Lecture Recording and The Learning Glass

Mike

Aug 7, 2014, 7:17:55 PM8/7/14
to AV Forum
All,
This a general question regarding recording practices for distance learning or hybrid lecture. If your school records classroom lectures, do you have a studio or cameras mounted in the classrooms? We use sony robotics camera mounted for recording lectures and mixed using a sony mixing station. If you have a studio and willing to share the design and challenges, please send me an email.

The second question is regarding a transparent digital writing board I came across recently called The Learning Glass developed by SDSU. If you have used it or are currently using it and willing to share your experience, please contact me.

Regards,

Mike

--
Southern Methodist University
Dallas, TX

Thomas, Harry (CIV)

Aug 7, 2014, 8:21:40 PM8/7/14
to av...@googlegroups.com
Mike,

Everything old is new again. I had to smile watching this video on The Learning Glass:

It looks cool in neon, but we had the same thing going in black & white in our TV studio pre-1984. The glass wall was over 6ft high though. It had been put out of commission when I started in 1984, but the wall was still in the studio, and we ran the 1” open-reel video tapes on a dial-retrieval system for a couple of years after that. I spent every morning in the basement cleaning heads on the tape players.

Watching instruction in a dark room is tiresome. That’s why we had the projector brightness wars. I also wonder how long it would be comfortable for the instructor. If it could be used in a well lit room it would be more useful, but seeing it again did give me ideas about our VTE studios where we don’t have resident students, and I have one particular program where the faculty might be interested in the idea, but it would have to be a larger glass. The neon pens really do make it pop.

Regarding lecture capture: Our dedicated TV studio was decommissioned a long time ago, and the bulk of our lecture capture happens in our VTE classrooms, which are essentially user-driven studios. Currently we feed video to encoders in a centrally located rack via coaxial cable. The video is streamed live & captured on network drive at the same time. I’m in the middle of an upgrade plan to convert everything in the chain to digital signals and one of the challenges is interfacing HDMI/DVI video over distance. I’ll be using a combination of STP cable and fiber. Cable is cheap, but the extender systems run the cost up quickly. We also do portable lecture capture with tripod cameras, and we’ve just added PTZ cameras to a couple of auditoriums. We have trouble with wall mounted cameras & vibration from HVAC & stairways that are less than rigid and tied to the walls, so I’m doing custom anti-vibration mounts. In our main auditorium we use a Newtek Tricaster which can bring in computer presentations via the network as a video source. Where we don’t have that feature we split the signal going to the projector and feed it to the video mixer/switcher.

Regards,
Harry
------------------------------------
Harry Thomas
AV/VTC Engineer
Educational Technologies
Naval Postgraduate School
Monterey, California

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "The AV-1 Forum" group.

Charles Barbour

Aug 7, 2014, 9:04:49 PM8/7/14
to av...@googlegroups.com
I think that the current iteration of the glass board was actually developed by Michael Peshkin at NorthWestern university. The Web site he created for it can be found here: lightboard.info

I just built a lightboard here at Notre Dame for the College of Science and faculty will begin using it in next week.

Regarding lecture capture, we have some classrooms with cameras in them and we're in the process of putting together a beta version of Penn State's One Button Studio. http://onebutton.psu.edu/

We hope to have that operational within 3 weeks at least in a beta form. Hopefully being able to see it will help us convince people of it's value and then enable us to get funding and space to build a full size one.

I'd be happy to discuss our experiences with the lightboard either on or off list.

Thanks,

Chaz

Charles Barbour

Educational Technologist

B003 Edward J DeBartolo Hall - Notre Dame IN  46556

Office - 574-631-2386

Cell - 574-485-6076

cbar...@nd.edu

https://blogs.nd.edu/ndedtechguy/

https://twitter.com/ndedtechguy

To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time. - Leonard Bernstein