Commonwealth Bank

Greg Christie

Feb 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/28/97

Well the Commonwealth Bank has just introduced a web/browser
based online banking facility.

http://www.combank.com.au/NetBank/WhatsNew/default.htm

However a security check program has very specific OS
requirements (read Windows).

So much for a platform independent internet

Cheers

--
Greg Christie
greg.c...@sydney.maptek.com.au

Shaun

Feb 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/28/97

On Fri, 28 Feb 1997, Greg Christie wrote:

> Well the Commonwealth Bank has just introduced a web/browser
> based online banking facility.
>
> http://www.combank.com.au/NetBank/WhatsNew/default.htm
>
> However a security check program has very specific OS
> requirements (read Windows).

Something needs to be done about this Encryption problem.

The Advance Bank had Internet Banking long before the Commonwealth Bank.

On it's Advance FAQ it has this answer.

Are there versions for the Mac, PowerPC, OS/2 or Unix systems?

No, not yet. But we know there are a lot of non-Windows people out there,
particularly with Macs, so please stay tuned. We're mindful of the fact
that we've been providing Internet Banking services for Windows-based
customers since before Christmas 1995, so it's been a long wait for everyone else.

The issues are technical ones, not a policy decision on our part. The
cryptography software that we need for the Mac (and others)
simply hasn't yet been available for us (from the patent holder). We're
looking into our options.

elton

A great name for a new country song:
If I'd Shot You Sooner, I'd Be Out of Jail by Now.

****** ftp 10 ged chmod 700 root rwx chown chgrp perl cgi and www ********
$ Elton's Interactive --> http://www-mugc.cc.monash.edu.au/~sbdie1 $
| Australian Mac Page --> http://www-mugc.cc.monash.edu.au/~sbdie1/mac/ |
*** WEB CHAT http://www-mugc.cc.monash.edu.au/~sbdie1/chat/entry.cgi ****

Shane Delforce

Mar 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/7/97

Shaun <sbd...@mugca.cc.monash.edu.au> wrote:

I visited this site and couldn't resist letting them have my views on
their non-Mac friendlyness (they *DID* ask for them).

To their credit (pun intended), they did respond via email which I've
included for all to read.

I urge all MAC CBA customers to visit the site and leave their comments,
perhaps this will pressure them into providing this service to us all.
After all, they only need the desire to, I'm sure the cost isn't a
problem.

The reply is below, my comments are in {..};

Thank you very much for visiting the Commonwealth Bank's (ACN 123 123
124)
newest branch - the World Wide Web!

The Bank regrets any inconvenience to its Macintosh users and our aim is
extend the delivery of our Internet Banking service across all computer
platforms.

Our long term direction is towards a browser based Internet Banking
service
which will be platform independent and will operate on any computer.
However before this can happen the Bank must be fully satisfied that
security in browsers is sufficient to protect both the Bank and its
clients'
interests. The main impediment at present is US Government export
restrictions on strong encryption. We expect the restrictions to be
relaxed
during 1997 from which point the browser based solution will become
feasible.

In the meantime, in order to implement Internet Banking, we felt the
only
way to provide a secure product was with a custom built system.
Unfortunately this made it difficult { **But not impossible ?**}to
provide a service to both Windows
and Macintosh users.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if we can be of any further
assistance.

Yours sincerely

On-Line Services Group
Technology, Operations and Property
Commonwealth Bank of Australia
ACN 123 123 124
Telephone 61 2 9378 3136

Yours sincerely

Customer Service Centre
Commonwealth Bank of Australia
ACN 123 123 124

Telephone: 61 3 9675 3131
Facsimile: 61 3 9675 3144

Visit www.commbank.com.au

--
TTFN
Shane

Never Argue with idiots,
They drag you down to their level,
And beat you with experience!

Timothy W. Shire

Mar 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/9/97

I too went to their site and also left a message and was surprised to
receive two replies from them. In the first message they stated that 90%
of their customers were using Windows machines.

That just goes to show you how stupid their customers are.

Sincerely

Timothy W. Shire
| Faster Than Light Communications |
| Box 1776, Tisdale, Saskatchewan, Canada, S0E 1T0 |
| call toll free in Canada 1 888 368 7606 |
| voice 306 873 2004 fax 306 873 2155 |
| http://www.mbnet.mb.ca/ftl |

Greg Christie

Mar 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/10/97

Timothy W. Shire wrote:

> I too went to their site and also left a message and was surprised to
> receive two replies from them. In the first message they stated that 90%
> of their customers were using Windows machines.

I had this out with them over Quickline banking last year. This 90%
is based a) on an online survey b) A household survey limited to
North Sydney.

My reply was that the a) who goes out of their way to look for surveys
on bank web pages b) Of all the junk mail I get from the CBA, nobody
surveyed me (or in other words, how does one suburb represent the
whole nation).

Or more to the point. Why did they want to disregard a reasonable
percentage of their customers? There is a basic lack of
customer service here.

Cheers

Greg

Peter Lees

Mar 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/10/97

Greg Christie (greg.c...@sydney.maptek.com.au) once wrote:

> Or more to the point. Why did they want to disregard a reasonable
> percentage of their customers? There is a basic lack of
> customer service here.

hello? we're talking about the commonwealth bank, here, not some service
oriented organisation.

actually, i could change that to: we're talking about a _bank_ here,
not some service organisation.

i'm sure there are plenty of other organisation about who will be
friendlier to your money (like a credit union, perhaps....)

cheers

pe...@next.com.au "...Beneath this playful, boyish exterior,
pe...@yseda.com.au beats the heart of a sadistic maniac."
- Edmund Blackadder

Lou Mercuri

Mar 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/13/97

In article <FTL-ya076080000...@news.sk.sympatico.ca>,

F...@sk.sympatico.ca (Timothy W. Shire) wrote:

>I too went to their site and also left a message and was surprised to
>receive two replies from them. In the first message they stated that 90%
>of their customers were using Windows machines.

hmmm, I'm one of their customers and I've never been asked which operating
system I use. BTW, I use a Mac!

--
------------------------------
Mercuri Media

darwin

Mar 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/15/97

:
:>I too went to their site and also left a message and was surprised to
:>receive two replies from them. In the first message they stated that 90%
:>of their customers were using Windows machines.
:
:hmmm, I'm one of their customers and I've never been asked which operating
:system I use. BTW, I use a Mac!

:
Sounds like they are just using statistics - "90% of all people use PCs
therefore 90% of Commonwealth customers use PCs".
The question to ask is "just what services do you offer for a minority of
your customers?". I'm sure that 90% of their customers don't have a
million dollars!

David Head

Nathan Zamprogno

Mar 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/16/97

I have sent a message to the Commonwealth site also, saying "Boo, Hiss to
the Commonwealth" for only supporting Windows users. I got much the same
message as you did, but I seem to remember them saying that they were
thinking of introducing similar software for Mac users. All I can suggest
is every Mac user reading should take the time to chekc out the CBC site
and bring some Mac-User pressure to bear!

--
-Nathan Zamprogno, Sydney Australia
Macintosh/ Internet Consultant.

"I find your lack of faith... disturbing." -Darth Vader