Capture And In-Class Playback Solution Needed

Andrew G. Faunce

Oct 8, 2014, 3:17:24 PM10/8/14
to av...@googlegroups.com
We have Speech classes where students are video recorded.  The 5 minute video of the talk needs to be played back for an in-class critique right after the “live” presentation and then it needs to be made available for the individual student’s review outside of class.  This process repeats until all of the students scheduled for that class are done, so a quick turnaround between recording and playback is important.

The faculty began the service by using a camcorder for capture and then playback.  Each student provided his own media.  Lugging the camcorder was not convenient for the faculty, so we looked for alternatives.

Several years ago we outfitted a preferred room with an NCAST capture appliance to leverage the videoconferencing cameras and microphones already in the room.  The students started and stopped the capture from the Crestron touch panel, and the faculty member used a browser to connect to the NCAST appliance to play the file during class.  Transferring the file to the student for after class review was done manually.  The implementation was a little awkward, but it helped the in-class activities to run more smoothly.

More recently we have deployed several Echo360 appliances for capturing entire classes – a more typical use case and something Echo does very well.  The faculty appreciate that the service is scheduled and requires little of their attention end to end; however, the time to process an ad hoc Echo capture does not support the turnaround needed for the in-class critique.

We’re planning to upgrade the NCAST-equipped classroom and would welcome alternative suggestions for supporting the Speech classes moving forward.

If you’ve solved this or can suggest things we should explore, please be in touch.

Thank you,
-Andrew

Tim O'Neil

Oct 8, 2014, 3:51:01 PM10/8/14
to av...@googlegroups.com
Andy, we've been having positive response lately with Collaaj. It's a personal capture application, with audio quality that might meet your requirements depending upon what is used for a microphone.  We connect various solutions via the Shure XTU.

Also, it integrates for easy upload to Kaltura or Ensemble (maybe others by now) if you're using one of those media environments, which saves times for the Academic tech coordinators as well as making it quickly accessed after the recording.

This is a pretty simplified solution, and won't match quality of full scale ptz cameras and supporting equipment as you described. Still, for an easy solution, it looks and sounds pretty good.

--
Tim O'Neil
Associate Director, Media Technology Services: Brandeis University

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "The AV-1 Forum" group.