AirPlay/Enterprise Networks Update

Rexing, Justin

Mar 14, 2014, 12:29:32 PM3/14/14
to av...@googlegroups.com

For those interested, one of our “Mac guys” on campus is wanting to try this as an alternative to using AirPlay on the enterprise network in the classroom:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/03/12/latest-apple-tv-61-update-enables-airplay-over-bluetooth-for-ios-71-devices

This was a discussed issue a few weeks ago in a thread and just wanted to share.  This seems to be Apple’s way of listening, sort of, to the complaints about their products on enterprise networks.  We will see how it goes.

Thanks,

Justin Rexing.vcf

Dechter, Christopher

Mar 14, 2014, 12:36:56 PM3/14/14
to av...@googlegroups.com
I'm anxious to try that myself, but note that many of the reports on that from earlier this week were positing that you could actually use AirPlay over Bluetooth which seems not to be the case, but rather that the AirPlay discovery mechanism is handled via Bluetooth and then the AirPlay stream is over wifi.  In theory, this would indeed be more friendly to enterprise networks as the AppleTVs and not flooding the network with multicast traffic.

Chris

--
Christopher Dechter
Classroom Technology Services

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "The AV-1 Forum" group.
image001.jpg

Thomas, Harry (CIV)

Mar 14, 2014, 12:37:09 PM3/14/14
to av...@googlegroups.com
Justin,

You just used “listening” and “Apple” in the same sentence. My Macbook may explode.

Harry
--

image001.jpg

Keith Mills

Mar 14, 2014, 12:39:18 PM3/14/14
to av...@googlegroups.com

But he did qualify his statement with “sort of.”  Your Macbook will probably just overheat.

K.

Keith Mills

Manager, Classroom Services

IT—Communications/Media

MLB 25, 2500 University Drive, NW

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

T2N 1N4

Phone:  (403)-220-6386

E-mail:  kmi...@ucalgary.ca

Rexing, Justin

Mar 14, 2014, 12:41:02 PM3/14/14
to av...@googlegroups.com

My approach on this one is “I’ll hook it up to our DMPS and get it programmed” and this is his trial and error baby.  My approach would be to get it working, then deploy.  This time, for once, if it fails it is not on my shoulders.  Our network team seemed fine with it.

I'm anxious to try that myself, but note that many of the reports on that from earlier this week were positing that you could actually use AirPlay over Bluetooth which seems not to be the case, but rather that the AirPlay discovery mechanism is handled via Bluetooth and then the AirPlay stream is over wifi.  In theory, this would indeed be more friendly to enterprise networks as the AppleTVs and not flooding the network with multicast traffic.

Justin Rexing2.vcf

Rexing, Justin

Mar 14, 2014, 12:41:40 PM3/14/14
to av...@googlegroups.com

Mine just exploded.  I find it odd that I am a Mac/PC user, but yet I bash Apple all the time.  I am rethinking my ways on my next purchase, still on the fence with what my next laptop will be after years of using my Mac Book Pro.

Mar 14, 2014, 12:45:10 PM3/14/14
to av...@googlegroups.com

Unrelated link, for those of you who use PC’s and Mac’s everyday (maybe I am on the only crazy one), this is a useful and inexpensive product:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812866008

Justin Rexing2.vcf

Thomas, Harry (CIV)

Mar 14, 2014, 12:55:03 PM3/14/14
to av...@googlegroups.com
Don’t give yourself to the Dark Side, Luke!

Having just moved to Windows 7 on my virtual machine, and experienced the black hole of trying to install a legacy driver, and the “change the interface because we can” mentality, I’ll keep bashing Apple and Microsoft with equal joy.

Harry
----------------------------------
Harry Thomas
AV/VTC Engineer
Educational Technologies
Naval Postgraduate School
Monterey, California

From: <Rexing>, Justin <justin...@wku.edu>
Date: Friday, March 14, 2014 at 9:41 AM
To: "av...@googlegroups.com" <av...@googlegroups.com>
image001.jpg

Jason Davis

Mar 14, 2014, 12:57:33 PM3/14/14
to av...@googlegroups.com

I'm still concerned about providing the service for other platforms (e.g. android and windows). Once we get past the enterprise network issue that has been resolved with this change, is this solution going to work for older apple products that don't have the updated Bluetooth and for android and windows devices with or without the bluetooth? I'm all for a simple way to project wirelessly from BYOD but need to account for the whole ecosystem of BYOD. I'd love to hear someone has all of this resolved...

Thanks,
Jason

Jason Davis,
Manager of Academic Support and Finance
Information Technology Systems & Services
University Of Minnesota Duluth
Voice:    218-726-8782
Fax:        218-726-7674
jda...@d.umn.edu
http://www.d.umn.edu/~jdavis/

Dave Althoff, Jr.

Mar 14, 2014, 1:16:04 PM3/14/14
to av...@googlegroups.com
On Mar 14, 2014, at 12:57 PM, Jason Davis <jda...@d.umn.edu> wrote:

> I'm still concerned about providing the service for other platforms (e.g. android and windows). Once we get past the enterprise network issue that has been resolved with this change, is this solution going to work for older apple products that don't have the updated Bluetooth and for android and windows devices with or without the bluetooth? I'm all for a simple way to project wirelessly from BYOD but need to account for the whole ecosystem of BYOD. I'd love to hear someone has all of this resolved...

Are you looking for an installed solution or an ad-hoc solution?

Installed could get very messy this way. But for an ad-hoc situation would it make sense to just bring in an AppleTV (or whatever) hooked to a cheap wireless router so that the ATV and the YODs could play in their own little sandbox? The router could even be a limited client on the enterprise network (say a bandwidth-throttled Internet-only guest client) so that the ATV could still stream from the Internet but the unregulated clients would have limited or no access to internal resources...

Just sort of thinking out loud here...I have spent the past year doing too much basic network and not enough advanced A/V...

--Dave Althoff, Jr.

Booker, Vaughn

Mar 14, 2014, 1:36:21 PM3/14/14
to av...@googlegroups.com
We're actually not allowed to have "unsanctioned wireless devices" like simple routers on campus, even if they're not connected to network. Our networking group WILL find them and confiscate them...

Vaughn Booker, CTS
ITS Classroom Hotline
UNC-Chapel Hill
919-962-9734

Dave Althoff Jr.

Mar 14, 2014, 3:52:46 PM3/14/14
to av...@googlegroups.com
I had suggested...
>> Are you looking for an installed solution or an ad-hoc solution?
>>
>> Installed could get very messy this way. But for an ad-hoc situation would it make sense to just bring in an AppleTV (or whatever) hooked to a cheap wireless router so that the ATV and the YODs could play in their own little sandbox? The router could even be a limited client on the enterprise network (say a bandwidth-throttled Internet-only guest client) so that the ATV could still stream from the Internet but the unregulated clients would have limited or no access to internal resources...

On Mar 14, 2014, at 1:36 PM, Booker, Vaughn replied:

> We're actually not allowed to have "unsanctioned wireless devices" like simple routers on campus, even if they're not connected to network. Our networking group WILL find them and confiscate them...

Oh. I was thinking more from the perspective of the way things were at Capital, where classroom and A/V support is in Information Technology, so such a device would be under the 'thumb' of the network engineer anyway. Just not part of the enterprise network.

--Dave Althoff, Jr.

Wadlinger, Greg

Mar 14, 2014, 3:57:21 PM3/14/14
to av...@googlegroups.com
As Dave Barry would say, "ATV and the YODs would make a great name for a rock band."

Mar 14, 2014, 4:01:30 PM3/14/14
to av...@googlegroups.com
Their second album kinda sucked, though.

K.

Keith Mills
Manager, Classroom Services
IT-Communications/Media
MLB 25, 2500 University Drive, NW
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
T2N 1N4
Phone: (403)-220-6386
Mar 24, 2014, 12:03:55 PM3/24/14
to av...@googlegroups.com
I liked their second album "Blinded by the Bluetooth" and "Enterprise Blues" were the best of the bunch

Clif

Greg Brown - UCLA

Apr 30, 2014, 11:05:07 AM4/30/14
to av...@googlegroups.com
Did anyone else out there decide to give this new update a try? I was hoping to hear some feedback on whether or not it might have some classroom potential.

Greg

dutchviking

Apr 30, 2014, 11:37:05 AM4/30/14
to av...@googlegroups.com
Tried it and loved it. Short of the cost, it worked the "easiest" of the many we have tried.

Tried:
Barco Clickshare
Christie Brio
Crestron AM-100
Other smaller units etc

Crestron worked on our network with no reconfiguring, keeping the IT crew happy. I would recommend giving it a demo.

Rick

Sent from my iPhone

Roger King

May 1, 2014, 8:02:42 AM5/1/14
to av...@googlegroups.com
Hi Greg, Justin

Referring to the Apple TV update, something we have been keeping an  eye on for awhile now, did the update, but because I was attempting to link the Apple TV (Discover) to a MacBook Pro it was unsuccessful, it seems it only works with iOS 7.1 devices. This might work where all participants are using the latest iPhone or iPads but not really practical in the real world, certainly not what the Educational community is looking for.

--
Roger King
CTS Classroom Technology & Services - CETL

From: Greg Brown - UCLA <gmb...@ucla.edu>
Date: Wednesday, 30 April, 2014 12:05 PM
To: "av...@googlegroups.com" <av...@googlegroups.com>

Rexing, Justin

May 1, 2014, 10:29:59 AM5/1/14
to av...@googlegroups.com

I believe the direction we are heading is deploying a wireless device management system, which is currently under RFP.  This will help keep everything up to date and safe on mobile devices that require access our wireless network such as MaaS360 or AirWatch to make sure the latest software is on the device for security, and other reasons.  The person supporting this AppleTV/iPad is a split staff member between IT and the college where this system will be installed the last week of the summer before class starts.

For MacBook Pro’s (or any laptops for that matter), we just use HDMI/VGA.  It wasn’t our intent to connect a MacBook Pro to an AppleTV (wireless to wired network) to present on a display in a classroom.  This AirPlay solution that was requested and tested is for the vast amount of faculty here wanting to present from iPad’s specifically.  We haven’t received Android requests yet.

Thanks,

May 1, 2014, 2:45:37 PM5/1/14
to av...@googlegroups.com
Hi Greg,

 That was my mistake and I was keeping my mouth shut. I mistook the original question to be in regards to Crestrons AM-100 Air-Media. I misread Air-Play as Air-Media.

Sorry for the confusion!

Rick