Dear VGA: Don't slam the door on your way out.

Thomas, Harry (CIV)

Apr 23, 2014, 11:52:03 AM4/23/14
to av...@googlegroups.com
Anybody still including VGA support in new presentation systems? If you are, what/who is driving that demand? Since XP is now verboten for many, those legacy VGA-only laptops are being forced out.

We included VGA in our last group of classroom updates because we could, and were still seeing faculty with old laptops, but I’m in favor of eliminating it in all future systems since virtually all new laptops have some form of digital output, and we have no need to support any other analog sources. Money spent supporting VGA in the AV system could be better spent buying new laptops for then small number of hangers-on.

I’m wondering how long products like the DMPS300 will need to include VGA. I would rather see more STP inputs and outputs than have the space & money used by VGA hardware.

Harry
------------------------------------
Harry Thomas

AV/VTC Engineer
Educational Technologies
Naval Postgraduate School
Monterey, California

Michael Urgo

Apr 23, 2014, 12:03:23 PM4/23/14
to av...@googlegroups.com
Hi Harry -

We still include a VGA Laptop connection. The new switchers have a legacy port, so it really doesn't cost anything to leave it. We figure it will save on help calls...

Mike

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "The AV-1 Forum" group.

MICHAEL URGO
MANAGER, MEDIA RESOURCES

Bonchi, Joseph

Apr 23, 2014, 12:05:56 PM4/23/14
to av...@googlegroups.com

I concur with Mike.  I still have users with legacy pcs with vga only that run win 7 and as long as we can keep vga  as an option with little cost we will for the same reasons.

Joe Bonchi, (bon...@njit.edu)

Assistant Director

Instructional Technology and Media Services

New Jersey Institute of Technology

GITC 0300

218 Central Avenue           Voice (973) 596-3005

Newark, N.J. 07102           Fax (973) 596-6465

Carl Belawske

Apr 23, 2014, 12:08:09 PM4/23/14
to av...@googlegroups.com
Harry-

I would agree with you, except I am still designing systems with VGA.  The biggest driver for us is cost.  As much as I design with "future proof" in mind and make it known that we are saving money in the long run and VGA is coming to an end, the response is, "Why so much?/Why do we need that?" or "Please explore less expensive options."

Where possible (or what I can get away with), I do try to spec projectors, flat panel monitors and PC's with HDMI and/or Displayport.  I know the dust is not settled on that front but it's a start.  I also look at cat 5e/6 options so that the infrastructure is not wasted in case we do upgrade to something higher than VGA.

Carl Belawske, CTS
Audio/Visual Technician
Education Department
Finger Lakes Health
196 North St.
Geneva, NY 14456
Phone: 315-787-4607
carl.b...@flhealth.org

Greg Brown - UCLA

Apr 23, 2014, 12:49:12 PM4/23/14
to av...@googlegroups.com, hth...@nps.edu
Stop installing VGA inputs? Heck Harry, we're still installing combo decks. (Yes they still make them.)

You don't "tell" faculty to do anything at a lot of schools. If it can in any way be supported our orders are to make that happen.

When that last antique professor emeritus shuts down his VGA equipped laptop for the last time (for one reason or another) then we'll consider a change.

Greg

Todd Hughes

Apr 23, 2014, 12:55:12 PM4/23/14
to av...@googlegroups.com

That’s been my battle here at Duquesne.  Trying to get VHS and Combo units out of the classroom.  We are  a long way from pulling the plug on VGA.

Todd Hughes

Instructional Technology Engineer

Media Services & Dist. Center

Duquesne University

600 Forbes Ave.

211 Canevin Hall

Pittsburgh, PA 15282

W: 412-396-6090

Hugh...@duq.edu

Keith Mills

Apr 23, 2014, 2:08:37 PM4/23/14
to av...@googlegroups.com

We still put in VGA, but stopped installing VHS or combo players a couple of years ago.  Instead, we have a set of RCA jacks that we can use to connect a VHS player (or Betamax)* to the AV system.  We’ve got a supply of VHS players that came out of older installed systems, and we’ll just use them until they die or the requests go away.

K.

*I think we have two left in working order.

Keith Mills

Manager, Classroom Services

IT—Communications/Media

MLB 25, 2500 University Drive, NW

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

T2N 1N4

Phone:  (403)-220-6386

E-mail:  kmi...@ucalgary.ca

Todd Hughes

Apr 23, 2014, 2:10:31 PM4/23/14
to av...@googlegroups.com

That what I am pushing for right now.  Hopefully we can successfully move all classrooms that way within about a year.

Michael Rhoadarmer

Apr 23, 2014, 2:23:31 PM4/23/14
to av...@googlegroups.com

We actually have a lot of users, especially Mac users that given the choice will choose VGA.  In rooms with HDMI, MiniDP and VGA cables already to go Mac uses will actually dig though their bag to get the VGA adapter and connect to the VGA cable.  I think one thing that bothers users is the flashing and the slow connect times that you often get when the digital connections are negotiating their EDID settings.

_________________________________

Michael Rhoadarmer, Instructional Systems Manager

Academic & Media Technology, Wheaton College

501 College Ave, Wheaton, IL 60187

630-752-5171 Phone

michael.r...@wheaton.edu

Michael Urgo

Apr 23, 2014, 2:30:24 PM4/23/14
to av...@googlegroups.com
Betamax! Lets throw in a U-matic while we are at it!

We do supply RCA jacks too as we phase out Combo Decks. Region free Blu Ray's are going in now as well.

Mike

Elaine M Mello

Apr 23, 2014, 2:33:50 PM4/23/14
to av...@googlegroups.com

You joke, but we have decks floating around still – lots of Umatic about as well.

Heck, I have 2” quad sitting in the tape archives for my group.

Let’s not forget overhead projectors, which we still have here in classrooms.

Elaine Mello, CTS
Distance Education & Streaming Operations Manager
MIT Office of Digital Learning
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
77 Massachusetts Avenue - Rm 10-337
Cambridge, MA 02139

    Tel:  617-452-2172
Mobile:  617-719-5279

Call me on Jabber Video: emell...@amps.ms.mit.edu

Apr 23, 2014, 2:40:25 PM4/23/14
to av...@googlegroups.com
I have an ivc 9000 2" helical
Tape and a 1"  type a here someplace also
Lol

Sent from my iPhone

Jim Pierret

Apr 23, 2014, 3:05:30 PM4/23/14
to av...@googlegroups.com
We have miniDP in many of our rooms also. I have witness many Mac users that still use their dongles to VGA. I don't think it is because they prefer using the dongle, it is just habit. For 10 plus years Mac users have been trained to use a dongle. Then don't know even know what type connection is on their computer. To them it is not MiniDP it is where there dongle goes.

Our Lenovo laptops have come with MiniDP and VGA for a couple of years. I have never seen a PC user use the miniDP connector at a teaching station. It is all habit.

I want to stop putting in VGA this coming summer. I would install a HDMI and a MiniDP. We can meet the needs of most of our users with those two. It is going to take some training, but whenever we do it will take train. Why not do it now.

JIm

Mark A.J. Gareau

Apr 23, 2014, 4:11:20 PM4/23/14
to av...@googlegroups.com

I’m lamenting the fact that we must support both analog and digital. Costs are higher (more inputs.. and sometimes more outputs for many new and recent requirements such as capture, dual projection, confidence monitoring, etc.). Our troubleshooting skills must also be acutely tuned to this new wave of technology (oh EDID…curse you!) and training must be on-going with these rapid changes. All these challenges yet no more (or reduced) funding. Let’s look to 4K and 8K right?

It will be difficult to remove analog here at our school..  VGA, Jim? I have warned all our clients that VHS will be gone from ALL classrooms as of May 1, 2015. One professor has said she will talk to the President… I’m awaiting the backlash when the time comes….. J

Mark

Mark Gareau
Directeur, Service de distribution multimédia | Director, Multimedia Distribution Service

Service d’appui à l’enseignement et à l’apprentissage | Teaching and Learning Support Service
Université d'Ottawa | University of Ottawa
mga...@uottawa.ca
613-562-5800 (3552)

Apr 23, 2014, 4:13:24 PM4/23/14
to av...@googlegroups.com

Mark—

I remember seeing a posting to this list a few years back explaining that the acronym “EDID” was chosen because all the other four-letter words were already taken.

K.

Keith Mills

Manager, Classroom Services

IT—Communications/Media

MLB 25, 2500 University Drive, NW

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

T2N 1N4

Phone:  (403)-220-6386

E-mail:  kmi...@ucalgary.ca

Tino

Apr 24, 2014, 11:52:20 PM4/24/14
to av...@googlegroups.com
Mike,

A bit off topic, but have you found a Region Free Blu-Ray player you like?  We find that the arcane button combo you have to put in to change regions is problematic. Also at least in the case of the LG's we got, they seem to lock up somewhat more frequently.  We have region free Pioneer DVD players everywhere, so the expectation is sort of set for us to provide that feature, but I have found the region-free players to not be a great experience. We went back to Pioneer region free DVD players with HDMI for our latest run of digital classroom upgrades while we try to figure the Blu-Ray thing out.

-Tino

Michael Urgo

Apr 25, 2014, 9:01:53 AM4/25/14
to av...@googlegroups.com
We are now using Panasonics from B&H. They seem ok, but these units change all the time. It's hard to stick with one model...

Mike

Booker, Vaughn

Apr 25, 2014, 9:23:52 AM4/25/14
to av...@googlegroups.com

Hey Tino,

The Oppo line starting with the BDP-83, up to the 103 have been rock-solid (knock wood)!. The RS-232, DVD and Blu-Ray region free modifications and now dual HDMI output make these perfect for new digital classrooms! They even come with their own wireless network adapter for those wanting to stream Netflix or Pandora. Check the online reviews, many of them like engadget will say it’s the last Blu-Ray player you’ll ever buy!

Vaughn Booker, CTS

ITS Classroom Hotline

UNC Chapel Hill

919-962-9734

Apr 25, 2014, 10:16:41 AM4/25/14
to av...@googlegroups.com

​I second this recommendation. We use OPPOs only and have had very good service from them. Pricy, but you do get what you pay for.

Charles

Charles Minihan, MLS, CTS
Academic Technology Services
Emory University