EAT is dead

Darren Yates

Oct 12, 2001, 3:02:48 AM10/12/01
Hi all,

Thought you'd like to know that EAT is officially dead.
The current issue (issue 8) is the last.
The word is Federal Publishing decided some time around two weeks ago that
the magazine will cease production with the current issue.
Now while many of you will consider EA to have died a grizzly death some
time ago, this marks the final end of an era.
The original EA lasted 78 years and the new consumer glossy barely made it
passed six months.
There appears to be no plans to resurrect the old title so that's it.

Cheers,
Darren.

Don McKenzie

Oct 12, 2001, 3:41:52 AM10/12/01

======================================
Graham Cattley Editorial Dec/Jan 2001
Change. It is in our nature to resist it, but unfortunately it is part
of life. Every industry needs to change to be competitive, and this
includes the magazine industry.

big snip---

I hope you will like what we have in store for you with our next issue -
I'm excited about it, and I think you will be too. Here's to change.
======================================

and you guys didn't believe him. I'm excited!!!

1922-2001 RIP EA

Don McKenzie mailto:d...@dontronics.com http://www.dontronics.com

PICMicro C Compiler & PICC-18 C Compiler by Hi-Tech @ $100USD Off Retail
The World's Largest Range of Atmel/AVR & PICmicro Hardware and Software

Kendrick

Oct 12, 2001, 4:18:54 AM10/12/01
On Fri, 12 Oct 2001 07:41:52 GMT, Don McKenzie <d...@dontronics.com>
wrote:

>======================================
>Graham Cattley Editorial Dec/Jan 2001
>Change. It is in our nature to resist it, but unfortunately it is part
>of life. Every industry needs to change to be competitive, and this
>includes the magazine industry.
>
>big snip---
>
>I hope you will like what we have in store for you with our next issue -
>I'm excited about it, and I think you will be too. Here's to change.
>======================================
>
>and you guys didn't believe him. I'm excited!!!
>
>1922-2001 RIP EA

Now cattley's EAT is dead and he is probably unemployed, I'm sure that
he can find some comfort in the above words he spoke and not feel so
bad about the changes in his life IE: getting paid by Centrelink
instead of FPC.

Actually the way things are these days - He might even be financially
better off - specially if he has a family as well.

Artie

Oct 12, 2001, 4:57:20 AM10/12/01
Aaah, thanks Darren. It's nice to know you are still up with the "news". The
rest of this ng were told this two days ago.

"Darren Yates" <dya...@pnc.com.au> wrote in message

Eric

Oct 12, 2001, 4:31:03 PM10/12/01
Well, Well, I am totally confused and lost for thought, just why did EA go
down, while Silicon Chip is still going strong.

NO sorry, my mind is blank

--
From Eric

"Darren Yates" <dya...@pnc.com.au> wrote in message

bob parker

Oct 12, 2001, 7:09:43 PM10/12/01
"Eric" <e...@some.com> wrote:

>Well, Well, I am totally confused and lost for thought, just why did EA go
>down, while Silicon Chip is still going strong.

My thoughts are that it's along the lines of "The magazine which
respects its readers and gives them what they want will do OK".
:-)

Cheers,
Bob

Bob Parker- electronics technician, Sydney Australia
home page: http://www.ozemail.com.au/~bobpar

Phil Allison

Oct 13, 2001, 3:06:19 AM10/13/01

Eric <e...@some.com> wrote in message

> Well, Well, I am totally confused and lost for thought, just why did EA go
> down, while Silicon Chip is still going strong.

Silicon Chip has always been owned and run by former EA staff members
while EA (and EAT) was owned by a magazine publishing company with many
titles and all staff were employees.

In the case of EA, the Federal Publishing made the big decisions and
needed to show a profit above expenses and wages to justify the magazine's
existance.

Although these are not the only reasons they are major ones.

Regards, Phil

Kendrick

Oct 13, 2001, 8:01:45 AM10/13/01
On Sat, 13 Oct 2001 09:31:03 +1300, "Eric" <e...@some.com> wrote:

>Well, Well, I am totally confused and lost for thought, just why did EA go
>down, while Silicon Chip is still going strong.

well - most of the silicon in EA was in the breasts rather than the
projects..................

ed

Oct 13, 2001, 9:59:33 AM10/13/01
That has been the only good read for some time, sorry to see it go.

BIG ed

David L. Jones

Oct 13, 2001, 10:26:06 PM10/13/01
"ed" <bi...@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message news:<9NXx7.154694$bY5.7...@news-server.bigpond.net.au>...

> That has been the only good read for some time, sorry to see it go.

Moffat's Madhouse continues in the new Radio/Electronics mag
"RadioMag" I think it's called.

Dave :)

Bruce Varley

Oct 14, 2001, 12:26:07 AM10/14/01
For me, that's like losing a friend and mentor. EA taught me more
electronics, far more enjoyably, than all those hours in lecture rooms and
tutes.

The things we remember... when I first read this posting, this is what
popped into my mind. Some time around 1967 or so, the cover of one of the
issues was of an assembler at a local assembly works, a very attractive girl
in a purple overtunic. In the letters for the following issue, there was
something like this: Dear Mr Editor, I refer to the cover photo on your
previous issue, particularly the equipment in the purple cabinet. I trust
that you will see your way clear to present much more equipment of this type
in future." Farewell EA and sincerest best wishes to everyone who was
involved.