UI request - playlist sorting

Trevor Peck

Aug 4, 2017, 1:22:48 PM8/4/17
to Autoplaylists for Google Music
I'm probably the only one who would be interested in this, but I'd love to be able to sort playlists on the UI, either alphabetically or manually or whatever. Due to the 1000 song limit and the non-existent tagging, I need a lot of playlists to make things work my way... sorting them would really help. I would even like to be able to build a hierarchy, but I'm sure that'd be pushing it. ;-)

Thanks,
 - Trevor.

P.S. Stability sure did improve greatly with the last update. It really and truly does stay working after refreshes and everything. Very nice!

Simon Weber

Aug 4, 2017, 1:42:55 PM8/4/17
to Autoplaylists for Google Music
Haha, I was about to say that at least someone else wants this too since I have an old github issue for it: https://github.com/simon-weber/Autoplaylists-for-Google-Music/issues/106. Looking back, it was actually you who brought it up originally, haha.

Just to clarify, you're interested in better organizing your autoplaylists (and not normal Google playlists), right? If that's the case, do you think instant search would help? I'm picturing something like this, where you could type into a box and your autoplaylists would filter in real time. I think that'd actually be easier than adding reordering/grouping, since it doesn't require storing any state.

Also just out of curiosity, how many playlists are you working with? I have a rough idea of the distribution across users, but nothing concrete.

P.S. Stability sure did improve greatly with the last update.

That's great to hear! There's certainly more things to improve, but the foundation is much more stable after #157.

Trevor Peck

Aug 5, 2017, 8:51:14 AM8/5/17
to Autoplaylists for Google Music
Haha! Maybe I should use an alias! I don't even remember asking...

 Yes, I mean autoplaylists, and I think instant search would work just fine - I'll use keywords in the playlist names names to group them.

 I currently have 31 lists, but I'm actively working to keep it small because it gets difficult to find the right one when I want to work with it, I think I'd have about 75 if they were easy to sort. It sounds crazy, but it's because I use playlists instead of tags.

 Most of the lists are not actually listened to, but just used to narrow selection criteria for the few that are, so they could easily be static lists, but I like to make them autolists just so they show up in the list where I'm working with them. Is there a data file (or something) that I can send you that will let you see my list's rules? Essentially each list is a couple criteria for picking the right music under an "any" (like "comment contains (case ignored) - Approved=Adult"), and then a long list of "comment does not contain (case ignored)" under an "all" (for weeding out the wrong ones): with something like "Tag=OnlyXmas" or "OnlyThinkingWork" or "OnlyNotDriving". (Or often "Tag=Only", which filters out all of those).

 All that so I can pick the playlist by context, and the system knows what music to play, favoring higher rated songs and songs that haven't been heard in a long time. What I'll add if sorting is easier is more contexts, trying to get it to favor certain songs and music types when certain people are around.

 I really just want to tell my system about each new song I add and have it play it automatically, in the right context, and more or less often based on rating. But to get something like that to happen I need a lot of lists (or tags, or maybe AI, I guess I should make AI the request instead, you up for that? ;-)).

As always, feel free to ignore this... I really feel like people would like my "tag and context" system better than the more prevalent cloud curated system that everyone seems to like now... but the evidence says otherwise.

 If you're ever feeling really ambitious, and want to change the world and end war and stuff, you could build a shared tagging system, where users tag music, and accept others' tags based on how often their tags match. I know every single shared tagging experiment in history has failed spectacularly, but maybe it just needs one more try... ;-)

 - Trevor.

Simon Weber

Aug 5, 2017, 12:52:23 PM8/5/17
to Autoplaylists for Google Music
Great; I'm tracking it in that old issue. It's probably something I'll get to in the next few weeks.

Thanks for sharing your system! It's pretty neat, and matches some of my suspicions around how power users make use of playlist linking. One related idea I've had is a way to define and reuse custom conditions. Essentially they'd just be autoplaylists that don't sync to Google, but still allow linking. It's definitely less grand than social tagging or AI, but it'd at least help reduce the load on Google's end for this kind of use.

Trevor Peck

Aug 5, 2017, 2:22:09 PM8/5/17
to Autoplaylists for Google Music
That's an excellent idea! (the custom conditions). From the users perspective, that just removes the 1000 song limit for what I call "bouncers" (lists that are not played, only referenced).

 You already store the autoplaylist data client side, so the backend should be pretty straightforward, just have to figure the UI before implementing, is that right?

Simon Weber

Aug 6, 2017, 4:57:44 PM8/6/17
to Autoplaylists for Google Music
Yup, I'm picturing just storing an additional field on autoplaylists to mark them as a condition. It's probably a bit more work than I'm imagining - there's a lot of assumptions around autoplaylists in the syncing code and ui - but it shouldn't be too bad.

I'm not sure exactly when I'll get to it, but I'm tracking it here: https://github.com/simon-weber/Autoplaylists-for-Google-Music/issues/165.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/autoplaylists-for-google-music/712ce1aa-44fd-4adb-8e43-0222f5653130%40googlegroups.com.