[New article] Just published a perspective about research dissemination on The Conversation Indonesia

Dasapta Erwin Irawan

Sep 22, 2020, 7:23:52 PM9/22/20
to AuthorAID
Dear all apology if you already receive this from another channel

Some colleagues and I have just published a perspective (written in Indonesian) about research dissemination on The Conversation Indonesia. Here we pointed out the importance to hammer down the 'Berlin wall' of prestige simply because we're not living in the same era anymore. We have the knowledge, the tools, and (relatively) the funding, but yet we're still relying ourselves to the prestige created by commercial publishers.

We are sure this situation occurs to all of you too.

Happy reading and we welcome your comments and feedback.

Best,
Dasapta

Israel Pineda

Sep 23, 2020, 7:58:53 AM9/23/20
to AuthorAID
Hi Dasapta,

I agree that we should strive to publish Open Access. Also, we need more journals that support Open Access publishing without payment. The problem with some OA journals that require payment is the low quality of the research so researchers have to be careful when choosing journals. There are great OA journals of course.

Another important think is that if you want to become a great researcher and do important science it is very difficult if you only publish in local journals;  almost impossible if you publish in a language other than English. When evaluating research output most countries/universities will require publications indexed in either WoS or Scopus so there is little to no motivation to publish there. I think it is great for Indonesia to be the country in the first place according to the number of publications. But it is also important to see the ranking by number of citations and the country's H-index (This is easily done wit scimago). These are just numbers and another perspective, I do not believe that you can encapsulate all research dimensions in one number, but they give indicators fo performance.

Last think is that science should be a global endeavor and we should be careful of not to include regionalisms into its dynamics. Developing countries for sure have the worst part, but I think the solution has to be in the direction of improving our science and inserting ourselves in the scientific community rather that adapt the science to fit our constraints.

Dasapta Erwin Irawan

Sep 24, 2020, 7:26:01 PM9/24/20
to AuthorAID
Hi. Thank you for your comments.

The good definition of great researchers should also relate to their contribution to the community, where they lives, where they started to formulate research problems rooted from what they see in their community.

The definition of local vs international is moving forward right now. Also how we can communicate our research to wider community is also changing, in a sense that we should put local community as our priority. After all, we do our research to solve their problem at the first place.

Communicating our results internationally should not be defined as strictly to publish in international journal. We could always publish in local language in local journal and disseminate it using English in a more casual online media to get the attention. That way, we could initiate public/expert peer review. Peer review is a process which is not exclusively owned or initiated by academic journal.

Dasapta

Revocatus Kuluchumila

Sep 25, 2020, 11:00:33 AM9/25/20
to auth...@googlegroups.com
Hi all, can anyone help me a journal which can publish my research report for free. My research is reading culture to undergraduate educational students in Tanzania. I have struggled for a  year now to find where to publish for free. Thanks

--
When posting, please include your name, institution/organisation
You can also start a new thread by emailing auth...@googlegroups.com