Telestream Wirecast for lecture capture?

Nick Young

Sep 30, 2014, 9:44:36 AM9/30/14
to av...@googlegroups.com
Does anyone have experience using Telestream's Wirecast to capture and/or stream lectures?

We formally used BoinxTV with varying degrees of stability (mainly after switching from SD to HD).  Wirecast has a much cleaner GUI and appears to offer everything we need.

setup includes:
BlackMagic UltraStudio Mini Recorder (for camera feed)
Epiphan DVIUSB3.0 (for presentation computer screen grab)
ProTools Mbox 2 Mini (for mono feed from sound board)

thanks!

--
Nick Young
Manager of Audio Visual

Javier Huerta

Sep 30, 2014, 10:18:21 AM9/30/14
to av...@googlegroups.com
Nick,

We used Wirecast for about 2 to 3 years to record departmental lectures, and it worked out pretty good.  Our setup was using a MacPro for streaming as the CPU would go to about 90% using a Mac mini, and the MacPro cut that down to about 25-30%.  Along with the MacPro, we also had a Canopus RCA-Firewire converter for camera video and audio, and a VGA2USB Epiphan for content.

These audio/video and content feeds were coming from a VGA scaler and the Video out of a Polycom codec.

We have since upgraded to using Mediasite for the start of this Fall Quarter.  So far all seems to be going pretty good.

Javier Huerta
NUIT-ART-LSTS
AV Systems Eng. Assoc.
NUIT/Academic & Research Technologies

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "The AV-1 Forum" group.

Tim O'Neil

Oct 1, 2014, 10:04:52 PM10/1/14
to av...@googlegroups.com
Nick, among the varied methods we've used, Wirecast has been very reliable.  It previously handled analog thru Canopus boxes, and has made the transition to digital using Black Magic and Matrox. It's a solid product that's been a good choice for us. Good luck with it. - Tim

--
Tim O'Neil
Associate Director, Media Technology Services: Brandeis University