Touch screen monitors for Mac

Thomas, Harry (CIV)

Jun 27, 2014, 5:22:42 PM6/27/14
to av...@googlegroups.com
I’m looking for a 1920x1080 touch-screen monitor with a desktop stand for use with a new Mac Mini. If you’ve used any can can you recommend it, or warn me away?

Thanks,
Harry

------------------------------------
Harry Thomas
AV/VTC Engineer
Educational Technologies
Naval Postgraduate School
Monterey, California
------------------------------------

Martin Kupferman

Jun 27, 2014, 5:24:37 PM6/27/14
to av...@googlegroups.com
Here is the one we started using this year, its pretty good, and affordable.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "The AV-1 Forum" group.

Thomas, Harry (CIV)

Jun 27, 2014, 5:34:59 PM6/27/14
to av...@googlegroups.com
Well that was fast. Thanks Martin, that actually looks like a pretty good fit for what I’m doing.
Harry

Joseph Bonchi

Jun 27, 2014, 5:42:39 PM6/27/14
to av...@googlegroups.com
Not bad for a Friday  afternoon in the summer Harry

Sent from my iPhone

Thomas, Harry (CIV)

Jun 27, 2014, 5:47:33 PM6/27/14
to av...@googlegroups.com
And, I’m on VACATION. :-(

Matthew Wilk

Jun 30, 2014, 9:15:19 AM6/30/14
to av...@googlegroups.com

Martin

Does it work with the Mac Mini?  Specs say Windows OS…

Matt

Matthew M. Wilk

Associate Director, Technical Services & Operations

Digital Classroom Services

Undergraduate Academic Affairs

848-445-3211

http://DCS.rutgers.edu

Jun 30, 2014, 12:11:30 PM6/30/14
to <av-1@googlegroups.com>
Good catch, Martin. And too bad, it would have been a great fit.

Harry

Sent from my iPad

Dechter, Christopher

Jun 30, 2014, 12:16:21 PM6/30/14
to av...@googlegroups.com
Harry, it looks like they do indeed have a Mac driver on their support site.

Chris

--
Christopher Dechter
Classroom Technology Services

Thomas, Harry (CIV)

Jun 30, 2014, 3:51:37 PM6/30/14
to av...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Chris. I love it when the engineers and the marketing teams work so closely together. ;-)

Harry

Jessica Keck - California College of the Arts

Dec 2, 2015, 6:10:22 PM12/2/15
to The AV-1 Forum, hth...@nps.edu
Hi Harry,

I am in need of a touch solution that works with Macs and found this old thread. Did you purchase that Sharp monitor and have luck using the touch functions with a Mac?

Thanks,
Jess

Thomas, Harry (CIV)

Dec 2, 2015, 7:57:54 PM12/2/15
to Jessica Keck - California College of the Arts, The AV-1 Forum
Hi Jessica,

I ended up using a Planar model PT2245PW. It’s 22”, 1920x1080p with USB interface.

I’m always skeptical when they offer a Mac driver but don’t put it in the spec sheet. I’ve learned from prior experience to expect poor support when that’s the case, and/or reduced features. I don’t know that would be true with Sharp, but it makes my antennae tingle.

The Sharp stand does not allow any tilt adjustment and I was worried about glare. We did not need one that could be laid flat so the Planar was a better form factor because it has a very broad tilt range. The tilt is pretty stiff, you really have to want to tilt it so it doesn’t drift. It’s pedestal mounted (or VESA) so won’t sit flat on the table top like the Sharp.

We also don’t need multi-touch, so I haven’t even tried to see if it works. Basic touch works fine.

The Planar is heavy, 17lbs with stand. That’s an advantage considering how stiff the tilt is, but nobody’s going to enjoy moving it around.

The Sharp uses a micro-USB connector, which I’m not fond of, the Planar has the typical USB-B connector, which I’ve found more robust.

The Planar works well, but I had to jump through some hoops to get it working with the Macs. Planar tech support is pretty good, and they stuck with it until it was resolved.

Good luck. I hope you’ll let us know what you choose and give us a report.

Regards,
Harry
------------------------------------
Harry Thomas
AV/VTC Engineer
Educational Technologies
Naval Postgraduate School
Monterey, California

Matthew Wilk

Dec 3, 2015, 8:16:27 AM12/3/15
to av...@googlegroups.com, Jessica Keck - California College of the Arts

Jessica

We have been using the Planar LA2250RTPW in our podium systems, which are controlled by a Mac Mini, for over 3 years with virtually no problems.  We have them installed in about 150 systems and they have remained virtually problem free.

We did run into a problem on one batch where the screens were flaking out, but the rep came out from Oregon, did some troubleshooting  and found that the ribbon cables inside were a bit loose, which was an easy fix.