Invitation to contribute to a study on the effects of COVID-19 on Scientific Research in African universities

Ross Jansen-van Vuuren

Jan 20, 2021, 9:50:56 AM1/20/21
to auth...@googlegroups.com

Hi everyone,

I am a Postdoctoral Research Fellow, originally from Zimbabwe, although currently based at Queen’s University in Kingston, Canada. I was recently invited by the journal 'International Higher Education' to write a short opinion describing the impacts of COVID-19 on higher education throughout Africa with a focus on the Science disciplines since these typically require work in laboratories on campus (and therefore may have been disrupted more so than other disciplines).

Regarding the study, I am interested in exploring: (1) how existing challenges at your University (Science Dept) have been exacerbated by the current COVID-19 crisis, and (2) what new challenges have been introduced to your research/teaching because of COVID-19.

I am seeking your deep reflection on the above two questions. If you're interested in contributing, please can you let me know asap. There is a chance for  co-authorship but this depends on how many people agree to participate in the study. If you can’t commit at this time but are aware of other colleagues from your university or other local universities who may be willing to contribute, please can you let me know as well.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to drop me an email. I will try to respond asap.

Sincerely,

Dr. Ross Jansen-van Vuuren.

Queen's University, Kingston, Ontari (CANADA).

Oluwaseun Ogundijo

Jan 20, 2021, 10:19:20 AM1/20/21
to auth...@googlegroups.com
Hello, Dr. Ross Vuuren!
I am interested in this. Do let me know how and if my contribution will be needed.

Warm regards,
Dr. Ogundijo O. A.
University of Ibadan,
Ibadan, Nigeria.

--
When posting, please include your name, institution/organisation
You can also start a new thread by emailing auth...@googlegroups.com

Ross Jansen-van Vuuren

Jan 20, 2021, 10:44:24 AM1/20/21
to auth...@googlegroups.com
Dear Dr. Ogundijo,

Thanks for your interest. Greetings from freezing Canada!

Let's chat offline. Perhaps you could send your initial thoughts in response to the two questions posed to my work address: rd...@queensu.ca, and let's take it from there. Take your time to respond to the questions, perhaps aim to send an email early next week.

I look forward to hearing from you then.

With best wishes,
Ross.

Oluwaseun Ogundijo

Jan 20, 2021, 10:53:21 AM1/20/21
to auth...@googlegroups.com
Duly noted. I will definitely get across soon.

Thanks for your prompt response.

Warm greetings,
Ogundijo

Oluwafemi Dipeolu

Jan 20, 2021, 10:53:31 AM1/20/21
to auth...@googlegroups.com
Hello Ross,
I am interested in joining you on this study.
Hoping to work with you in this regard.

Oluwafemi

rihab abdelghafar

Jan 21, 2021, 3:20:29 AM1/21/21
to auth...@googlegroups.com
Hello Ross
I am interested to join you. I am based in sudan
Regards

Adeola Ayano

Jan 21, 2021, 3:20:34 AM1/21/21
to auth...@googlegroups.com
Dear Ross,

I am interested in collaborating with you on the study.

--
Adeola E. Ayano, MIPAN, MNIFST
Central Teaching and Research Laboratory/ Department of Chemical, Food and Nutrition Sciences,

+234 802 837 1678

Idzai Muchabaiwa

Jan 21, 2021, 3:20:52 AM1/21/21
to auth...@googlegroups.com
Hello Dr  Ross.
I am  interested in  the study also. I am  based in Kenya.
Thank you
Idzai Muchabaiwa

Ejaz Khan

Jan 21, 2021, 3:21:06 AM1/21/21
to auth...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ross,
I am interested as well.
Regards.
Associate Professor
DR. EJAZ AHMAD KHAN

Kauthrah Ntabadde

Jan 21, 2021, 5:11:30 AM1/21/21
to auth...@googlegroups.com
Hello Dr. Ross,
I will be happy to work with you on this. I am a researcher based in Uganda.

Kauthrah

Usman Abubakar Haruna

Jan 21, 2021, 5:16:09 AM1/21/21
to auth...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,
I am Usman from Nigeria, I am interested.

LIMBU MCHELE

Jan 21, 2021, 5:19:31 AM1/21/21
to auth...@googlegroups.com
Dear Dr. Ross Jansen-van Vuuren
I can collaborate on this research.
With Best Regards,
Dr. Samwel Mchele Limbu, PhD
Department of Aquatic Sciences and Fisheries Technology
College of Agricultural Sciences and Fisheries Technology
University of Dar es Salaam
P.O. Box 60091
Dar es Salaam
TANZANIA
Phone: +255 22 2410462
Fax: +255 22 2410480/2650244
Mobile: +255 784/655/766 600922
           mchel...@yahoo.com

Follow the links below to view my publications:

Web of Science ResearcherID:

"If you want to go faster, go alone but if you want to go far, go together" African Proverb

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds..."  Albert Einstein

"Anything worth doing, is worth doing badly" G.K. Chesterton

Ruth Nasozi

Jan 21, 2021, 6:13:14 AM1/21/21
to auth...@googlegroups.com
Hello Dr. Ross,
Am interested. Am Ruth from Uganda but pursuing my masters in Kenya.

Ross Jansen-van Vuuren

Jan 21, 2021, 6:13:41 AM1/21/21
to auth...@googlegroups.com
Dear Dr. Khan,

Thank you for your email and willingness to participate/contribute. The present study is mainly focused on African LMIC countries. However, there is a chance that we will extend this to Asia / S America in the future, and I will contact you when this is initiated and for any other study that you might be interested in for that matter.

I hope you are safe and well in Pakistan.

With best wishes,
Ross.

Abdrie Seid

Jan 21, 2021, 8:57:48 AM1/21/21
to auth...@googlegroups.com
Thank you very much, I am interested to participate in this study, I am a researcher based in Ethiopia.
Regards

Ross Jansen-van Vuuren

Jan 21, 2021, 8:57:55 AM1/21/21
to auth...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ruth,
Thank you! I will contact you privately via my work email to provide more details,
Regards,
Ross.

binuyo overcomer

Jan 21, 2021, 9:31:41 AM1/21/21
to AuthorAID

I am interested in the research. I'm Binuyo Overcomer. I'm from Nigeria, Obafemi Awolowo University Osun State, Nigeria. My email address is binuyoo...@gmail.com

I will appreciate  a positive response as I long to work with you

Bello Muinat Moninuola

Jan 21, 2021, 9:31:59 AM1/21/21
to auth...@googlegroups.com
Hello Ross,
I am interested in the collaborative research...

Dr. M. M. Bello
Coordinator Linkages and Partnership,
University of Maiduguri,
Nigeria.

Bibie Said

Jan 21, 2021, 9:32:09 AM1/21/21
to auth...@googlegroups.com
Hello Ross,

I am interested in joining you on this study,
Am from Tanzania but Currently studying in Ethiopia,

Hoping to work with you in this

Regards.

--
When posting, please include your name, institution/organisation
You can also start a new thread by emailing auth...@googlegroups.com
---

Bibie N.Said M.D.,

Kibong'oto Infectious Diseases Hospital

Msc. Clinical Trial Fellow,Addis Ababa University

Mae Street, Lomakaa Road. Siha – Kilimanjaro

Mob +255718762991

E-mail bibi...@gmail.com

Skype: BibieNgungwa(live:bibiesd90)

Ibukunoluwa Adedeji

Jan 21, 2021, 10:29:57 AM1/21/21
to auth...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dr. Ross,
I'm interested in this research.
I'm a doctoral student in Plant Breeding & Genetics, University of Ilorin, Ilorin Nigeria.

Regards,
Ibukunoluwa Adedeji

okebal...@gmail.com

Jan 21, 2021, 11:04:31 AM1/21/21
to auth...@googlegroups.com, Ibukunoluwa Adedeji
Hi Dr. Ross
I am interested in this research.
Currently working at a University in Nigeria.

Dr Okebalama Victor
Babcock University Teaching Hospital, Ilishan-Remo, Ogun State,Nigeria.

Melitah Rasweswe

Jan 21, 2021, 11:04:42 AM1/21/21
to AuthorAID
Hi Dr Ross

I'm interested to join you in this study. I'm a lecturer at University of Pretoria, South Africa.

Kind regards
Please refer to http://upnet.up.ac.za/services/it/documentation/docs/004167.pdf
for full details.

Paul Ajayi

Jan 22, 2021, 7:10:44 AM1/22/21
to auth...@googlegroups.com
Sorry using the institutional email
Good morning Ross , I thank u so much for d invitation, i am interested in participating in d study. I am a medical consultant in community medicine dept in Ekiti state university teaching  hospital and lecturer in Ekiti state university Nigeria , worked with WHO 2019- 2020 as RI focal , part Ekiti EOC during d Covid 19 response, I was initially shortlisted for a senior consultant WHO on developing a policy for d country on impact of covid 19 on MNCAAH-r . I am from Nigeria , am a young researchers presenting working on Impact of IPC training on health facility practice before and during d covid pandemic

shristi shrestha

Jan 23, 2021, 8:41:40 AM1/23/21
to auth...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dr. Ross,
I am interested if you are planning to include medical students in this research as I am working in a medical college in Nepal.

Dr. Shristi Shrestha,
Associate Professor,
Nepal Medical College and Teaching Hospital,

Paul Ajayi

Jan 23, 2021, 8:41:43 AM1/23/21
to auth...@googlegroups.com
Good morning Ross , I thank u so much for d invitation, i am interested in participating in d study. I am a medical consultant in community medicine dept in Ekiti state university teaching  hospital and lecturer in Ekiti state university Nigeria , worked with WHO 2019- 2020 as RI focal , part Ekiti EOC during d Covid 19 response, I was initially shortlisted for a senior consultant WHO on developing a policy for d country on impact of covid 19 on MNCAAH-r . I am from Nigeria , am a young researchers presenting working on Impact of IPC training on health facility practice before and during d covid pandenmic

Dr Surya B Parajuli

Jan 24, 2021, 11:35:15 AM1/24/21
to auth...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ross,
Your research questions are important. I am working at a university extended medical college of Nepal, let me contribute from my side.
If you think I will be helpful. Let me know.
Best Regards,
Dr. Surya B. Parajuli

Ross Jansen-van Vuuren

Jan 24, 2021, 11:35:26 AM1/24/21
to auth...@googlegroups.com
Dear Shristi,

Namaste!

Unfortunately the study is focused on Africa so I can't include your contribution. However, if we decide to extend to S E Asia, I will be sure to let you know.

I wish you a good Sunday,
Ross.

Abdullahi farhan Abdi

Jan 25, 2021, 3:12:09 AM1/25/21
to auth...@googlegroups.com
Hi

I'm Abdullahi from Somalia. I'm ready to participate.

Ross Jansen-van Vuuren

Jan 25, 2021, 6:28:04 AM1/25/21
to AuthorAID
Hi everyone,

Thank you to those of you who agreed to participate in this study. I have sent you a link to a Google doc that I am using to capture your thoughts and experiences. Please let me know if you didn't receive the link or can't access the Google doc.

If anyone else is interested in contributing, please contact me DIRECTLY from now on either at my gmail address or my Queen's work address (shown below). Thank you.

Regards,
Ross.
Queen's University

Adamma Shenge

Jan 25, 2021, 6:29:33 AM1/25/21
to auth...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ross,

Compliments! I am a medical researcher in the field of Virology. I would like to collaborate with you in the study, because as a scientist I have first hand experience of effects of COVID-19 on scientific research. Again, I developed a conceptual framework on same topic, which can serve as a lead way for us, as we start.

Thank you.
Dr. Juliet A Shenge

ISSAH BAGULO

Jan 25, 2021, 6:29:44 AM1/25/21
to auth...@googlegroups.com
Am Bagulo Issah, teaching at University for Development Studies(UDS) at Nyankpala, Northern Region, Ghana. I would be glad to be brought on board on the subject matter.

Regards,
Issah