[Broomstick] Away3d + Custom AGAL

Ross Smith

Jun 22, 2011, 9:46:09 PM6/22/11
to away3...@googlegroups.com
Hi there core Away3d devs,

If this is a question better suited for the support forum, I'll move it over - just let me know.

I'd like to create an app that uses Away3d for the lion's share of its 3d processing, but with an extra handful of AGAL / shaders I've written myself.  I know that vertex, constant, and texture registers are very limited, and my bet is Away3d manages them very closely.  That being the case, it is all too likely that when I write my registers, programs, etc to the graphics card for processing that I'm overwriting data Away3d depends on and does not expect to change.

Is there any recourse for this?  Does, or can, Away3d expose events/hooks that let me safely write my own data to the graphics card registers for my own AGAL programs?  Is there a set of registers that Away3d does not touch, and which I can safely use?  (I doubt the latter is feasible but it never hurts to ask.)

I would hate to think that any fancy GPGPL madness would be totally incompatible with Away3d at runtime.

--
Ross Smith
evolut...@gmail.com

Ross Smith

Jun 27, 2011, 8:42:10 AM6/27/11
to away3...@googlegroups.com
Any ideas?  If it's a no-go, that's fine; would just like to know for sure.

Thanks,
Ross
--
Ross Smith
evolut...@gmail.com

Li

Jun 27, 2011, 9:42:44 AM6/27/11
to away3...@googlegroups.com
Hey Ross,

Not at the moment. Some of us are working on this kind of stuff though so it should be possible in the future.
Please use the forum for future comms.

Cheers,
li

Michael Iv

Jun 27, 2011, 10:49:39 AM6/27/11
to away3...@googlegroups.com

Rob Bateman

Jun 28, 2011, 9:27:52 AM6/28/11
to away3...@googlegroups.com
fancy GPGPL madness is entirely possible with the Away3D framework as it currently, is, however the necessary code needs to be wrapped in a custom shader method class for it to be accessible to Away3D's shader compiler. Later, we hope to add native support for things like PB3D although there are currently no plans to create our own shading language (as we feel there are enough of those as it is!). When constructing a custom shader class, there are a number of useful utilities methods that can be used to simplify what can quickly be a tangled mess of AGAL-based register references. Check out some of the pre-built shader method classes if you are interested

cheers

Rob
--
Rob Bateman
Flash Development & Consultancy

rob.b...@gmail.com
www.infiniteturtles.co.uk
www.away3d.com

Ross Smith

Jun 28, 2011, 11:01:17 AM6/28/11
to away3...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Rob!  Glad to hear it.  I take it I would have to implement the ShadingMethodBase subclass as a fragment shader and not a vertex shader?

I'll poke around there and ask any further questions in the support forum.

Best,
--Ross
--
Ross Smith
evolut...@gmail.com

makc

Jun 28, 2011, 11:34:37 AM6/28/11
to Away3D.dev
> Please use the forum for future comms.

btw what's the group for now?

Li

Jun 28, 2011, 12:14:27 PM6/28/11
to away3...@googlegroups.com
What do you mean makc?

makc

Jun 28, 2011, 1:24:33 PM6/28/11
to Away3D.dev
well you said to an other guy he should use forums, and I read that as
if the group was no longer appropriate for support questions... since
forums are there

richardolsson

Jun 28, 2011, 1:36:32 PM6/28/11
to Away3D.dev
@makc:
That's semi-correct. We would like to move over to the forums
completely eventually, but it's still ok to ask questions here. We are
not deprecating the google list just yet.

Cheers
/R

Li

Jun 28, 2011, 2:13:27 PM6/28/11
to away3...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, I'm just letting everyone know about the forum as I reply to some posts here. Thats all.