Anyone using the Epiphan Lecture Recorder X2?

jrcla...@gmail.com

Oct 10, 2014, 8:26:26 AM10/10/14
to av...@googlegroups.com
I'm working on a design for the Annenberg School of Communications and am trying to isolate the perfect product for their particular use-case.  They currently have the ability to send a camera, content and audio between 4 rooms, but it's all via an analog infrastructure.  Instead of having pricey union contractors come in to wire the rooms together for a DM matrix environment for the next generation system, I've started to really lean towards using a streaming encoder.  They had requested streaming anyway, so it just makes sense.  I'm looking at only standalone devices, nothing that requires a back end server to manage content.

So far, the only device that truly fits this requirement, without costing a fortune like the Haivision Viper, is the Epiphan X2.  If anyone has used the Epiphan, or has a different device scenario to fit the criteria, I would be greatly appreciative.  Thanks in advance for the help!

Larson, Kelly J.

Oct 10, 2014, 8:33:36 AM10/10/14
to av...@googlegroups.com

We have been using the Epiphan for our Adobe Connect rooms.  Once you get the drivers correctly installed, it works great.

Do not do any update to the computer.  We have noticed that our weekly or bi weekly auto system updates, cause the computer crash if the dongle is in place.  We just have to unplug the device , let the computer do its boot, and then plug the dongle back in.

There are times when the computes get re-imaged, and the derivers need to be re-installed and dongle unplugged.

As far as operations…it works.  It’s clean and does its job great.

Kelly

Kelly Larson

AV System Design

cid:image001.png@01CDFEEE.BA68BBF0

St. Cloud State University

720 4th Ave S., MC 220

St. Cloud, MN 56301

Information Technology Services

320-308-5260

kla...@stcloudstate.edu

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "The AV-1 Forum" group.

Donald E Newman

Oct 10, 2014, 9:47:02 AM10/10/14
to av...@googlegroups.com

We provide overflow capability between rooms with dedicated HDBaseT infrastructure.  Your Crestron or other manufacturers systems based on HDBaseT (all use Valens chipset) can all be reliably transported on shielded category cable.  Different manufacturers may have different recommendations but we have our campus network people pull dedicated Category 6A STP shielded cable between rooms.  We integrate it into the existing AV system in the room as an auxiliary input and output.  Alternatively standalone HDBaseT transmitter/receiver set can inexpensively transport HDMI content and camera video and audio between rooms up to 330 feet.

-----------------------------

Donald Newman

CTL - Classroom Support

University of Georgia

706-542-3456

jrcla...@gmail.com

Oct 15, 2014, 12:22:31 PM10/15/14
to av...@googlegroups.com

Kelly, thanks for the response.  It's nice to know we won't be the first people in higher ed to stray down this path.  I'm going to try out Crestron's CAPTURE-HD-PRO with a Panasonic HE60 or HE120 camera first.  If the integration is not what we expect, we may opt to try the Epiphan and/or a home-baked solution being used elsewhere on campus.

Don, the streaming solution would be used in lieu of the hardwired, point-to-point architecture that HDBaseT derivatives represent.  The labor cost for wiring each room to a centrally managed matrix, not even factoring the equipment required, is enough to give us a heart attack.  There's no way around using union labor for that sort of integration on campus, and it would drive the cost into an upward spiral.  If any of these devices are 1) cost effective, 2) low-latency, 3) integration friendly - we'll be buying them for these systems.  Even if they opted to use a DM matrix, their requirements for streaming still exists, which means I'd still be specifying an encoder.  Basically, I'm trying to kill two birds with one stone by using the encoder for overflow situations between these spaces that occurs several times per semester.

Smith, Dwayne L.

Oct 16, 2014, 12:12:06 AM10/16/14
to av...@googlegroups.com

I currently use the Crestron Capture-HD-Pro with the Panasonic HE60. I’m happy with both. I use Kaltura to manage and delivery the video content.

http://www.kaltura.com/tiny/eqfio

The link above is a video of the capture. Sorry the first couple minutes are out of focus (user error) but you get the idea. We have presets on the touch panel so faculty can select where they want the camera to zoom to. Also, this is just me trying to talk about something for the video, please don’t critique my content too much. J

Sincerely,

Dwayne Smith, CTS, DMC-E
Classroom Central Senior Engineer
Information Technology Services (ITS)
Old Dominion University
1316 Perry Library
Norfolk, VA 23529
757-683-5940 (office)

The information in this email and any attachments may be confidential and privileged. Access to this email by anyone other than the intended addressee is unauthorized. If you are not the intended recipient (or the employee or agent responsible for delivering this information to the intended recipient) please notify the sender by reply email and immediately delete this email and any copies from your computer and/or storage system. The sender does not authorize the use, distribution, disclosure or reproduction of this email (or any part of its contents) by anyone other than the intended recipient(s).

No representation is made that this email and any attachments are free of viruses. Virus scanning is recommended and is the responsibility of the recipient.

jrcla...@gmail.com

Oct 16, 2014, 8:42:47 AM10/16/14
to av...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the response Dwayne.  Have you used the device for streaming content yet?  Our Panasonic and Crestron reps are shipping the products for us to evaluate next week.  Thanks for the vid, content was great!  Couldn't go full screen for some reason, though.