Researching and developing new technology within an academic AV department

Mike Tomei - Ithaca College

Mar 28, 2014, 11:30:55 AM3/28/14
to av...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,

I'm curious about how all of you in academic AV departments handle the research and development of new technology?  I feel like we spend all of our time "keeping the lights on" rather than devoting time to looking at new technology and technology trends.  The R&D aspect of my job gets shoehorned in at lunch reading a trade magazine, quick calls with manufacturer reps, or on my own time participating in groups like AV-1.

What position within your department is usually responsible for research, testing and implementing new AV technology?  What other duties are they responsible for, other than R&D?  Does anyone have a full time employee solely responsible for these tasks?

It really seems that department leaders need to instill a culture of technology R&D and long term technology planning, rather than putting all the emphasis on the day-to-day scramble of support.  Has anyone successfully and formally implemented such thinking within their department?

Thanks for your feedback.

Ithaca College

Todd Hughes

Mar 28, 2014, 11:40:42 AM3/28/14
to av...@googlegroups.com

Here at Duquesne I handle the R&D.  I am task with consulting with departments on what projects they need, designing those projects, the equipment acquisition and project management of each project.  I do a lot of the R&D often in the design stages of projects.  We have a Director and then 4 full time staff in the office plus 6 students.  The students do the general filter cleaning and first tier support.  The 4 of us then each have an area of expertise (Programmer, System builder, Computers, system design) and handle the maintenance that the students can’t.

Todd Hughes

Duquesne University

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "The AV-1 Forum" group.

Steven Douglas

Mar 28, 2014, 12:02:41 PM3/28/14
to av...@googlegroups.com
Interesting question. Like you most of my R&D is reading articles and postings on this and other groups. There are two people on our campus charged with R&D, design, install, and maintenance with maintenance getting the greater amount of our time. Attending events like InfoComm is a great value but it is seen by our new management as a reward for good work rather than a source for new information and training. Staying linked through groups like av-1, CCUMC, LinkedIn, etc. is a good resource. There are skilled people out there who are willing to share experiences and I like to take advantage of that.

Regards,

Steven Douglas, Media Engineer
Central Washington University
ITS - Media Support
400 E University Way
Ellensburg, WA 98926-7436

PH. 509-963-1232, FAX. 509-963-1169
eM. dou...@cwu.edu
www.cwu.edu/~media

>>> Mike Tomei - Ithaca College <Mike...@gmail.com> 3/28/2014 8:30 AM >>>
Mike Tomei <http://www.linkedin.com/in/miketomei>

Gary Russell

Mar 28, 2014, 6:16:09 PM3/28/14
to av...@googlegroups.com
Mike,
I don't think your situation is unique. Most of the design is handle through an Assistant Director of Classroom Technology. We speak to faculty and staff to get a feel for what they want to see implemented and then we base our installations around that. We go to Infocomm, read trade magazines, read the A/V-1 comments and research on our own when we want to know more about trends and equipment.

Mahan, Ron

Mar 28, 2014, 7:24:06 PM3/28/14
to av...@googlegroups.com

Not to be simplistic here, but I think it’s important that in addition to your own research, your vendors of choice can play a role here. It seems like they need to hear from you periodically in regard to your technical goals and challenges, then allow them to communicate from their standpoint, where they see the manufacturers and technology headed.

For example, if we are looking at Hybrid projector technology, 1080p, HDBaseT, and HDMI only switchers, it seems like they have an incentive to be on the lookout for that, and can give advice as to the purchases made (generally not specifically) by other schools.

I would be interested to know if anyone is using web conferencing with other peer schools to get this valuable information, in-lieu of being able to travel to national or region conferences.

Ron Mahan
Media Engineer
Information Technology Services

502 E. Boone Ave.
Spokane, WA 99258-0095
w 509-313-3825

C 509-994-1937
www.Gonzaga.edu/ITS
Gonzaga ITS: Connecting People, Information and Ideas

Dechter, Christopher

Mar 31, 2014, 10:00:01 AM3/31/14
to av...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mike,

Good question— ostensibly, R&D would fall on my shoulders as part of my duties, but I spend a lot of time in preventive maintenance and administrative tasks and end up doing research in the early stages of designing a new system.  On some of our larger projects, there is more effort put in to research and meeting with manufacturer reps or testing demo equipment, but that doesn't happen more than once a year or so.  I do try to keep up with the industry rags and mags, but I have a stack of SCN issues here that I've yet to page through.  It sounds like I'm not alone in this predicament, so that's some solace.

Chris

--
Christopher Dechter
Classroom Technology Services

From: Mike Tomei - Ithaca College <Mike...@gmail.com>
Date: Friday, March 28, 2014 10:30 AM
To: "av...@googlegroups.com" <av...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: [av-1] Researching and developing new technology within an academic AV department

Dechter, Christopher

Mar 31, 2014, 10:06:01 AM3/31/14
to av...@googlegroups.com
No way, Ron--  I horde my information and refuse to share!

I kid, I kid.   Besides, I think some of those mini-tradeshow/conferences we put together were quite helpful.  Did anyone host one after Steven in 2010?

Chris

--
Christopher Dechter
Classroom Technology Services
University of Missouri - Kansas City

Mahan, Ron

Mar 31, 2014, 5:27:44 PM3/31/14
to av...@googlegroups.com

Seattle Community Network Magazine, yea, I get that too.

Ronald L Mahan / TES Engineer

image001.emz

Mahan, Ron

Mar 31, 2014, 6:32:32 PM3/31/14
to av...@googlegroups.com

I think there was one at Carroll college (2012), but I was unable to go, then last year they went to a larger deal at SeaTac, I think. We just don’t have the attendance to pay off for the vendors that pay for everything.

Ronald L Mahan / TES Engineer

Mar 31, 2014, 6:51:44 PM3/31/14
to av...@googlegroups.com
The one at SeaTac wasn't much bigger than the ones at Eastern or Central I don't think. It was also for any customer, not aimed primarily at Higher Ed. and I'm not sure we had as many Higher Ed folks in attendance but a lot more of everyone else. How's Missouri treating you Christopher?

Steve

Steven Douglas, Media Engineer
Central Washington University
ITS - Media Support
400 E University Way
Ellensburg, WA 98926-7436

PH. 509-963-1232, FAX. 509-963-1169
eM. dou...@cwu.edu
www.cwu.edu/~media

>>> "Mahan, Ron" <ma...@its.gonzaga.edu> 3/31/2014 3:32 PM >>>
I think there was one at Carroll college (2012), but I was unable to go, then last year they went to a larger deal at SeaTac, I think. We just don't have the attendance to pay off for the vendors that pay for everything.

[Ronald L Mahan / TES Engineer]

From: <Mahan>, Ron <ma...@its.gonzaga.edu<mailto:ma...@its.gonzaga.edu>>
Date: Friday, March 28, 2014 6:24 PM
To: "av...@googlegroups.com<mailto:av...@googlegroups.com>" <av...@googlegroups.com<mailto:av...@googlegroups.com>>