

British Standard Time

Indian Standard Time

Duration

Distance

A/C

Speed

Alt

London

BA 119

Tue, 16 Jul / 14:25 (+01:00)

Tue, 16 Jul / 18:55 (+05:30)

B 777

Bengaluru

Wed, 17 Jul / 00:05 (+01:00)

Wed, 17 Jul / 04:35 (+05:30)

09:40 hr

8,010 km

869 km/h

11,280 mt

On Wed, 17 Jul, a Partial Lunar Eclipse begins at (all IST) 01:31:43, reaches Maximum 65% at 03:00:44 and Ends at 04:29:39.

You will be landing in Bengaluru, at 04:35; just 5 minutes after the Eclipse ends.

Solar Eclipses are Virtual. They really do not exist. They are Localised OUR Views of the sun, from an individual on the earth. They are no different from holding an umbrella over your head, when walking under the sun. Instead of the umbrella, you are "holding" the moon over your head, blocking the sun, only to you, locally; only about 30 km around you. It is about 30 km radius circle, because your umbrella is about 1 mt diametre and the moon's diametre is 3,476 km; but then, it is 362,600 km to 405,600 km away.

Lunar Eclipses are real. They are actually happening of an event on the moon. The earth's shadow, is actually falling on the moon.

All the persons in half earth who can see the moon, can see the Eclipse, in the same manner.

When you take off from London, set your watch 04 hr 30 mt head. In that watch, when it is India's time, 01:31:43 (correct to the second), the Eclipse begins.

You can calibrate your watch, correct to the second.

Please try to get a seat on the right side, so that you can get a view on the West side. Do not sit over the wing.

When the Eclipse starts at 01:32, you will be over Oman (wave to Arun's sister Anita). From Oman to Bengaluru, you will fly due South-East.

You do not have to crane your neck. See the moon at level, straight through your window.

This is a rare opportunity, to see the entire Lunar Eclipse of 02 hr 57 mt 56 sc through the window of a plane.

Take your BEST binoculars with you. If you do not have one, purchase it in Belfast or London.

At 11.28 km high, above the atmosphere, your moon sight will be in crystal clear sky.

As the Earth's sharply edged shadow races across the moon's surface, at about 1,000 km per hour, through your binoculars, you will see the edge of the shadow climbing up the moon's mountains and dipping below into the valleys.

From the Earth's surface, the moon appears flat. In reality, the centre of the moon is 1,738 km nearer to you.

From a plane, at 11 km above the Earth's surface, as the Earth's shadow's edge races across the moon's surface, your eyes will suddenly see the moon in 3 dimensions. Just intently stare at the moon. Your brain will suddenly pop up the moon into 3 dimensions.

This is a million pounds worth of experience, which you can NEVER have from the Earth's surface.

Looking forward to meeting you.

DAD

BHU1 LORD

Jul 16, 2019, 2:09:25 AM7/16/19
to b-...@googlegroups.com
No offence but why is this on a public mailing list

keerthi kiran

Jul 16, 2019, 2:38:52 AM7/16/19
to BAS
Hi Vasanth,
Nice to see your mail after a long time :)
It was a nice read... I wish I was on that flight :)
I saw one error in your mail. The eclipse will happen in the eastern sky. So they should get a view on the "East side of the plane".
Also, they can inform the crew so that the crew informs the other passengers. All the best to them. Hope they get to witness a wonderful eclipse (and may be take a photo from the cockpit).

Thanks and Regards,
Keerthi

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/b-a-s/1D38A5782D4646F294EA84241D770F6B%40brv.

keerthi kiran

Jul 16, 2019, 2:51:22 AM7/16/19
to BAS
Hi Bhu1 Lord,
The mail (although written in a personal context) is informational. Also, it is a good read :)

Regards,
Keerthi

On Tue, Jul 16, 2019 at 8:09 AM BHU1 LORD <pdbh...@gmail.com> wrote:

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/b-a-s/1D38A5782D4646F294EA84241D770F6B%40brv.

Message has been deleted

Susam Pal

Jul 16, 2019, 3:15:54 AM7/16/19
to Bangalore Astronomical Society
The eclipse would begin at 01:32 AM IST, i.e., 00:02 AM GST at Oman when the plane is likely flying over Oman. In Muscat (Oman), the moon would rise at 06:39 PM GST in the East-southeast, cross the local meridian at 12:09 AM GST, and set at 05:40 AM GST in the West-southwest [1]. Therefore, when the eclipse would start at 00:02 AM GST, the moon would be in the eastern sky close to the local meridian at Muscat.

But then most of the remaining eclipse seems to take place in the western sky. For example, in Bangalore, the moon would rise at 06:30 PM IST in the East-southeast, cross the local meridian at 12:20 AM IST, and set at 06:10 AM IST in the West-southwest [2]. Therefore, when the eclipse would end at 04:29 AM IST, the moon would be in the western sky ready to set in about 1.5 hours. It looks like most of the eclipse would indeed be visible in the western sky from this particular flight.

[1]: https://www.timeanddate.com/moon/oman/muscat
[2]: https://www.timeanddate.com/moon/india/bangalore

Thanks,
Susam
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to b-...@googlegroups.com.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/b-a-s/1D38A5782D4646F294EA84241D770F6B%40brv.

Shashikiran Kolar

Jul 16, 2019, 9:50:55 AM7/16/19
to Bangalore Astronomical Society
Yes, as Susam says, with respect to Muscat and India, the Moon spends most of its time in the Western half of the sky when it enters the Earth's umbral shadow.

Muscat is 22°, or about 90 minutes, West of Bangalore. So, if the partial eclipse begins at 1.30AM here, it would do so at 12.00AM at Muscat. Since this is the full moon, it's in opposition and hence transits to Western part of the sky at (local) 12.00AM. Also, the plane would be flying Eastwards, causing the Moon would always hang in the Western part of the sky thereon.

That lunar eclipses always begin at the Eastern limb of the Moon was perhaps confused with the Moon being in the Eastern half of the sky?

As an aside, it is likely that certain depictions on temples indicate eclipses. In the attached picture, a snake is seen moving towards a moon (shown as a crescent to perhaps distinguish it from the Sun) and likely indicates Rahu/Ketu about to swallow the Moon causing a lunar eclipse. The temple may have been dedicated during such an event.

Thanks,
-Shashi
Rameshwara temple, Hale Palya, Hassan District, Karnataka.JPG

BHU1 LORD

Jul 16, 2019, 9:56:15 AM7/16/19
to b-...@googlegroups.com
I guess I misunderstood the mail when I first read it as it was written in personal context and thought it was meant to be sent to somebody personally
But I really appreciate the result especially regarding the accurate timings mentioned in the mail
I'm eagerly waiting for the eclipse and wish all of you clear skies

keerthi kiran

Jul 17, 2019, 5:08:39 AM7/17/19
to BAS
Hi Susam, Shashikiran,
You guys are right. I didn't think it through.
For Europe, the eclipse was already underway when the moon rose. So I was only thinking about that.
But for Asia, as you guys said, the eclipse was mostly in the western sky.

Regards,
Keerthi

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/b-a-s/8d275a0b-03e6-4909-bcce-ab5b7dd4c919%40googlegroups.com.

BHU1 LORD

Jul 17, 2019, 5:11:43 AM7/17/19
to b-...@googlegroups.com
Did anybody get some good pictures of the eclipse
Here the clouds started moving SW during max eclipse and the moon was completely covered
I would really appreciate if somebody got a pic of the moon during max eclipse

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/b-a-s/8d275a0b-03e6-4909-bcce-ab5b7dd4c919%40googlegroups.com.

keerthi kiran

Jul 17, 2019, 5:15:24 AM7/17/19
to b-...@googlegroups.com
I can't call them good photos. But I got a few from Paris from my balcony.

Regards,
Keerthi

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/b-a-s/8d275a0b-03e6-4909-bcce-ab5b7dd4c919%40googlegroups.com.

PSX_20190716_234309.jpg
20190717030019__MG_1631.JPG.jpg
PSX_20190716_234137.jpg

BHU1 LORD

Jul 17, 2019, 5:20:27 AM7/17/19
to b-...@googlegroups.com
the pictures are awesome
I really wished I had that crystal clear sky here

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/b-a-s/8d275a0b-03e6-4909-bcce-ab5b7dd4c919%40googlegroups.com.

Ajay Talwar

Jul 17, 2019, 5:50:55 AM7/17/19
to b-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bhuvan,
Here is an image of last night's eclipse.
This image of the Lunar eclipse was shot at 02:52 AM (I.S.T.) on 17 July, using the 14inch telescope and Hyperstar lens. Location - Tijara, Rajasthan.

This image is a HDR composite of 5 images, clicked in quick succession, and varying exposures. The longer exposure was good for the darker portion of the eclipse, and the shorter exposure was good for the brighter part of the Moon, which was not inside the umbra. The 5 images were combined to show the brighter as well as the darker portions of this partial lunar eclipse together in an HDR image.

Monsoon clouds can be seen all around the eclipsed moon.

Ajay Talwar

Nightscape Gallery: www.ajaytalwar.com/gallery
TWAN Gallery: www.twanight.org/talwar

2019-07-17 Partial Lunar Eclipse Hyperstar HDR.jpg

BHU1 LORD

Jul 17, 2019, 6:05:55 AM7/17/19
to b-...@googlegroups.com
This picture is worth all the effort you put into it
I like how to incorporated the clouds into the picture, it gives kind of a mysterious feel to it

keerthi kiran

Jul 17, 2019, 7:58:22 AM7/17/19
to b-...@googlegroups.com
Here are some good photos clicked by Prabhu Kutti, Naveen and Niranjan from our WhatsApp group.
Regards,
Keerthi
IMG-20190717-WA0000.jpg
IMG-20190716-WA0045.jpg
IMG-20190716-WA0043.jpg
IMG-20190717-WA0001.jpg
IMG-20190716-WA0041.jpg

keerthi kiran

Jul 17, 2019, 7:59:50 AM7/17/19
to b-...@googlegroups.com
Awesome image Ajay :)
But don't share it with TV channels, they will use it will special effects to scare people... :D

Huligun .com

Jul 17, 2019, 1:46:28 PM7/17/19
to b-...@googlegroups.com
Good photos all, thanks for sharing !!!

Akarsh Simha

Jul 18, 2019, 3:14:52 AM7/18/19
to b-...@googlegroups.com
Yes, very nice to hear from Vasanth after a long long time!

ashiq

Jul 18, 2019, 9:16:32 AM7/18/19
to b-...@googlegroups.com