How to display tamil text in website in different fonts?

Viswalinga Surya S

Dec 5, 2013, 8:53:13 AM12/5/13
to azh...@googlegroups.com
How to display tamil text in websites in different unicode fonts? I use www.fontsquirrel.com to convert normal fonts to webfont and embed in a website. And I have downloaded the unicode fonts by Ila.Sundaram and converted to webfont by the previous said procedure and embedded in the site. But the tamil text are been displayed in the default font only. I could not see any differences in the website. Any ideas?

Sample code:

@font-face{
font-family: 'Tamil Font';
src: url('../fonts/tamilfont.eot?34764916');
src: url('../fonts/tamilfont.eot?34764916#iefix') format('embedded-opentype'),
url('../fonts/tamilfont.woff?34764916') format('woff'),
url('../fonts/tamilfont.ttf?34764916') format('truetype'),
url('../fonts/tamilfont.svg?34764916#tamilfont') format('svg');
font-weight: normal;
font-style: normal;
}

And font face declaration for sample text. font-family: "Tamil Font", Helvetica, Arial;

Viswanathan (a z h a g i . c o m)

Dec 6, 2013, 8:13:50 AM12/6/13
to azhagi google group, anbin...@gmail.com
Note: Cc of this mail to Mr. Navarajan

Dear Mr. Viswalinga Surya,

Please read below the mail correspondences between me and Mr. Navarajan (webmaster of www.anbinmadal.org). As you can see, he has succeeded to a very good extent in showing web page contents in different Unicode font styles in various browsers. You can contact him directly for knowing further details on the methodologies adopted by him.

Meanwhile, I have requested Mr. Navarajan to email his efforts as an article to our group (if he has no problems in joining our group) AND/OR post about it in his website so that I can give a link to that page in http://azhagi.com/free1.html which will benefit many others who are in great need to show web page contents in different unicode font styles.

Today morning, when we were talking, Mr. Navarajan told that he has no problems in me sharing the following mail correspondences with our group. He also informed that for IE8 and below (in which the contents appear still in default Latha font only) alone, he will use the traditional ".eot" format - work for which he will finish at some point of time in future.

In his recent mail to me today, he had suggested me to see the link http://www.anbinmadal.org/dailyword/dailywords.html. When I visited this page, I was able to see Unicode texts in different unicode font styles in both google chrome and firefox, but not in IE8 (as already mentioned by Mr. Navarajan).

Kindly ack. receipt of this mail, when possible.

with prayers and warm regards - viswanathan, azhagi.com

You have slept for millions of years. This morning, will you not wake? - Sant Kabir

Dec 14, 2013, 6:14:35 AM12/14/13
to azh...@googlegroups.com

அன்புமிக்க விசுவநாதன்,

வணக்கம்.

இணையதளம் அல்லாத, சாதாரண மின்னஞ்சல் செய்திகளை, (குறிப்பாக ஜிமெயில்) இது போன்று, நாம் விரும்பும் எழுத்துருவில் அனுப்ப வழிமுறை உள்ளதா?

தற்போது, ஜிமெயிலில் உள்ள எழுத்துருக்கள் ஆங்கிலத்திற்கு மட்டுமே பயன்படும். Copy-Paste முறையில் Arial Unicode MS கொண்டுவர முயற்சித்தேன். ஆனால் வெற்றி பெற முடியவில்லை. Paste செய்தவுடன், செய்தி Default mode – Sans Serf க்கு வந்துவிடுகிறது.

அன்புடன்,

கி. அனந்தநாராயணன்

2013/12/6 Viswanathan (a z h a g i . c o m) <nobleh...@gmail.com>
This group is affiliated to www.azhagi.com, which hosts the free and unique indic softwares Azhagi+ and Azhagi.

You can visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/azhagi
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "அழகி (Azhagi)" group.

Viswanathan (a z h a g i . c o m)

Dec 18, 2013, 3:19:21 AM12/18/13
to azhagi google group
Dear Sir,

Due to time constraint and certain other factors, I am unable to reply in detail.

In short, in whichever Unicode font (for e.g. Arial Unicode MS^ or Tscu_SaiIndra#) you email your Tamil text, if that font is available in the receiver's system, he/she will see your Tamil text in that font itself*. Otherwise, receiver will see it in default## Tamil font (Latha or Vijaya) only.

(*) Exceptions might arise but I am not going into the details, as mentioned at the start of this mail.

(#) Tscu_SaiIndira - If you are not aware yet, Tscu_SaiIndira is a Unicode font. It can be very well used for one's Unicode typing, printing and publishing needs. It gets installed automatically along with 'Azhagi'. It is downloadable individually also from http://azhagi.com/freefonts.html. Please see point 2 in https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!searchin/azhagi/Tscu_SaiIndira/azhagi/-Qauwbk7Cl0/cxunvpfvLYUJ [Users' doubts - 10 (Unicode Fonts Lister, TSCu_SaiIndira)] for additional details on Tscu_SaiIndira.

(##) The default font used by the Windows operating system for each of the major Indian languages is listed at http://azhagi.com/unicodeff.html

(^) I did read your email in 'Arial Unicode MS' font style only. I have that font installed in my system. If anybody does not have that font in their system, the way to install the same has been explained by me step-by-step at http://azhagi.com/arial-unicode-ms.html

Kindly ack. receipt of this mail, when possible.

with prayers and warm regards - viswanathan, azhagi.com

You have slept for millions of years. This morning, will you not wake? - Sant Kabir

T.Raguveeradayal

Dec 18, 2013, 6:21:14 AM12/18/13
to azh...@googlegroups.com, k.ananthana...@gmail.com
Sri Vishy,

adiyen,
dasan,
T. Raguveeradayal
C/O SRIRANGAM SRIMAD
ANDAVAN ASHRAMAM,
THIRUPPULLANI 623532
04567-254242//919443301091
http://thiruppul.blogspot.com
http://thiruthiru.wordpress.com

On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 1:49 PM, Viswanathan (a z h a g i . c o m) <nobleh...@gmail.com> wrote:
Boxbe This message is eligible for Automatic Cleanup! (nobleh...@gmail.com) Add cleanup rule | More info

[...]

Viswanathan (a z h a g i . c o m)

Dec 19, 2013, 8:40:34 AM12/19/13
to azh...@googlegroups.com
Dear Sir,

I just browsed through the link you have sent. They have given a methodology for English fonts. I did not try it out, even for English fonts.

So, whether the methodology works for Tamil Unicode fonts has to be tested out by Sri Ananthanarayanan sir or you or any other member only, as and when time/interest permits. The findings of the tests (as and when they happen) may be kindly shared in our group so that those interested can act according to those findings.

with prayers and warm regards - viswanathan, india.azhagi.com

You have slept for millions of years. This morning, will you not wake? - Sant Kabir

Dec 19, 2013, 8:16:34 AM12/19/13
to azh...@googlegroups.com

Dear sir
Do u have app for android mobile
Regards
Ranganathan

Viswanathan (a z h a g i . c o m)

Dec 19, 2013, 8:48:41 AM12/19/13
to azh...@googlegroups.com
Dear Sri Ranganathan,

In other words, visit http://india.azhagi.com and look under the section 'Mobile computing in Indian languages' for details.

with prayers and warm regards - viswanathan, azhagi.com

You have slept for millions of years. This morning, will you not wake? - Sant Kabir

Due to time constraint and certain other factors, I am unable to reply in detail.

..
.

Ananthanarayanan Krishnan

Dec 20, 2013, 5:30:28 AM12/20/13
to azh...@googlegroups.com

அன்புமிக்க விசுவநாதன்,

வணக்கம்.

உங்கள் கடிதத்தில் உள்ள தகவல்கள், இணையத் தொடர்புகள் (links) ஆகியவற்றை ஆழமாகப் படித்துத் தெளிவு பெற்றேன். நான் தெரிந்து கொண்டதைப் பகிர்ந்து கொள்கிறேன்.

என் முதல் கடிதத்தில் “Copy-Paste முறையில் Arial Unicode MS கொண்டுவர முயற்சித்தேன். ஆனால் வெற்றி பெற முடியவில்லை. Paste செய்தவுடன், செய்தி Default mode - Sans Serf க்கு வந்துவிடுகிறது. என்று நான் கூறியிருந்தது, நான் அனுப்பும் செய்திகளை என் கணினியில் பார்த்ததை அடிப்படையாகக்கொண்டு எழுதப்பட்டது. அவ்வாறுதான் எல்லோருக்கும் தெரியும் என்று நான் நினைத்தேன்.

ஆனால் உங்கள் பதிலில் “I did read your email in Arial Unicode MS font style only” என்று கூறியதிலிருந்து, இந்தப் பிரச்சினை என் கணினியின் default positions (latha and Arial Unicode MS) தொடர்பான பிரச்சினை என்பது புரிந்தது.

நீங்கள் எழுத்துருக்கள்பற்றி கொடுத்திருந்த விரிவான தகவல்களைப் பயன்படுத்தி மேலும் ஆராய்ந்ததில், TScu_Saiindira எழுத்துருவைப் நான் பயன்படுத்தினால், நான் அனுப்பும் செய்திகள், அதே எழுத்துருவில் என் கணினியிலும் தெரியும், பெறுபவர்கள் கணினியிலும் தெரியும் என்பது விளங்கியது. மேலும், இது யூனிகோட் எழுத்துருவானதால், Arial Unicode MS போன்றே, இதிலும், அவர்களிடம் TScu_Saiindira இருந்தாலும், இல்லாவிட்டாலும், செய்திகளைப் படிப்பதில் ஒரு பிரச்சினையும் இருக்காது என்பதும் வெளிப்படை. ஆகவே இன்றிலிருந்து, என் கணினிப் பயன்பாட்டில் TScu_Saiindira எழுத்துருவிற்கு மாறிவிட்டேன்.

நண்பர் திரு ரகுவீரதயாள் அனுப்பியிருந்த இணையத்தொடர்பில் உள்ள “canned responses” வழிமுறையையும், நான் ஏற்கெனவே எனது கூகுள் ஆய்விலிருந்து தெரிந்து கொண்டு பரிசோதித்துப் பார்த்திருந்தேன். இங்கும் அதே பிரச்சினை தொடர்ந்தது. ஆனால் இப்போது, TScu_Saiindira பயன்படுத்தி மீண்டும் முயற்சித்தபோது, இம்முறை வேலை செய்வதைக் கண்டறிந்தேன். நான் வழக்கமாகப் பயன்படுத்தும் copy-paste வழிமுறை என் தேவைக்குப் போதுமானதாக இருந்தாலும், நேரடியாக மின்னஞ்சல் பதிவு செய்பவர்கள், அதிலுள்ள எழுத்துருவிற்கு மாற்று தேவை என்று கருதினால், இம்முறையை உபயோகிக்கலாம். திரு ரகுவீரதயாளுக்கு என் நன்றி.

ஆலோசனை கூறி, என் பிரச்சினையைத் தீர்த்ததற்கு, உங்களுக்கு மிக்க மிக்க நன்றி.

நட்புடன்,

அனந்தநாராயணன்

Viswanathan (a z h a g i . c o m)

Dec 21, 2013, 4:34:28 AM12/21/13
to azhagi google group
Dear Sir,

I am delighted to read your mail. Perhaps this is the first time I have seen a mail written in "Tscu_SaiIndira" font in our group. Felt very good. Thank you Sir.

// நண்பர் திரு ரகுவீரதயாள் அனுப்பியிருந்த இணையத்தொடர்பில் உள்ள “canned responses” வழிமுறையையும், நான் ஏற்கெனவே எனது கூகுள் ஆய்விலிருந்து தெரிந்து கொண்டு பரிசோதித்துப் பார்த்திருந்தேன். இங்கும் அதே பிரச்சினை தொடர்ந்தது. ஆனால் இப்போது, TScu_Saiindira பயன்படுத்தி மீண்டும் முயற்சித்தபோது, இம்முறை வேலை செய்வதைக் கண்டறிந்தேன். //
Thank you so much for your research and sharing this very useful information, Sir. Thanks a lot to Raghuveeradayal Sir too for being a catalyst in renewing your research. These kinds of research and contributions from users will help developers too a lot. Thanks once again. Like you, there are also quite a few enthusiastic users (even those who are NOT native of India) from around the world (Assam, Hyderabad, Brazil, etc.) typing in other Indian languages as well (Assamese, Sanskrit, Telugu, etc.) who try out the various unique/special features of Azhagi/Azhagi+ (viz. changing the existing key mappings for any language - http://azhagi.com/hnd/changekms.html, creating one's own keyboard layout - http://azhagi.com/hnd/createlfks.html, auto&reverse transliterations - http://azhagi.com/ards.html, etc.) and share with me the joy of thus getting immensely benefitted through Azhagi/Azhagi+ which helps me in turn too to share their findings/joy/contributions/benefits with other users who need the same for their own benefit and also for the benefit of this society as a whole for one noble purpose or other.

அன்பே சிவம். பணிவே சக்தி.

மிக்க பணிவன்புடன்,
விஸ்வநாதன்

with prayers and warm regards - viswanathan, india.azhagi.com

You have slept for millions of years. This morning, will you not wake? - Sant Kabir

Raj Jayaraj

Apr 28, 2014, 4:32:56 AM4/28/14
to azh...@googlegroups.com

please help me how to display tamil font in my web page.
please tell me all procedure.
i dont know anything