662–698 MHz

Bailey, Ernest L

Mar 20, 2014, 9:53:29 AM3/20/14
to av...@googlegroups.com

There have been rumors that the FCC was going to auction the 662–698 MHz range and leave us AV folks with more illegal wireless microphones (e.g. Shure ULX M1). Does anyone know if/when this is supposed to happen?

Ernie Bailey, CTS
Manager of Classroom Technologies
Information Technology Division
Voice: 501.686.5556
Mobile: 501.765.1725
Fax: 501.686.8352

Andrew Sharpe

Mar 20, 2014, 9:59:12 AM3/20/14
to av...@googlegroups.com
Ernie,

Nothing final yet.  But stay tuned, looking like Mid 2015 at the moment.

Andrew Sharpe, CTS-D
Manager of Technical Services
Elliott University Center
The University of North Carolina at Greensboro

The right thing to do never requires any subterfuge, it is always simple and direct.
- Calvin Coolidge

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "The AV-1 Forum" group.

Greg Brown - UCLA

Mar 20, 2014, 10:18:31 AM3/20/14
to av...@googlegroups.com

Wilson, Dennis

Mar 20, 2014, 11:37:45 AM3/20/14
to av...@googlegroups.com
I think it is a rumor at this point but a Strong rumor. I would equate this with "legal" piracy! Shouldn't the federal government at least give rebates towards modifying equipment? It cost us a bundle last time!
Dennis
UNC Chapel Hill,NC
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "The AV-1 Forum" group.

Thomas, Harry (CIV)

Mar 20, 2014, 11:43:38 AM3/20/14
to av...@googlegroups.com
Not rumor, fact.

And there are discussions about compensation for wireless users who get
booted out.

http://www.fcc.gov/blog/path-successful-incentive-auction-0
http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-318455A1.pdf

------------------------------------
Harry Thomas
AV/VTC Engineer
Educational Technologies
Naval Postgraduate School
Monterey, California
831-656-7671

On 3/20/14, 8:37 AM, "Wilson, Dennis" <dpwi...@email.unc.edu> wrote:

>I think it is a rumor at this point but a Strong rumor. I would equate
>this with "legal" piracy! Shouldn't the federal government at least give
>rebates towards modifying equipment? It cost us a bundle last time!
>Dennis
>UNC Chapel Hill,NC

Thomas, Harry (CIV)

Mar 20, 2014, 11:49:38 AM3/20/14
to av...@googlegroups.com
The diagram on page 5 of the PDF I linked below shows the entire 600mhz
band (608-698Mhz) is affected, not just the band in the subject line of
this thread.

Harry

Wilson, Dennis

Mar 20, 2014, 11:59:00 AM3/20/14
to av...@googlegroups.com
To your point.

"I believe we can conduct a successful auction in the middle of 2015. To achieve that goal, there will be a number of important milestones along the way. The Task Force will provide more details about the timeline and milestones in a presentation at the January 2014 Commission meeting."

I have not seen any transcripts from the January Commision meeting.

I do know it will cost us a bundle.

Dennis
UNC

Mar 20, 2014, 12:41:30 PM3/20/14
to av...@googlegroups.com
In the not-to-distant future, all live performers will simply sing or
deliver lines into their iPhones, using Bluetooth earbud mics. Problem
solved.

Harry
NPS

Tim O'Neil

Mar 20, 2014, 12:52:17 PM3/20/14
to av...@googlegroups.com
Regarding Shure, we'd been forewarned to try to stay in the J1 band which keeps us below 600MHz.  Just lucky that we listened I suppose, though no doubt the 500 band will become more crowded going forward.

It's a bit concerning however that their newer "D" series mics even offer bands partially above 600MHz despite knowledge of future restraints.

Perhaps this whole situation has contributed to the frequency allocation of their new Microflex wireless program, 1920-1930 MHz fraught with its own impending intrusions.  "Hey honey, did you shut off that baby monitor?"

--
Tim O'Neil
Associate Director, Media Technology Services: Brandeis University

Keith Mills

Mar 20, 2014, 1:27:50 PM3/20/14
to av...@googlegroups.com
I once came across a comment on the interwebs that said something like:

"The best designed, best engineered, best manufactured, best implemented and best maintained wireless system is almost as good as a cable."

Gonna be kinda hard to convince people to go back to wired microphones in the lecture theatre, though! Maybe this will lead to a dramatic increase in the number of IR systems being bought. As far as I know, you can't license certain colours of light, although it and radio are all part of the electromagnetic spectrum.

K.

Keith Mills
Manager, Classroom Services
IT-Communications/Media
MLB 25, 2500 University Drive, NW
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
T2N 1N4
Phone: (403)-220-6386
E-mail: kmi...@ucalgary.ca
>>av-1+.co

Thomas, Harry (CIV)

Mar 20, 2014, 2:07:48 PM3/20/14
to av...@googlegroups.com
The best designed, best engineered, best manufactured, best implemented
and best maintained infra-red wireless system is almost as good as
semaphore.

Harry

Bailey, Ernest L

Mar 20, 2014, 2:40:27 PM3/20/14
to av...@googlegroups.com
Both IR and semaphore require constant eye-contact!