OT - When insults had class

Diogenes

Nov 22, 2009, 5:56:32 PM11/22/09
When Insults Had Class.

These glorious insults are from an era before the English language got
boiled down to 4-letter words.

The exchange between Churchill & Lady Astor: She said,
"If you were my husband I'd give you poison."
He said,
"If you were my wife, I'd drink it."

Churchill to Lady Astor - " God Madam you're ugly "
Lady Astor " Sir, you are drunk "
Churchill " Yes Madam, but I shall be sober in the morning "

A member of Parliament to Disraeli:
"Sir, you will either die on the gallows or of some unspeakable
disease."
"That depends, Sir," said Disraeli, "whether I embrace your policies
or your mistress."

"He had delusions of adequacy." - Walter Kerr

"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." -
Winston Churchill

"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with
great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow

"He has never been known to use a word that might send a reader to
the dictionary." - William Faulkner (about Ernest Hemingway).

"Thank you for sending me a copy of your book; I'll waste no time
reading it." - Moses Hadas

"I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I
approved of it." - Mark Twain

"He has no enemies, but is intensely disliked by his friends.." -
Oscar Wilde

"I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring
a friend.... if you have one." - George Bernard Shaw to Winston
Churchill.

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second... if there is
one." - Winston Churchill, in response.

"I feel so miserable without you; it's almost like having you here."
-Stephen Bishop

"He is a self-made man and worships his creator." - John Bright

"I've just learned about his illness. Let's hope it's nothing
trivial." - Irvin S.Cobb

"He is not only dull himself; he is the cause of dullness in others."
- Samuel Johnson

"He is simply a shiver looking for a spine to run up." - Paul Keating

"In order to avoid being called a flirt, she always yielded easily."
- Charles, Count Talleyrand

"He loves nature in spite of what it did to him." - Forrest Tucker

"Why do you sit there looking like an envelope without any address on
it?" - Mark Twain

"His mother should have thrown him away and kept the stork." - Mae
West

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." -
Oscar Wilde

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts... for support
rather than illumination." - Andrew Lang (1844-1912

"He has Van Gogh's ear for music." - Billy Wilder

"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening. But this wasn't it." -
GrouchoMarx

=================

Onya bike

Gerry

hippo

Nov 22, 2009, 7:01:49 PM11/22/09

"Is he just doing a bad Elvis pout, or was he born that way?"
Freddy Mercury, about Billy Idol

Posted at www.usenet.com.au

Rheilly Phoull

Nov 22, 2009, 8:56:05 PM11/22/09

"Diogenes" <cy...@society.sux.ok> wrote in message

> When Insults Had Class.
>
> These glorious insults are from an era before the English language got
> boiled down to 4-letter words.

Ya right of course, I recall one of Whitlams rejoinders at an election rally
meeting. He was going on with the usual when a heckler bellowed out "Yeah go
on Gough, tell us all you ya know.... it wont take long!!" to which Gough
replied "I'll tell them all we both know, it wont take any longer!!"

--
Regards ............. Rheilly P

Fraser Johnston

Nov 22, 2009, 9:13:53 PM11/22/09

"hippo" <am9obmhAc2hvYWwubmV0LmF1@REGISTERED_USER_usenet.com.au> wrote in
message news:hecjdc$upg$1...@news.eternal-september.org...

> "Is he just doing a bad Elvis pout, or was he born that way?"
> Freddy Mercury, about Billy Idol

I always thought Boy George describing prince as a dwarf dipped in a vat of
pubic hair to be pretty amusing.

Fraser

George W Frost

Nov 23, 2009, 12:33:28 AM11/23/09

"Fraser Johnston" <ftr...@iinet.net.au> wrote in message

You actually listened to words that boy george said?

Doug Jewell

Nov 23, 2009, 3:37:56 AM11/23/09
One I heard about was a woman heckling Bob Menzies: "Mr
Menzies I wouldn't vote for you if you were the Archangel
Gabriel" to which he replied "Madam, we wouldn't be in the
same electorate".

--
What is the difference between a duck?

Dr. Sir John Howard, AC, WSCMoF

Nov 23, 2009, 6:28:36 AM11/23/09

A classic! Menzies' one, not Shitlam's.

--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ipvdBnU8F8
- KRudd at his finest.

"The Labour Party is corrupt beyond redemption!"
- Labour hasbeen Mark Latham in a moment of honest clarity.

"This is the recession we had to have!"
- Paul Keating explaining why he gave Australia another Labour recession.

"Silly old bugger!"
- Well known ACTU pisspot and sometime Labour prime minister Bob Hawke
responding to a pensioner who dared ask for more.

"By 1990, no child will live in poverty"
- Bob Hawke again, desperate to win another election.

"A billion trees ..."
- Borke, pissed as a newt again.

"Well may we say 'God save the Queen' because nothing will save the governor
general!"
- Egotistical shithead and pompous fuckwit E.G. Whitlam whining about his
appointee for Governor General John Kerr.

"SHUT THE FUCK UP YOU DUMB CUNT!"
- FlangesBum on learning the truth about Labour's economic capabilities.

"I don't care what you fuckers think!"
- KRudd the KRude at his finest again.

"We'll just change it all when we get in."
- Garrett the carrott

Deevo

Nov 23, 2009, 7:59:40 AM11/23/09
"Diogenes" <cy...@society.sux.ok> wrote in message
> When Insults Had Class.

http://www.webcity.com.au/keating/

atec7 7

Nov 23, 2009, 8:52:25 AM11/23/09
No matter what you call it a queer boy insult from the mouth of keating
is still wasted O2
may he and his corrupt arse die a painful death

Dr. Sir John Howard, AC, WSCMoF

Nov 23, 2009, 9:12:10 AM11/23/09

Hear, hear!

Kangaroo Court Australia

Nov 23, 2009, 9:14:35 AM11/23/09
TO:eewr...@aph.gov.au,legco...@aph.gov.au,senato...@aph.gov.au,Julia.Gi...@aph.gov.au,Malcolm.T...@aph.gov.au,R.McCle...@aph.gov.au,
laca...@aph.gov.au,js...@aph.gov.au,ewr....@aph.gov.au,AOCC-
Information-
Proce...@afp.gov.au,a...@ag.gov.au,rob....@parliament.vic.gov.au,cor...@act.gov.au,
minister...@nt.gov.au,rec...@justice.tas.gov.au,atto...@ministerial.qld.gov.au,off...@hatzistergos.minister.nsw.gov.au,attorney-
gen...@agd.sa.gov.au,jim-m...@dpc.wa.gov.au,
lara.g...@dhhs.tas.gov.au,ministe...@dpc.wa.gov.au,senator...@aph.gov.au,senator...@aph.gov.au,senator...@aph.gov.au,senator...@aph.gov.au,
senator...@aph.gov.au,senator...@aph.gov.au,senato...@aph.gov.au,senator....@aph.gov.au,senator....@aph.gov.au,senator.Hanson-
Yo...@aph.gov.au,
senato...@aph.gov.au,senator...@aph.gov.au,senator....@aph.gov.au,Peter.H...@aph.gov.au,complai...@humanrights.gov.au

pham BSc(Hons, Melbourne Uni)

GPO BOX 1007

Springvale

VICTORIA 3171

Post Office Box 19519, 2500 CM The Hague, The Netherlands

Boîte postale 19519, 2500 CM La Haye, Pays Bas
Telephone / Téléphone: + 31 70 5158515

Facsimile / Télécopie: + 31 70 5158555

http://www.icc-cpi.int

Our Reference: OTP-CR-415/09

Filed for: PRIVATE AND CONFIDENTIAL (TO BE SUBMITTED ADDITIONALLY)

Dear M.P. Dillon, Head of the Information & Evidence Unit Office of
the Prosecutor and ICC,

1. I refer the following crimes within the jurisdiction of the
International Criminal Court (ICC);

2. Can the ICC enlighten myself and the Australian people, why
the below criminal acts by the Commonwealth of Australia and the
Australian judiciary do not fall under the jurisdiction of the
International Criminal Court;

3. I encourage other Australians to submit under this Reference
Number OTP-CR-415/09, under the understanding that they must send me a
copy, and I reserve the right to refuse and remove submissions that
are detrimental to this and subsequent submissions;

4. The Commonwealth will be sent this correspondence and other
Australians will receive under the blind carbon copy of email, or
other means of correspondence;

5. We urge the International Criminal Court to protect the
Australian Constitution from those who would strive to pervert it in
an attempt to violate International and local Australian laws;

6. In a decision by the Federal Court in VID91/2009, Middleton J
affirmed that Australian Courts and Tribunals can dispense with the
Rules of Evidence in contempt of the Evidence Act 1995 (Cth), the
rules of natural justice, and first principles of law and justice,
inter alia;

7. Unlawful Racial Discrimination is not criminal act, but
perverting justice and fabricating evidence are criminal acts under
the Australian Constitution, the Evidence Act 1995 (Cth), the Crimes
Act 1914(Cth);

8. What Middleton J is attempting to do is ultra vires and extra
judicial; Middleton J has refused to confirm that he did indeed make
the oath of office as required by the Australian Constitution;

9. What Middleton is attempting to do is make me a refugee in my
own country in violations of the Citizenship Act;

10. Stealing my possessions;

11. and depriving me access to the legal process and the Australian
Constitution;

12. and the protection thereof.

13. The ICC is asked whether this NOT imprisonment in a legal void,

14. In a conspiracy by the Commonwealth to cause injuries and death;

15. These are the same crimes they have violated against my fellow
human beings, the Australian Aborigines of the Northern Territory, and
others;

16. They have abused the Evidence Act, by bringing now-discredited
evidence to their dishonourable High Court Judges in order for the
judges to abuse discretionary powers in suspending the Racial
Discrimination Act 1975 (Cth);

17. The High Court Australia has conspired with the Executive branch
in order to enslave and imprison Aborigines NOT only in a legal void,
and threats of removal of social security safety net in violation of
HREOCA1986 , but also physical imprisonment;

18. The Australian judiciary and executive have authorised their
enforcers, namely the police and army to remove name tags, which form
part of their uniform, every time they have the criminal intent and
intention to violate local and international laws, in attacking
civilians physically and psychologically;

19. War Crimes may have been committed by the presence of the
Australian army in the NT Intervention and Appartheid;

20. The Australian judiciary and executive have authorised the
Incitement of Racial Hatred, which is a criminal offence;

21. Thereby creating an atmosphere where the Aborigines feel they
have to fight back in order to protect their own people, their own
families and their possessions;

22. They created political prisoners like Lex Wotton, who fought
dishonourable police who caused death to his people in the police
prisons, in Black Deaths in Custody;

23. They caused the death of Aborigines like Mr Ward and TJ Hickey,
by dogwhistling authorisation to their police force to dispense with
duty of care and duty of office to protect the public;

24. Imprisoned political prisoners like Phuong Ngo, Megumi Ogawa and
on the flimsiest of evidence, and failing to properly instruct juries;
Habeus corpus have been filed and refused based on the abuse of
discretion;

25. Recently, their judge imprisoned a 12 year Aborigines boy on
“suspicion” of theft, not proven, without any proper parental consent
or supervision, exposing a boy to rape and abuse by inmates and
officers;

26. Their health system left a 4 year old Aborigines girl dead by
refusing health care;

27. Their Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission and
president John von Doussa, refuse to investigate human rights
violations and acts of unlawful racial discrimination, and further
refusing to terminate the complaints so that they can be heard in the
court of law under Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission Act
46PO; in violation of RDA1975 and HREOCA1986; international treaties
ICCPR and ICERD;

28. Their Senate Legal and Constitutional Affairs Committee chaired
by Senators Barnett and Crossin, recently held Inquiry into
Australia’s Judicial System and the Role of Judges, and the Inquiry on
Access to Justice; Barnett and Crossin and the Committee indicated
that certain groups of people will not be helped by these inquiries,
and refused to publish submissions of those people, and or properly
considered their submissions;

29. This is a concerted effort by the Commonwealth of Australia to
pervert justice and corrupt the Australian Constitution and the laws
under it;

30. They do this by violating the Evidence Act and abusing
discretionary powers, the rules of natural justice and first
principles of law and justice, and abusing Leave to Appeal as an
instrument of imprisonment of people in a legal void, that’s ultra
vires and extra judicial, based on personal discriminatory opinion
rather than legal and lawful opinion;

31. They do this with full authority from their dishonourable
judges, all the way to the High Court Australia and the Chief Justice
Robert Shenton French, in M142 Pham vs French, who violate the oath of
office, the same judges who have not been able to affirm their taking
of the oath of office;

32. They imprison people in this legal void, conspiring to cause
injuries, inciting racial hatred, forcing people to fight back and
then to imprison them, all on discretionary proceedings; They set the
people up to fail and when the people fail they call them inferior,
locking them up in ghettos and apartheid;

33. The hallmark of the Australian judiciary is abuse of
discretionary powers and abuse of rules evidence;

34. VID 91/2009 Pham vs the Commonwealth is clear evidence of clear
and present danger to the Australian Constitution;

35. Middleton J has authorised the disregards for the rules of
evidence and the Evidence Act and first principles of law and justice;

36. Middleton J has authorised that the sworn testimonies of one
ethnic group is less valid in the Australian Courts, than another
ethnic group;

37. Middleton J has authorised the prejudicial hijacking of the
running of the case by one party in preference of another, by the
judicial officer no less;

38. Middleton J has imprisoned myself and my fellow Australians in
legal void;

39. Middleton J has conspired to cause injuries, mental harm and
mental stress, “intentionally causing great suffering, or serious
injury to body or to mental or physical health.”

40. Middleton J has stolen my Australian Citizenship, my rights to
justice and legal process;

41. We urge the ICC to enforce the jurisdiction of the ICC and the
Rome Statutes, in prosecuting the Commonwealth of Australia and its
public servants, in violation of local and international laws, ICCPR,
ICERD, the Australian Constitution, the Evidence Act 1995 (Cth),
Crimes Act 1914 (Cth), HREAOCA1986, RDA1975;

42. Please have continuous correspondence with us and other
Australians to elaborate the crimes of the Commonwealth of Australian
has inflicted on many Australians, black, white and colored;

43. Further submissions will be forthcoming.

Article 5

Crimes within the jurisdiction of the Court

1. The jurisdiction of the Court shall be limited to the most
serious crimes of concern to the international community as a whole.
The Court has jurisdiction in accordance with this Statute with
respect to the following crimes:

(a) The crime of genocide;

(b) Crimes against humanity;

(c) War crimes;

2. The Court shall exercise jurisdiction over the crime of
aggression once a provision is adopted in accordance with articles 121
and 123 defining the crime and setting out the conditions under which
the Court shall exercise jurisdiction with respect to this crime. Such
a provision shall be consistent with the relevant provisions of the
Charter of the United Nations.

Article 6

Genocide

For the purpose of this Statute, "genocide" means any of
the following acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in
part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group, as such:

(a) Killing members of the group;

(b) Causing serious bodily or mental harm to members of the group;

(c) Deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life
calculated to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in
part;

(d) Imposing measures intended to prevent births within the group;

(e) Forcibly transferring children of the group to another group.

Article 7

Crimes against humanity

1. For the purpose of this Statute, "crime against humanity"
means any of the following acts when committed as part of a widespread
or systematic attack directed against any civilian population, with
knowledge of the attack:

(a) Murder;

(b) Extermination;

(c) Enslavement;

(d) Deportation or forcible transfer of population;

(e) Imprisonment or other severe deprivation of physical liberty
in violation of fundamental rules of international law;

(f) Torture;

(g) Rape, sexual slavery, enforced prostitution, forced pregnancy,
enforced sterilization, or any other form of sexual violence of
comparable gravity;

(h) Persecution against any identifiable group or collectivity on
political, racial, national, ethnic, cultural, religious, gender as
defined in paragraph 3, or other grounds that are universally
recognized as impermissible under international law, in connection
with any act referred to in this paragraph or any crime within the
jurisdiction of the Court;

(i) Enforced disappearance of persons;

(j) The crime of apartheid;

(k) Other inhumane acts of a similar character intentionally
causing great suffering, or serious injury to body or to mental or
physical health.

2. For the purpose of paragraph 1:

(a) "Attack directed against any civilian population" means a
course of conduct involving the multiple commission of acts referred
to in paragraph 1 against any civilian population, pursuant to or in
furtherance of a State or organizational policy to commit such attack;

(b) "Extermination" includes the intentional infliction of
conditions of life, inter alia the deprivation of access to food and
medicine, calculated to bring about the destruction of part of a
population;

(c) "Enslavement" means the exercise of any or all of the powers
attaching to the right of ownership over a person and includes the
exercise of such power in the course of trafficking in persons, in
particular women and children;

(d) "Deportation or forcible transfer of population" means forced
displacement of the persons concerned by expulsion or other coercive
acts from the area in which they are lawfully present, without grounds
permitted under international law;

(e) "Torture" means the intentional infliction of severe pain or
suffering, whether physical or mental, upon a person in the custody or
under the control of the accused; except that torture shall not
include pain or suffering arising only from, inherent in or incidental
to, lawful sanctions;

(f) "Forced pregnancy" means the unlawful confinement of a woman
forcibly made pregnant, with the intent of affecting the ethnic
composition of any population or carrying out other grave violations
of international law. This definition shall not in any way be
interpreted as affecting national laws relating to pregnancy;

(g) "Persecution" means the intentional and severe deprivation of
fundamental rights contrary to international law by reason of the
identity of the group or collectivity;

(h) "The crime of apartheid" means inhumane acts of a character
similar to those referred to in paragraph 1, committed in the context
of an institutionalized regime of systematic oppression and domination
by one racial group over any other racial group or groups and
committed with the intention of maintaining that regime;

(i) "Enforced disappearance of persons" means the arrest,
detention or abduction of persons by, or with the authorization,
support or acquiescence of, a State or a political organization,
followed by a refusal to acknowledge that deprivation of freedom or to
give information on the fate or whereabouts of those persons, with the
intention of removing them from the protection of the law for a
prolonged period of time.

3. For the purpose of this Statute, it is understood that the
term "gender" refers to the two sexes, male and female, within the
context of society. The term "gender" does not indicate any meaning
different from the above.

AUTHORITY

1. Azzopardi v Tasman UEB Industries Ltd

2. Refugee Review Tribunal;

3. Ex parte Aala (2000) 204 CLR 82.

4. Coco v The Queen (1994)

5. The University of Wollongong v Metwally (1984)

6. International Convenant on the Eliminations of All forms of
Racial Discrimination

7. International Convenant on the Civil and Political Rights

8. Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Act (Cth) 1986

9. Subramanian v Public Prosecutor [1956] 1 WLR 965

10. Travers v State of New South Wales [2000] FCA 1565 (3 November
2000)

11. High Court of Australia Act 1979 (Cth) s11 and Schedule

12. Lord Denning The Discipline of Law, Butterworths London 1979
p209.

Mandamus

Mandamus will lie for an abuse of discretion where discretion has been
exercised arbitrarily and capriciously or where discretion has been
exercised in bad faith, Peavey Co. V. Corcoran 714 S.W.2d 943. In such
instances the abuse amounts, in effect, to no discretion. Mandamus is
warranted when the abuse is clear or results in a manifest injustice,
Reis V. Nangle 349 S.W.2d 943. Mandamus will lie when an official
refuses to act when he has a duty to act and refuses to do so.

Monday, 23
November 2009

Signature:

Cheers

Admin
http://kangaroocourtaustralia.com
iWitness: Judicial Corruption
http://iwitness.x24hr.com/judicial_corruption/

2 attachments — Download all attachments
ICC_23November2009.pdf ICC_23November2009.pdf
154K View Download
2754_001.pdf 2754_001.pdf
885K View Download

why little Johnnie Winston Coward Howard?

why must you cover up for your crooked white mates like crooked high
court judges French, Hayne, Gummow and Crennan JJ ?

Senate Enquiries: Whitewash
http://www.aph.gov.au/Senate/committee/legcon_ctte/judicial_system/in...
iWitness: Judicial Corruption Australia
http://iwitness.x24hr.com/judicial_corruption/index.php?/topic/2217-y...

Heres a Documentary on how these corrupt judges conspire to pervert
justice and fabricate documents, include the newly appointed Chief
Justice Robert Stenton French

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyj_gWqdDWQ

The little Johnnie Winston Coward Howard neverending Magic Pudding
therapy,
where feckin white pedophiles with the nerve to accuse blackfellas !!!

Crooked racist white Australia ^^

http://iwitness.x24hr.com/judicial_corruption/index.php
http://kangaroocourtaustralia.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyj_gWqdDWQ&feature=channel_page
http://www.youtube.com/user/fightKangarooCourts

CrazyCam

Nov 23, 2009, 4:00:04 PM11/23/09

I don't like him much either.

regards,
CrazyCam

hippo

Nov 23, 2009, 5:30:37 PM11/23/09

Here are some epitaphs in a similar vein.

Here Lies
Ezekail Aikle
Aged 102
The Good
Die Young
Anonymous

Hotten
Rotten
Forgotten
George Sala on John Hotten

Where his soul's gone or how it fares
Nobody knows, and nobody cares
Anonymous, Newbury, England

Here lies my wife: here let her lie !
Now she's at rest and so am I
John Dryden (1631-1700) on his wife

Posted at www.usenet.com.au

BT Humble

Nov 23, 2009, 8:58:41 PM11/23/09
Rheilly Phoull wrote:
> "Diogenes" <cy...@society.sux.ok> wrote in message
>
> > These glorious insults are from an era before the English language got
> > boiled down to 4-letter words.
>
> Ya right of course, I recall one of Whitlams rejoinders at an election rally
> meeting. He was going on with the usual when a heckler bellowed out "Yeah go
> on Gough, tell us all you ya know.... it wont take long!!" to which Gough
> replied "I'll tell them all we both know, it wont take any longer!!"

One of my ancestors had a reputation for quick with like that. Back
in the times when pretty much every man in Australia had a Ned Kelly
type of beard he was attempting to get elected to something, and in
the midst of his speech a woman heckler called out "Mr Berry! May I
set a hen in your beard?"[1]

The story goes that without missing a beat he called back "Certainly
madam - if I may set a cock in yours!"

BTH
[1] As in, make a nest for the hen.

Diogenes

Nov 23, 2009, 9:34:40 PM11/23/09
On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 17:58:41 -0800 (PST), BT Humble
<b...@humbletown.org> wrote:

>One of my ancestors had a reputation for quick wit like that. Back

>in the times when pretty much every man in Australia had a Ned Kelly
>type of beard he was attempting to get elected to something, and in
>the midst of his speech a woman heckler called out "Mr Berry! May I
>set a hen in your beard?"[1]

>The story goes that without missing a beat he called back "Certainly
>madam - if I may set a cock in yours!"

>[1] As in, make a nest for the hen.

ROFL Brill !!!

=================

Onya bike

Gerry

atec7 7

Nov 23, 2009, 10:20:37 PM11/23/09
Well he has had enough manlurve to even keep Jerry happy

Kevin Gleeson

Nov 23, 2009, 11:28:15 PM11/23/09
On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 13:20:37 +1000, atec7 7 <"atec 77"@hotmail.com>
wrote:

<$.02>
I thought he was an arrogant dude but did a great job as Treasurer and
pretty good one as PM.
No-one said that the best person to run the cuntry has to be a nice
guy.
</$.02>

Dr. Sir John Howard, AC, WSCMoF

Nov 24, 2009, 12:21:19 AM11/24/09
Kevin Gleeson wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 13:20:37 +1000, atec7 7 <"atec 77"@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> CrazyCam wrote:

>>> I don't like him much either.
>>>
>> Well he has had enough manlurve to even keep Jerry happy
>
> <$.02>
> I thought he was an arrogant dude but did a great job as Treasurer and
> pretty good one as PM.

17% interest rates does not a good treasurer make.

> No-one said that the best person to run the cuntry has to be a nice
> guy.

Better than arseholes like Shitlam, Borke, Cheating and KRudd.

> </$.02>

Kevin Gleeson

Nov 24, 2009, 1:38:37 AM11/24/09
On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 16:21:19 +1100, "Dr. Sir John Howard, AC, WSCMoF "
<""noujwas\"@yahoo.com ."> wrote:

>Kevin Gleeson wrote:
>> On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 13:20:37 +1000, atec7 7 <"atec 77"@hotmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Well he has had enough manlurve to even keep Jerry happy
>>
>> <$.02>
>> I thought he was an arrogant dude but did a great job as Treasurer and
>> pretty good one as PM.
>
>17% interest rates does not a good treasurer make.

And the rest of the world was doing what? If you think Keating or
Costello or any of them can control global influences on interest
rates then I want to borrow money off you.

I hurt from that as well. Was buying my first house in that era.
Fucking hurt.

>> No-one said that the best person to run the cuntry has to be a nice
>> guy.
>
>Better than arseholes like Shitlam, Borke, Cheating and KRudd.

Right is thataway George >>>

G-S

Nov 24, 2009, 2:03:55 AM11/24/09
Kevin Gleeson wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 16:21:19 +1100, "Dr. Sir John Howard, AC, WSCMoF "
> <""noujwas\"@yahoo.com ."> wrote:
>

>>> I thought he was an arrogant dude but did a great job as Treasurer and
>>> pretty good one as PM.
>> 17% interest rates does not a good treasurer make.
>
> And the rest of the world was doing what? If you think Keating or
> Costello or any of them can control global influences on interest
> rates then I want to borrow money off you.
>
> I hurt from that as well. Was buying my first house in that era.
> Fucking hurt.

I locked in a much lower rate before the interest rates went sky high. I
was going around telling people interest rates were going to go up and
people were laughing at me.

They weren't laughing a couple of years later.

G-S

atec7 7

Nov 24, 2009, 2:48:12 AM11/24/09
He was an ok money man but as Pm his arrogance over took any ability he
had , he seemed to think the Australian public were a sexual bottom as
evidenced when evicted at the next election

Kevin Gleeson

Nov 24, 2009, 3:14:30 AM11/24/09

Yeah - I missed that one. 20/20 hindsight and all.

Could have bought a block and had a new house built with a $1000
deposit on a $100,000 loan at Castle Hill in Sydney in 1987. Didn't
want to get in that much debt did I? So paid $1400 bond on a place in
Chatswood and paid more in rent than the house loan would have cost. 6
months later the housing market exploded and when I left Syney in 1989
that house would have been worth $350,000. Probably a million now.

Oh well.

I've got a backpack.

Oh, and a bedroom in Northcote. Signed up for it today. Great BBQ area
out the back. Bring on summer.

Kevin Gleeson

Nov 24, 2009, 3:25:24 AM11/24/09
On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 17:48:12 +1000, atec7 7 <"atec 77"@hotmail.com>
wrote:

And also, that is still my point. Who says the popular guy is the
right one to run th country or a company or whatever. Im business the
owner might be a right prick but gets on with it and makes it work.

Unfortunately politics doesn't work that way.

I'd throw Arnold Schwarzenegger up as an example except he's a cunt
and seems to be doing a pretty good job. Just because you are popular
doesn't mean you are competent.

Isaac Asimov wrote a book probably about half a century ago (which
name eludes me right now) where the president of the planet was chosen
by a computer algoirthm on merit and not on popularity as they had
decided that the worst people to be in power were the ones that wanted
to be in power. The candidate was not given the option. They had to
run the planet for a year. Obviously a pipe dream, but pointing it
back to Keating, I think the hard decisions he made pushed us towards
a quicker recovery that the Howard government then reaped the benefits
of for the next decade.

Arrogant cunt? Yes
Incompetent? No

atec7 7

Nov 24, 2009, 4:38:25 AM11/24/09
I can't agree with you about Howard reaping the benefits
fact was there was an imperative in cheatings mind to make a "banana"
republic due to his gaining office
He was wrong and I remember standing in a Gun shop here in Brisbane
buying shells for my 44 mag and an older bloke talking about dropping
cheating as he had only weeks to live ( lung cancer)
Made the haris on the back of my neck take notice as the general
feeling was someone had elected the wrong bloke and some short cuts
might be made to resolution
As for Jh I have to say he did a decent job in office mostly and in
many parts generated a lot of good work and results in-spite of what
cheating did to the groin of Au (and blocking big ears from gaining
office ) regretfully neither party has another states man of worth and
when krudd is tossed shortly I wonder who can take the reins although we
may have a new candidate tomorrow
One never knows ?
Incidently I used to read a lot of Asimove from the very early 1960's
and don't recall the book you mention so remind me again if you remember

Dr. Sir John Howard, AC, WSCMoF

Nov 24, 2009, 4:56:56 AM11/24/09

I'd be happy to lend but you might not like the rate.

> I hurt from that as well. Was buying my first house in that era.
> Fucking hurt.

I made a shitload by investing in 90 day bank bills.

>>> No-one said that the best person to run the cuntry has to be a nice
>>> guy.
>> Better than arseholes like Shitlam, Borke, Cheating and KRudd.
>
> Right is thataway George >>>

Costanza or Clooney?

Kevin Gleeson

Nov 24, 2009, 5:31:57 AM11/24/09
On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 19:38:25 +1000, atec7 7 <"atec 77"@hotmail.com>
wrote:

I'll try and recall the Asimov book but I'm shit on names.

As for the Keating/Howard thing, no-one can deny that Howard was a
consumate politician. But that was the thing that annoyed me about
him. If Keating thought you were a cunt he'd bloody well tell you and
get on with doing with what he thought was right. Whether that was
good for the country or not can be debated to the world's end. Howard
just seemed to me as a snivelling little creep who surrounded himself
with yes people and pandered to the right wing media. Costello would
have done much better I reckon, but party politics behind the scene
seem to have stopped that. Johnny must be good at blowjobs.

Andrew Peacock would have been good I reckon, but in the wrong place
at the wrong time.

Peter Rae would have done damn well, but I might be biased as I grew
up next door to him.

My family has a close connection to the Liberal Party. Joe Lyons son
Brendan is best friend of my parents.

I don't care for party poloitics but have a left/green leaning, but
will go with whoever looks good at the time. They are all looking
shades of grey at the moment.

George W Frost

Nov 24, 2009, 6:18:10 AM11/24/09

"Kevin Gleeson" <keving...@imagine-it.com.au> wrote in message

Somewhere near the swimming pool ??

JL

Nov 24, 2009, 6:45:22 AM11/24/09
Kevin Gleeson wrote:

> Isaac Asimov wrote a book probably about half a century ago (which
> name eludes me right now) where the president of the planet was chosen
> by a computer algoirthm on merit and not on popularity as they had
> decided that the worst people to be in power were the ones that wanted
> to be in power. The candidate was not given the option. They had to
> run the planet for a year.

This one ?
http://www.helium.com/items/1648108-franchise-by-asimov

Nev..

Nov 24, 2009, 7:31:44 AM11/24/09
Kevin Gleeson wrote:

> As for the Keating/Howard thing, no-one can deny that Howard was a
> consumate politician. But that was the thing that annoyed me about
> him. If Keating thought you were a cunt he'd bloody well tell you and
> get on with doing with what he thought was right. Whether that was
> good for the country or not can be debated to the world's end. Howard
> just seemed to me as a snivelling little creep who surrounded himself
> with yes people and pandered to the right wing media. Costello would
> have done much better I reckon, but party politics behind the scene
> seem to have stopped that. Johnny must be good at blowjobs.

I believe you got that round the wrong way. I think history shows that
every time Costello confronted Howard about the leadership it was he who
departed wiping his chin and brushing the dust from the knees of his pants.

Nev..
'08 DL1000K8

Dr. Sir John Howard, AC, WSCMoF

Nov 24, 2009, 7:46:22 AM11/24/09
Kevin Gleeson wrote:

> Andrew Peacock would have been good I reckon, but in the wrong place
> at the wrong time.

Peacock was a bit of a ponce. John Hewson was the one that should have been.

atec7 7

Nov 24, 2009, 7:56:41 AM11/24/09
Not a snow flakes chance
he has no bottle and is consumed by fiscal gluttony to the expense
of others

but party politics behind the scene
> seem to have stopped that. Johnny must be good at blowjobs.

Ah that's keatings field of expertise

> Andrew Peacock would have been good I reckon, but in the wrong place
> at the wrong time.

He had some skeletons though that were to public

> Peter Rae would have done damn well, but I might be biased as I grew
> up next door to him.
>
> My family has a close connection to the Liberal Party. Joe Lyons son
> Brendan is best friend of my parents.
>
> I don't care for party poloitics but have a left/green leaning, but
> will go with whoever looks good at the time. They are all looking
> shades of grey at the moment.

After tonight's bllod letting we may still have a new Liberal leader
after xmas but certainly not before
It looks atm like the knob currently playing fly me to the moon gets a
few more undeserved weeks at the help of the Good Ship Billions in Debt
I suspect Iron bar might be about to retire ?

atec7 7

Nov 24, 2009, 7:59:24 AM11/24/09
Dr. Sir John Howard, AC, WSCMoF > wrote:
> Kevin Gleeson wrote:
>>
>> Andrew Peacock would have been good I reckon, but in the wrong place
>> at the wrong time.
>
> Peacock was a bit of a ponce. John Hewson was the one that should have
> been.

Hewson was a top bloke BUT he also has history that brought about his
downfall

Dr. Sir John Howard, AC, WSCMoF

Nov 24, 2009, 8:08:52 AM11/24/09

He was the only one with any real economics background. But real decent blokes
don't get far in politics.

Deevo

Nov 24, 2009, 8:38:16 AM11/24/09
"atec7 7" <"atec 77"@hotmail.com> wrote in message

I can't say I was exactly fond of the guy either but he could manage a
comeback. Better than that snivelling simpering traitorous sell out Howard.
--
Deevo
Geraldton Western Australia

CrazyCam

Nov 24, 2009, 2:48:42 PM11/24/09
Kevin Gleeson wrote:

<snip>

> Isaac Asimov wrote a book probably about half a century ago (which
> name eludes me right now) where the president of the planet was chosen
> by a computer algoirthm on merit and not on popularity as they had
> decided that the worst people to be in power were the ones that wanted
> to be in power. The candidate was not given the option. They had to
> run the planet for a year.

I don't remember an Asimov story like that, but G.K.Chesterton wrote, on
the same idea, a goodly number of years before Asimov.

Choice was by lottery, rather than computer.

The Napoleon of Notting Hill Gate?

regards,
CrazyCam

atec7 7

Nov 24, 2009, 3:35:25 PM11/24/09
Why ?
having a comeback means little and why your opinion of JH ?
Message has been deleted

Kevin Gleeson

Nov 24, 2009, 5:53:01 PM11/24/09
On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 00:08:52 +1100, "Dr. Sir John Howard, AC, WSCMoF "
<""noujwas\"@yahoo.com ."> wrote:

>atec7 7 wrote:
>> Dr. Sir John Howard, AC, WSCMoF > wrote:

>>> Peacock was a bit of a ponce. John Hewson was the one that should have
>>> been.
>>>
>> Hewson was a top bloke BUT he also has history that brought about his
>> downfall
>
>He was the only one with any real economics background. But real decent blokes
>don't get far in politics.

My point re Keating exactly.

Kevin Gleeson

Nov 24, 2009, 5:56:32 PM11/24/09
On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 22:56:41 +1000, atec7 7 <"atec 77"@hotmail.com>
wrote:

Turnbull is in a difficult position (no shit Batman), and Abbott
claiming support I reckon shows Abbott doesn't want that hot potato
right now. I don't mind Turnbull, but reckon he's got a snowball's
chance of leading into the next election. If he doesn't go in the next
week, he'll be left there to struggle along til close to election
time when the bright new light will be introduced to lead Australia to
a new golden age.

Deevo

Nov 24, 2009, 5:54:16 PM11/24/09
"atec7 7" <"atec 77"@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Does show that he was capable on independant thought.

> and why your opinion of JH ?

Simple, the guy was a traitor that was prepared to sell us to the Americans.
I don't dislike Americans so much but that doesn't mean I want to become
one.

Kevin Gleeson

Nov 24, 2009, 5:59:15 PM11/24/09

Yeah - sound like the one. Must have been 30 years since I read it but
remember liking the idea. Taking the ego out of the politics.

BT Humble

Nov 24, 2009, 6:34:34 PM11/24/09
CrazyCam wrote:

IIRC Arthur C Clarke used a similar principle for electing the
president of a planet in "The Songs of Distant Earth".

BTH

BT Humble

Nov 24, 2009, 6:37:09 PM11/24/09
On Nov 25, 9:59 am, Kevin Gleeson <kevinglee...@imagine-it.com.au>
wrote:

I've read a quote years ago that went something like:

"Displaying a desire to run for office should be cause to disqualify a
man from doing so."

BTH

Kevin Gleeson

Nov 24, 2009, 6:45:17 PM11/24/09

Yeah - that was what I was thinking of too. Dunno whether it was in
Asimov's story or whether he was running with that quote.

hippo

Nov 24, 2009, 7:06:07 PM11/24/09
atec7 7 wrote:

> Deevo wrote:
> > "atec7 7" <"atec 77"@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> >> No matter what you call it a queer boy insult from the mouth of keating
is
> >> still wasted O2
> >> may he and his corrupt arse die a painful death
> >
> > I can't say I was exactly fond of the guy either but he could manage a
> > comeback. Better than that snivelling simpering traitorous sell out
Howard.
> Why ?
> having a comeback means little and why your opinion of JH ?

I think he probably displayed a better ability to voice his own thoughts
and extemporise than any other Oz PM in at least the last 40 years.

Posted at www.usenet.com.au

theo

Nov 24, 2009, 7:19:22 PM11/24/09
On Nov 24, 4:25 pm, Kevin Gleeson <kevinglee...@imagine-it.com.au>
wrote:

> Isaac Asimov wrote a book probably about half a century ago (which
> name eludes me right now) where the president of the planet was chosen
> by a computer algoirthm on merit and not on popularity as they had
> decided that the worst people to be in power were the ones that wanted
> to be in power. The candidate was not given the option. They had to
> run the planet for a year.

Foundation I think, the first of the Foundation and empire trilogy.

And yes, I've read all of Asimov's fiction, and some of his excellent
non-fiction.

Theo

theo

Nov 24, 2009, 7:19:29 PM11/24/09
> and don't recall the book you mention so remind me again if you remember- Hide quoted text -

Kevin Gleeson

Nov 24, 2009, 7:37:55 PM11/24/09

No - wasn't Foundation. There was another more specific situation I
was thinking of than Foundation.

Agree with you on his non-fiction too. Asimov on Astronomy was a very
entertaining read and laid out very well to get laymen interested in
astronomy.

atec7 7

Nov 24, 2009, 8:10:13 PM11/24/09
I actually quite like Turnbul and if nothing else apart from being a bit
stuffy he does do a solid handshake unlike Keating who was like grasping
a cold fish (JH had a great shake as well )
I feel your summation is correct and at this point we have no news
here about the 8 am meeting so any guess will do
I met our current Pm once and instantly dislike the bloke ...
sorta like you wanna kick the MIL .

atec7 7

Nov 24, 2009, 8:11:56 PM11/24/09
Deevo wrote:
> "atec7 7" <"atec 77"@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Deevo wrote:
>>> "atec7 7" <"atec 77"@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> I can't say I was exactly fond of the guy either but he could manage a
>>> comeback. Better than that snivelling simpering traitorous sell out
>>> Howard.
>> Why ?
>> having a comeback means little
>
> Does show that he was capable on independant thought.
not really just h memorised a dozen vitriolic smart arse replys
Hell even I can do that

>> and why your opinion of JH ?
>
> Simple, the guy was a traitor that was prepared to sell us to the Americans.
I dont see sucking up to a huge power for economic advantage to be as
you suggest

> I don't dislike Americans so much but that doesn't mean I want to become
> one.
I doubt your ignorate enough but I could bat your head to slow you down ?

atec7 7

Nov 24, 2009, 8:14:11 PM11/24/09
Sorry Theo but you're lost in all the old quotes
please try again

Dr. Sir John Howard, AC, WSCMoF

Nov 24, 2009, 8:48:17 PM11/24/09

Yep. Frog clock tinkerers are only fit for pump priming.

Dr. Sir John Howard, AC, WSCMoF

Nov 24, 2009, 8:51:02 PM11/24/09
atec7 7 wrote:

> Kevin Gleeson wrote:
>>
>> Turnbull is in a difficult position (no shit Batman), and Abbott
>> claiming support I reckon shows Abbott doesn't want that hot potato
>> right now. I don't mind Turnbull, but reckon he's got a snowball's
>> chance of leading into the next election. If he doesn't go in the next
>> week, he'll be left there to struggle along til close to election
>> time when the bright new light will be introduced to lead Australia to
>> a new golden age.
> I actually quite like Turnbul and if nothing else apart from being a bit
> stuffy he does do a solid handshake unlike Keating who was like grasping
> a cold fish (JH had a great shake as well )

Remember that handshake with Latham?

> I feel your summation is correct and at this point we have no news here
> about the 8 am meeting so any guess will do
> I met our current Pm once and instantly dislike the bloke ...
> sorta like you wanna kick the MIL .

He's like a little weasel.

George W Frost

Nov 24, 2009, 9:04:51 PM11/24/09

"BT Humble" <b...@humbletown.org> wrote in message

BTH

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Any organization who would want me as a member would not be worth joining

George W Frost

Nov 24, 2009, 9:07:49 PM11/24/09

"hippo" <am9obmhAc2hvYWwubmV0LmF1@REGISTERED_USER_usenet.com.au> wrote in
message news:hehsdf$t6g$1...@news.eternal-september.org...

He he he he, Any boss who sacks a worker for not turning up today is a bum.'

atec7 7

Nov 24, 2009, 9:34:59 PM11/24/09
Dr. Sir John Howard, AC, WSCMoF > wrote:
> atec7 7 wrote:
>> Kevin Gleeson wrote:
>>>
>>> Turnbull is in a difficult position (no shit Batman), and Abbott
>>> claiming support I reckon shows Abbott doesn't want that hot potato
>>> right now. I don't mind Turnbull, but reckon he's got a snowball's
>>> chance of leading into the next election. If he doesn't go in the next
>>> week, he'll be left there to struggle along til close to election
>>> time when the bright new light will be introduced to lead Australia to
>>> a new golden age.
>> I actually quite like Turnbul and if nothing else apart from being a
>> bit stuffy he does do a solid handshake unlike Keating who was like
>> grasping a cold fish (JH had a great shake as well )
>
> Remember that handshake with Latham?

I do remember he needed a deodorant and he is a very unattractive man

Dr. Sir John Howard, AC, WSCMoF

Nov 24, 2009, 11:23:36 PM11/24/09
atec7 7 wrote:
> Dr. Sir John Howard, AC, WSCMoF > wrote:
>> atec7 7 wrote:

>>> I actually quite like Turnbul and if nothing else apart from being a
>>> bit stuffy he does do a solid handshake unlike Keating who was like
>>> grasping a cold fish (JH had a great shake as well )
>>
>> Remember that handshake with Latham?
>
> I do remember he needed a deodorant and he is a very unattractive man

LOL! He also has a problem with cameras.

Andrew

Nov 25, 2009, 4:02:12 AM11/25/09
On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 11:37:55 +1100, Kevin Gleeson wrote:

> No - wasn't Foundation. There was another more specific situation I was
> thinking of than Foundation.
>
> Agree with you on his non-fiction too. Asimov on Astronomy was a very
> entertaining read and laid out very well to get laymen interested in
> astronomy.

Are you sure it wasn't a short story? I vaguely recall something like
that in 'The Stars Like Dust' but I could be wrong.

--
Regards

Andrew

Andrew

Nov 25, 2009, 4:17:22 AM11/25/09

'Franchise' it was, as JL pointed out. Learn to read the rest of the
thread before posting, Andrew.

--
Regards

Andrew

Lars Chance

Nov 25, 2009, 7:44:19 AM11/25/09
Nev.. wrote:

> Kevin Gleeson wrote:
>
>> As for the Keating/Howard thing, no-one can deny that Howard was a
>> consumate politician. But that was the thing that annoyed me about
>> him. If Keating thought you were a cunt he'd bloody well tell you and
>> get on with doing with what he thought was right. Whether that was
>> good for the country or not can be debated to the world's end. Howard
>> just seemed to me as a snivelling little creep who surrounded himself
>> with yes people and pandered to the right wing media. Costello would
>> have done much better I reckon, but party politics behind the scene

>> seem to have stopped that. Johnny must be good at blowjobs.
>
> I believe you got that round the wrong way. I think history shows that
> every time Costello confronted Howard about the leadership it was he who
> departed wiping his chin and brushing the dust from the knees of his pants.

http://opensourcejokes.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/hmmm.jpg
(but yes; I believe you are correct Nev. I doubt he was wiping his
mouth so much as rubbing his arse though.....)

--
Elsie.

Lars Chance

Nov 25, 2009, 7:49:00 AM11/25/09
Kevin Gleeson wrote:

> Turnbull is in a difficult position (no shit Batman), and Abbott
> claiming support I reckon shows Abbott doesn't want that hot potato
> right now. I don't mind Turnbull, but reckon he's got a snowball's
> chance of leading into the next election. If he doesn't go in the next
> week, he'll be left there to struggle along til close to election
> time when the bright new light will be introduced to lead Australia to
> a new golden age.

Yep; he's the Bill Hayden of the party. He'll do all the grunt work
until 6 months before the election then he'll be tossed aside.
(I was surprised he ever took the albatross from Brendan Nelson)

--
Elsie.

Kevin Gleeson

Nov 25, 2009, 5:15:23 PM11/25/09

Now that starts to ring a bell. Unfortunately when I made my aborted
move to the UK I sold all my books. 5 years ago I would have just
walked over to the bookshelves and found it . . .

Kevin Gleeson

Nov 25, 2009, 5:16:15 PM11/25/09

I have a feeling the short story story might be right though. Argghh.
I want all my books back.

Andrew

Nov 25, 2009, 9:08:56 PM11/25/09

'Franchise' was published in:

'The Best SF of Isaac Asimov', Doubleday. 1986
'Robot Dreams', Berkely, 1986
'The Asimov Chronicles', Dark Harvest, 1989

and a lot of 'Best of ...' type anthologies since. I must have had 'Robot
Dreams'.

--
Regards

Andrew

hippo

Nov 26, 2009, 12:18:19 AM11/26/09
atec7 7 wrote:

> Deevo wrote:
> > "atec7 7" <"atec 77"@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> >> Why ?
> >> having a comeback means little
> >
> > Does show that he was capable on independant thought.
> not really just h memorised a dozen vitriolic smart arse replys
> Hell even I can do that

But that's not what I meant. It was rare to see Howard when put on the
spot appear completely off guard or clueless, but it's much more common
with some other leaders & ministers who seem to have a John Laws like
dependency on research teams and uber scripting :)

Posted at www.usenet.com.au

G-S

Nov 26, 2009, 2:25:41 AM11/26/09
Kevin Gleeson wrote:

>> Incidently I used to read a lot of Asimove from the very early 1960's

>> and don't recall the book you mention so remind me again if you remember
>
> I'll try and recall the Asimov book but I'm shit on names.

I remember the story Kev is talking about but I can't think of the name
either.

I don't think it was a book, I think it was a short story that I read in
a collection of short stories (probably during the 70's).

G-S

G-S

Nov 26, 2009, 4:52:44 AM11/26/09
g...@nsw.qnr.com.au wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 22:45:22 +1100, JL wrote:
>
>> Kevin Gleeson wrote:
>>
>>> Isaac Asimov wrote a book probably about half a century ago (which
>>> name eludes me right now) where the president of the planet was chosen
>>> by a computer algoirthm on merit and not on popularity as they had
>>> decided that the worst people to be in power were the ones that wanted
>>> to be in power. The candidate was not given the option. They had to
>>> run the planet for a year.
>> This one ?
>> http://www.helium.com/items/1648108-franchise-by-asimov
>
> Ah, an early Multivac tale. Never saw it, but it looks interesting
> enough despite the reviewer's reservations. I'll add it to the list of
> things that need to be read.

That's the one, it was interesting to read in a time when computers were
great huge monolithic mainframes and the trend looked set to continue to
get more and more centralized.

It'd read a bit dated these days I suspect.

It's not a novel, not a short story either.

Umm novella? Novellete?

I can't remember at which points the SF magazines make the cut offs for
each category.

G-S

G-S

Nov 26, 2009, 5:16:14 AM11/26/09

I remember owning 'Robot Dreams', picked it up 2nd hand in ratty
condition. I've still got it somewhere.

I'm sure I read it earlier than that though, perhaps in one of the many
very tatty SF magazines that I picked up 2nd hand from the 2nd hand book
store. Some of them were quite old, but for about 20c each they gave
excellent entertainment to a broke university student.

G-S

Message has been deleted

Andrew

Nov 26, 2009, 7:52:50 PM11/26/09
On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 21:35:27 +1100, GWD wrote:

> I think this was a short story, maybe from Astounding or somesuch. The
> good doctor was an ardent contributor to the penny dreadfuls of the day.
> I agree that some of his computer stories might seem a bit weird in
> today's context. In general I don't think that Asimov at his best would
> appear dated into the foreseeable future, though.

It was a short story and it was first published in 'If' magazine in 1955.
'If' could be a bit penny-dreadful on occasion, but 'Astounding' never
was.

--
Regards

Andrew

Message has been deleted

Andrew

Nov 26, 2009, 11:11:20 PM11/26/09
On Fri, 27 Nov 2009 02:34:38 +0000, gwd wrote:

> On Fri, 27 Nov 2009 00:52:50 GMT, Andrew wrote:
>

>>It was a short story and it was first published in 'If' magazine in
>>1955. 'If' could be a bit penny-dreadful on occasion, but 'Astounding'
>>never was.
>

> I guess you need to understand what the term "Penny Dreadful" has come
> to mean.
> Hint: it doesn't necessarily mean that the publication was dreadful.

I will be fascinated to discover what a 'penny dreadful' means to you if
it doesn't mean what it means to everyone else. From T.A.S. Wikipedia:

" A penny dreadful (also called penny number and penny blood) was a type
of British fiction publication in the nineteenth century that usually
featured lurid serial stories appearing in parts over a number of weeks,
each part costing a penny. The term, however, soon came to encompass a
variety of publications that featured cheap sensational fiction, such as
story papers and booklet “libraries.” The penny dreadfuls were printed on
cheap pulp paper and were aimed primarily at working class adolescents. "

Cheap sensational fiction? Primarily aimed at working class adolscents?
Not after John W. Campbell, Jr, took over as editor in 1938. It was
certainly printed on cheap paper, at least until it was sold to Conde
Nast, but it wasn't really a pulp-fiction magazine.

--
Regards

Andrew

Message has been deleted

Andrew

Nov 27, 2009, 2:45:05 AM11/27/09
On Fri, 27 Nov 2009 06:13:38 +0000, gwd wrote:

> On Fri, 27 Nov 2009 04:11:20 GMT, Andrew wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 27 Nov 2009 02:34:38 +0000, gwd wrote:
>

> [...]

>>> Hint: it doesn't necessarily mean that the publication was dreadful.
>

>>I will be fascinated to discover what a 'penny dreadful' means to you if
>>it doesn't mean what it means to everyone else. From T.A.S. Wikipedia:
>

> [...]
>
> The term was coined in the 20s.

It was coined in the 1870's. It did not, and does not, apply to
inexpensive American publications of the 1920's and 1930's, which are
colloquially described as 'pulp fiction'.

HTH

--
Regards

Andrew

Message has been deleted

JohnO

Nov 27, 2009, 5:02:15 AM11/27/09
On Fri, 27 Nov 2009 20:52:59 +1100, GWD <g...@nsw.chariot.net.au>
wrote:

><sigh>
>OK, have it your way, we are only a pedanteenth of an inch apart
>anyway.

what's that in metric?

Johno

Beer?

Message has been deleted

G-S

Nov 27, 2009, 6:17:56 AM11/27/09
GWD wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 20:52:44 +1100, G-S wrote:
>
> I think this was a short story, maybe from Astounding or somesuch. The
> good doctor was an ardent contributor to the penny dreadfuls of the
> day.
> I agree that some of his computer stories might seem a bit weird in
> today's context. In general I don't think that Asimov at his best
> would appear dated into the foreseeable future, though.

In general I think you're correct, it's just that computers have
advanced so much faster (and in different ways) that the computer
specific stories read a bit like jules vernes.

His 'general' science fiction hasn't dated to a significant extent however.

G-S

G-S

Nov 27, 2009, 6:22:39 AM11/27/09
Andrew wrote:

> Cheap sensational fiction? Primarily aimed at working class adolscents?
> Not after John W. Campbell, Jr, took over as editor in 1938. It was
> certainly printed on cheap paper, at least until it was sold to Conde
> Nast, but it wasn't really a pulp-fiction magazine.

Except that the Doctor himself actually referred to Astounding (and
others) as 'the pulps' on many occasions in various articles.

I would actually regard it as a pulp-fiction magazine, just one of
exceptionally high standards under John W. Campbell Jnr.

G-S

Kevin Gleeson

Nov 27, 2009, 6:28:56 AM11/27/09

Agreed, I reckon he and ACC got it pretty close, in fact Clarke led
some of the developments.

I think the thing I find most cringeworthy in stories from that era is
how they try to handle sex or even just romance. It is so nerdy.
Compare it to Joe Haldeman 20 years later and he just shoves it down
your throat, so to speak. Haldeman did spend time in Vietnam so that
obviously influences his writing. Same as it does to Ron Cobb's
cartoons and set designs for films like Alien and the like.

But on the technology front, Asimov and Clarke pinned it pretty well.
They can't be expected to have every detail down pat, but their
foresght was pretty damn good. Cue Jules Verne 100 years earlier. It's
almost not Science Fiction but Science Prediction.

Moike

Nov 27, 2009, 3:11:55 PM11/27/09
The key point they missed is the miniaturisation of electronics that
made complex systems disposable items. No-one predicted the ubiquitous
computer. Except maybe in Asimov's robots, whose "positronic brains"
read like an introduction to neural networks. The technology is
different, but the concept is pretty much a blueprint for one of the
significant approaches to AI.

Moike

hippo

Nov 27, 2009, 7:34:54 PM11/27/09
Moike wrote:

> Kevin Gleeson wrote:

I don't know about you, but for me one of the great things about science
fiction is whether although later years prove that it wasn't 'the future',
the story still stands up as 'a future'.

BTW, speaking of Jules Verne & different eras / technology / writers, has
anyone read 'With the Night Mail by Rudyard Kipling? The things you find
links to!
http://fat.ly/y8dix

Posted at www.usenet.com.au

Dr. Sir John Howard, AC, WSCMoF

Nov 27, 2009, 7:35:06 PM11/27/09
Moike wrote:

> The key point they missed is the miniaturisation of electronics that
> made complex systems disposable items. No-one predicted the ubiquitous
> computer. Except maybe in Asimov's robots, whose "positronic brains"
> read like an introduction to neural networks. The technology is
> different, but the concept is pretty much a blueprint for one of the
> significant approaches to AI.

What concept? And how does a concept act as a blueprint? Asimov never really
wrote anything concrete that could prove useful. As for AI, yeah, where is it now?

[...]

hippo

Nov 27, 2009, 7:38:53 PM11/27/09
GWD wrote:
> A poofteenth of a pedant?
>
> >Johno
> >
> >Beer?
>
> 50:50 Napoleon Brandy and Babycham poured over clear ice in a whisky
> glass accompanied by thin white bread spread thinly spread with butter
> and finely cut young cucumbers, served on a balcony overlooking the
> ocean just after the start of the afternoon sea breeze, thanks.

Black tie or smart casual?

Posted at www.usenet.com.au

hippo

Nov 27, 2009, 7:47:27 PM11/27/09

You've got to love Wikipedia. Nowadays, when a bunch of us who aren't
really sure about something and only have hearsay to support them can't
sort it out, we can turn to Wikipedia.... and quite often read something
written by people who weren't
really sure about something and only had hearsay to support them! :)

The Oxford Encyclopaedia of Children's Literature covers it quite well if
anyone's interested in following the link. Cheers
http://fat.ly/9x8s1

Posted at www.usenet.com.au

F Murtz

Nov 27, 2009, 9:52:44 PM11/27/09
> BTW, speaking of Jules Verne& different eras / technology / writers, has

> anyone read 'With the Night Mail by Rudyard Kipling? The things you find
> links to!
> http://fat.ly/y8dix

Ever wondered which comes first,the chicken or the egg.
The jules verne type writers might start the inventors wheels turning.

hippo

Nov 27, 2009, 10:32:58 PM11/27/09
Dr. Sir John Howard, AC, WSCMoF wrote:

> Moike wrote:
> >
> > The key point they missed is the miniaturisation of electronics that
> > made complex systems disposable items. No-one predicted the ubiquitous
> > computer. Except maybe in Asimov's robots, whose "positronic brains"
> > read like an introduction to neural networks. The technology is
> > different, but the concept is pretty much a blueprint for one of the
> > significant approaches to AI.
>
> What concept? And how does a concept act as a blueprint? Asimov never really
> wrote anything concrete that could prove useful. As for AI, yeah, where is
it now?

That'd be "Asimov, Isaac", right? :)

Posted at www.usenet.com.au

Kevin Gleeson

Nov 27, 2009, 10:55:23 PM11/27/09
On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 13:52:44 +1100, F Murtz <hag...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

Totally. It puts the idea in peoples' minds til some bright spark
actually creates it.

Clarke is a perfect example with satellites.

G-S

Nov 28, 2009, 12:54:51 AM11/28/09

True and the way that some writers have created believable 'futures'
leaves me in awe.

> BTW, speaking of Jules Verne & different eras / technology / writers, has
> anyone read 'With the Night Mail by Rudyard Kipling? The things you find
> links to!
> http://fat.ly/y8dix

No, but I'll have to now, I've only read a couple of things by him.

G-S

G-S

Nov 28, 2009, 12:56:57 AM11/28/09

Not just satellites but geosynchronous satellites.

G-S

Kevin Gleeson

Nov 28, 2009, 1:05:28 AM11/28/09

OK - I was going to type that but couldn't be arsed. Pedant.

He did a lot of work with radar during WWII as well. He weren't just a
writer, he got his hands dirty as well. Well inky, as in design-wise.

I keep thinking when are approaching 2010 that it was the second of
the 2001 series and while other technology has accelerated far beyond
what he or Asimov could imagine, space travel has not. It exploded so
quickly though the 60s that you can't blame them for expecting that
pace to continue, but we've been sitting on our arses for 3 decades
now. Bloatware=Spaceflight is my theory. KISS principle needs to come
into it.

I guess Rotan and the Virgin spaceflights are finally heading that
way, but we've even lost the technology to launch another Apollo
mission even though the main thrusters are based on the Apollo
technology. Or is it that OH&S won't let an astronaut go to the moon
because it is being controlled by a 8086 CPU and "it might be
dangerous"? Of course it's fucking dangerous you dickwit. So is
walking to the bus-stop.

Kevin Gleeson

Nov 28, 2009, 1:09:02 AM11/28/09

Oh and if anyone wants a good example of "a future" which is local,
get your heads into Bikerbetty's 'The Waterboy's Story'. If you don't,
I'll come around and rip your bloody arms off. And I will too.

Message has been deleted

Dr. Sir John Howard, AC, WSCMoF

Nov 28, 2009, 4:56:18 AM11/28/09
GWD wrote:
> They wrote for the market of the era, obviously.
> I remember recommending to my daughter that she ought to read
> "Rendezvous with Rama", raving about the lyrical writing, wonderful
> descriptions etc. She read it and reported that she found it sexist.
> This never entered my head, so I read it again. Yes it is sexist by
> today's standards, but I'm sure Clark didn't deliberately set out to
> make it that way.

Considering he's a pedo, no.

Dr. Sir John Howard, AC, WSCMoF

Nov 28, 2009, 4:59:21 AM11/28/09

Asisaid.

Message has been deleted

Kevin Gleeson

Nov 28, 2009, 5:27:07 PM11/28/09
On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 18:00:12 +1100, GWD <g...@nsw.chariot.net.au>
wrote:

>On Fri, 27 Nov 2009 22:28:56 +1100, Kevin Gleeson wrote:
>

>They wrote for the market of the era, obviously.
>I remember recommending to my daughter that she ought to read
>"Rendezvous with Rama", raving about the lyrical writing, wonderful
>descriptions etc. She read it and reported that she found it sexist.
>This never entered my head, so I read it again. Yes it is sexist by
>today's standards, but I'm sure Clark didn't deliberately set out to
>make it that way.

Oh for sure. It was just the times. I loved EE Smith's Lensman series
as a teenager but went to read them again when I was about 30 and
couldn't finish it . . .

Kevin Gleeson

Nov 28, 2009, 5:28:11 PM11/28/09

Did that ever get proved?

Moike

Nov 28, 2009, 5:34:05 PM11/28/09
Ome of my little fascinations is reading vintage "Science Fact" mags[1]
from the 50s and seeing all the things that didn't happen, and all the
things they didn't predict. Cars are still mostly as they were, (they
don't fly, or levitate). Space travel is still relatively uncommon. We
still mostly live in houses, sleep in beds, and eat food.

No one predicted ubiquitous communications, ubiquitous computing,or the
general abandonment of quality music reproduction in favour of low
quality music devices that are cheap, portable and convenient.[2]

Moike

[1] Popular Science, Sciecne and Mechanics, etc.
[2] I despair of trying to explain to young folk that sharing a pair of
ear-buds between two doesn't give the best musical experience.

Kevin Gleeson

Nov 28, 2009, 5:43:56 PM11/28/09
On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 09:34:05 +1100, Moike <bmwm...@gmail.com> wrote:
<SNIP>

>[2] I despair of trying to explain to young folk that sharing a pair of
>ear-buds between two doesn't give the best musical experience.

That is hilarous if it wasn't so sad. Mind you the track is probably
so compressed that the artifacting will destroy it before you worry
any stereo effects or quality of the earbuds.

I use a set of Sony in-ear monitors when I listen. You can hear the
music so much better than standard buds ad don't have to turn it up as
loud. I tried explaining this to someone one night and the couldn't
get wher I was coming from. I had the monitors in my backpack so got
them out and plugged them into her IPod. "Listen to that". "Oh wow".

OK, the monitors cost way more than an IPod, but I like my hearing
thank you very much. And anything on my IPod is at minimum 192k.

It is loading more messages.