Tombstone 600K weather forecast

Carlton Van Leuven

Apr 13, 2012, 6:54:09 PM4/13/12
to AZRandon
Just checked the weather forecast for Tucson & Tombstone tomorrow (day
of ride)...
...25mph winds (from the SW, 60% chance of rain, unseasonably cold
temperatures.

Good times.
Thoughts of setting a new personal best are waning.

Hey Susan...can I 'post'-ride?
lol.

Carlton Van Leuven

Apr 13, 2012, 7:00:02 PM4/13/12
to AZRandon
I think I'm coming down with a cold...cough, cough.

Susan Plonsky

Apr 13, 2012, 7:07:45 PM4/13/12
to joni...@gmail.com, AZRandon
LOL.

No such thing as a "post ride", and too late for a pre-ride! Golly. That's
tough.

susan

Carlton Van Leuven

Apr 13, 2012, 7:11:25 PM4/13/12
to Susan Plonsky, AZRandon

at this point, any report of worsening weather just makes the ride more appealing.

On Apr 13, 2012 4:07 PM, "Susan Plonsky" <su...@azbrevet.com> wrote:
LOL.

No such thing as a "post ride", and too late for a pre-ride! Golly. That's tough.

susan

----- Original Message ----- From: "Carlton Van Leuven" <joni...@gmail.com>

Susan Plonsky

Apr 13, 2012, 7:22:37 PM4/13/12
to joni...@gmail.com, AZRandon
You're an animal.

Steve Atkins

Apr 13, 2012, 7:43:47 PM4/13/12
to joni...@gmail.com, Susan Plonsky, AZRandon
Its good to see Susan's gift for scheduling brevets is back on form!!!

I will be in Indianapolis in the rain on Saturday, but not on a bike.

Cheers!

Steve

Apr 13, 2012, 7:49:04 PM4/13/12
to su...@azbrevet.com, <jonifide5@gmail.com>, AZRandon
Things are improving. The hourly forecast for tomorrow has gusts at 41 mph which is down from an earlier forecast of 47 mph gusts. :-)

David Brake and I at the Comfort Inn already. Patrick Sims from Sweet-Home-Alabama is here also.

See some of y'all at 7 pm.

Cheers,
Gerry

Mike Enfield

Apr 13, 2012, 8:53:38 PM4/13/12
to joni...@gmail.com, Susan Plonsky, AZRandon
You could join us for this weekend's Multiple Sclerosis 'Ride the Vortex'! Snow is in the forecast!

Sent from my iPhone
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to azrandon+u...@googlegroups.com.

Carlton Van Leuven

Apr 16, 2012, 12:25:17 PM4/16/12
to Mike Enfield, Susan Plonsky, AZRandon
For once...the weather report was correct.
Except the 47mph wind had hail in it.

Sunday was quite beautiful:-)

SusanPlonsky

Apr 16, 2012, 11:57:34 PM4/16/12
to AZRandon
Is anyone going to write a ride report for last weekend? I'm dying to
hear.

Susan

Carlton Van Leuven

Apr 16, 2012, 11:59:25 PM4/16/12
to su...@azbrevet.com, AZRandon

i wrote one...will send tomorrow.

Carlton Van Leuven

Apr 17, 2012, 10:46:11 AM4/17/12
to su...@azbrevet.com, AZRandon
My ride report is attached.
Sorry, I don't have a blog space or other internet means for posting this report.
-Carlton

2012 Tombstone 600K_Carlton.doc

Mike Sturgill

Apr 17, 2012, 11:01:27 AM4/17/12
to AZRandon
Congratulations on a tough completion! I'm even more happy that I was in CA for the weekend!

Susan Plonsky

Apr 17, 2012, 11:19:53 AM4/17/12
to Carlton Van Leuven, AZRandon
Carlton,

This was definitely an achievement to celebrate. It wasn't your worst 600k time, it was your best 600k in a typhoon.

The parts of the story I like the best are about problem solving. Things aren't going right, but you're thinking and trying to stay alive. It would've been easy to turn back and give up at each obstacle.

Susan
Wow what an epic ride. Rain and then sleet backed up by strong winds on the first day, then a cold cold night of riding, followed by some serious climbs on the final 200k. Ilyssa and I finished at 915pm, after riding straight through without a sleep stop, and coming in within a few minutes of the checkpoint times all day Sunday. We waved to Carlton and the two Canadian riders coming down from Oracle as we were going up, who else finished?

--Ryan

Carlton Van Leuven

Apr 17, 2012, 2:14:41 PM4/17/12
to AZRandon
I think it was just the 5 of us.
This was a brevet of attrition
-Carlton.

On Apr 17, 8:23 am, Ryan Guzy <ryang...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Wow what an epic ride. Rain and then sleet backed up by strong winds on the
> first day, then a cold cold night of riding, followed by some serious
> climbs on the final 200k. Ilyssa and I finished at 915pm, after riding
> straight through without a sleep stop, and coming in within a few minutes
> of the checkpoint times all day Sunday. We waved to Carlton and the two
> Canadian riders coming down from Oracle as we were going up, who else
> finished?
>
> --Ryan
>

> On Tuesday, April 17, 2012, Susan Plonsky wrote:
> > **
> > Carlton,
>
> > This was definitely an achievement to celebrate. It wasn't your worst 600k
> > time, it was your best 600k in a typhoon.
>
> > The parts of the story I like the best are about problem solving. Things
> > aren't going right, but you're thinking and trying to stay alive. It
> > would've been easy to turn back and give up at each obstacle.
>
> > Susan

Ryan Guzy

Apr 17, 2012, 5:09:53 PM4/17/12
to joni...@gmail.com, AZRandon
Crazy. We thought that might be the case when we saw the three of you headed back.

Great ride report Carlton, and to answer your question about how close we were on the time cutoffs, we had 0min in Sahuarita, 10min in Marana, around 15min in San Manuel, and 45min by the end. Ilyssa was running on pure determination to get her first SR. Cold, sleep deprivation, and knee pain took their toll, but we figured out what we had to average to make each checkpoint on time and we made it happen.

Lots of aspects of this ride reminded me of my PBP last year. Whether or not this becomes the route for future AZ 600Ks I'd definitely recommend making it the route in PBP years, especially if we can guarantee some of Susan's patented weather conditions.

--Ryan

Carlton Van Leuven

Apr 17, 2012, 5:55:28 PM4/17/12
to AZRandon
Congratulations on your first SR, Illysa!!
This brevet will be talked about in the years to come...you are now a
lean, mean Rando machine.

On Apr 17, 2:09 pm, Ryan Guzy <ryang...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Crazy. We thought that might be the case when we saw the three of you
> headed back.
>
> Great ride report Carlton, and to answer your question about how close we
> were on the time cutoffs, we had 0min in Sahuarita, 10min in Marana, around
> 15min in San Manuel, and 45min by the end. Ilyssa was running on pure
> determination to get her first SR. Cold, sleep deprivation, and knee pain
> took their toll, but we figured out what we had to average to make each
> checkpoint on time and we made it happen.
>
> Lots of aspects of this ride reminded me of my PBP last year. Whether or
> not this becomes the route for future AZ 600Ks I'd definitely recommend
> making it the route in PBP years, especially if we can guarantee some of
> Susan's patented weather conditions.
>
> --Ryan

DistanceBiker.com

Apr 17, 2012, 10:56:51 PM4/17/12
to su...@azbrevet.com, AZRandon
Great report Carlton! Yeah, earlier this winter I finally broke down and got some $90 Gore-tex style mountaineering gloves for my digits (I got 2nd degree finger frostbite on a scout trip many years ago...as I was frantically trying to get a bunch of 12-yr olds into tents in sub-zero temps). I hate combining cold weather with the wind chill of road cycling. And then rain and sleet on top of that! NICE solo 600K. True test of endurance.
I gotta run and get brevet cards for our first Utah brevet of the season this Sat. Wow, we have about a dozen people signed up...a new record for our newbie RUSA region.
Cheers,
Rando Richard
RandoRichard.com (blog)
Distance Biker (roadie gear)
eoGEAR (rando & SUP bags)
RUSA member # 4638 & UMCA member # 5305

Steve Atkins

Apr 18, 2012, 11:21:30 PM4/18/12
to joni...@gmail.com, su...@azbrevet.com, AZRandon
Carlton:

I found this list of 'The Rules' related to road riding, most apply to randonneurning, some don't; this one does:

Rule #9
 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Fair-weather riding is a luxury reserved for Sunday afternoons and wide boulevards. Those who ride in foul weather – be it cold, wet, or inordinately hot – are members of a special club of riders who, on the morning of a big ride, pull back the curtain to check the weather and, upon seeing rain falling from the skies, allow a wry smile to spread across their face. This is a rider who loves the work.

Hats off the the AZ and Canadian Randonnueurs who faced off against weather, entered the arena, and didn't shy away from this epic.

Bravo!

Steve A.

> I found this list of 'The Rules' related to road riding, most apply to randonneurning, some don't; this one does:
>
> Rule #9
>  // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
> Fair-weather riding is a luxury reserved for Sunday afternoons and wide boulevards.
> Those who ride in foul weather – be it cold, wet, or inordinately hot –
> are members of a special club of riders who, on the morning of a big
> ride, pull back the curtain to check the weather and, upon seeing rain
> falling from the skies, allow a wry smile to spread across their face.
> This is a rider who loves the work.
>
> Hats off the the AZ and Canadian Randonnueurs who faced off against weather, entered the arena, and didn't shy away from this epic.
>
> Bravo!
>
> Steve A.

DistanceBiker.com

Apr 19, 2012, 6:54:00 PM4/19/12