Own Anecdotes?

oddSox

Jul 22, 2002, 4:13:03 AM7/22/02
Hi all,

I've been reading the posts here for a short while and haven't found much in
the way of personal anecdotes (probably been and gone). So I thought I'd add
one or two of my own and ask you for yours.

Very early '80's. Decided to learn to fly ultralights. A place in Nth
Victoria had a pseudo flying school. (There was no formally accepted or
decreed way of learning to fly ultralights back then.) My instructor had
shown me (in the two seater) what a stall is and how it works. Back to idle,
gently back on the stick, slowing down, then nose over, then recover. Except
I didn't pay too much attention to the "recover" part. Back on the ground,
he got another student into the two seater and suggested I do a few circuits
in the single seater.

While out there, I decided to do a stall. Seemed easy enough. Power back to
idle, gently back on the stick, slowing down then nosed over. Ok, now to
recover. Full throttle and hard back on the stick. Uhhh.. Ohh ..!!!... Sh*t.
Sky beneath my feet. Nose pointing straight upwards. 400ft off the deck.
Went up with blue jeans, I now seem to be wearing brown cords. Back off the
throttle and let the stick do what it wants. Wait for it... waiting...

Then over on one wing and eventually levellled out. Whew.... I could see the
guys on the ground below me all looking up. Do I come straight back in? No.
Gotta get my head together first, and not let myself scare myself out of the
experience. "Fall off the horse? Get back on it." I flew around for another
ten minutes and finally landed. My instructor told me "Any other ultralight
and I wouldn't be here to tell the story." Apparently the wings on this one
have a dihedral that's very "forgiving". Thank God.

Went on to enjoy many ultralight hours and soon after into light a/c.

Your turn...

oddSox

Jul 22, 2002, 4:46:42 AM7/22/02
Another,

Mid '80's. Just prior to going for the restricted license test. Needed to
get cross-wind rated before the test. My usual instructor wasn't available,
so I went out with the club's 18yo instructor. My usual instructor was
around my age (29 at the time). We did the cross-wind circuits from an
east-west runway at Moorabbin, heading straight out for the bay. Nice one! A
thunderstorm was coming across the bay to greet us. I'd take off, kick in
some rudder and aileron to fly straight, fly the circuit and straighten up a
couple of metres off the tarmac to land .. touch and go. I did about seven
or eight circuits.

With each circuit, the storm across the bay played more havoc. Updraught on
one wing, downdraught on the other. We were bouncing around like crazy, the
wind tipping us 60 degrees side to side (well, that's what I remember it
feeling like...). I was grinning from ear to ear and was disappointed that
we finally had to give it away to let the storm through. At one point, the
18yo instructor looked at my wild grin and asked "You're enjoying this?" I
remember answering that I loved it. He shook his head and ticked the sheet
on his clipboard, "Alright then, you've passed crosswinds." That's when I
knew that I just have to fly.

They talk about old-salts and their boats. I knew there was an equivalent
feeling for flyers.

Brash

Jul 22, 2002, 5:05:03 AM7/22/02
Flying IS28 Sailplanes out of Benalla in the late 70's. One summer there
was a small bushfire in a creek line not far from the airfield. I traded
some height for distance to get into the column of rising smoke. So far, so
good. I'm gaining height and able to fly up and down the length of the fire
front. Keeping an eye out all round due to the number of high performance
glass-ships (Hornets, Janus, Super Arrows) that have jumped on the
bandwagon. Next thing I know, I'm inside the skirt of a Cu that's formed on
top of the smoke column. Not being checked out for IFR I lower the nose to
get back where I belong....... but I'm still on the express elevator going
up! In the end I had to pop those barn-door brakes that come standard on
the IS28 and get clear of the cloud. Logged it in my book as my longest
flight for distance and duration (up to that time). That night I had to
hitch a ride back to Melbourne. They don't let 17-year-olds drive cars you
know. ;o)

--
"Only the dead have seen the end of war". Plato.
"Only the lamb chops have seen the end of slaughter". Brash.

oddSox

Jul 22, 2002, 5:20:33 AM7/22/02
Love sailplanes.
A mate took me up into a cloud at Benalla once.
There had to be half a dozen of us in there!
Freaked me out more than the spin-stall did. hehe..

"Brash" <acrobat...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Brash

Jul 22, 2002, 5:43:11 AM7/22/02
"oddSox" <left...@rightsock.com> wrote in message

> Love sailplanes.
> A mate took me up into a cloud at Benalla once.
> There had to be half a dozen of us in there!
> Freaked me out more than the spin-stall did. hehe..

Yeah, it's something you have to experience. The smell of the moisture/rain
contained in the cloud was what struck me. I did a stall-spin once. Was
kinda fun. But since I wasn't checked out for aerobatics I had to say it
was accidental. ;o)

Peter Creswick

Jul 22, 2002, 5:47:25 AM7/22/02
Accidental ?? Come on Brash, surely you could do better than that !
Our standard phrase was "..... practicing recovery from unusual attitudes .....
sir......."
We weren't able to "... get away with ..." cloud penetrations though .......
that got you in "DEEP" doo doo ....... as did going over 3,750 ft (on QFE at
camden).

Andrew Puddifer

Jul 22, 2002, 6:19:06 AM7/22/02
First solo nav to Orange...got there and the wind was about 20kts over
what was forecast. Flew upwind, had a look at th sock, no problems,
straight down the runway.
Flew a normal curcuit(except for doing about 130kts groundspeed
downwind in a Warrior), lined it up on a nice final, got to about 20ft
off the ground, flattening off into some sort of flare, and the wind
died, then came back at about a 45 degree angle to the runway.
No, only having about 25/30 hours, and only a few crosswind landings,
things got pretty interesting pretty quickly! How does that go..aileron
into wind, rudder to point nose...oh shit yeah..work in a flare
somewhere there..oopps too late!
I thought for sure I had punched the maingear through the wings, but
Pipers are pretty tough things! Sounded like someone whacking a 44
gallon drum with a huge mallet.
I don't know how the thing didn't groundloop, it should have with the
crab I landed with!
I should have done a go around, but was too green to think of it.
Hope none of my instructors are reading this!

Regards, Andrew.

Bushy

Jul 22, 2002, 8:51:00 AM7/22/02
I remember my crosswind training too! On one of the last touch and goes,
Archerfield tower asked us to drop back before turning base as they had a
twin coming in on the main runway. As the instructor watched me sit just
above stall with flaps out and a gusting headwind he cracked up with
laughter as the tower said "That's the first time I've ever seen a 150 go
backwards!"

Peter
;<)

Was almost as funny as getting a speeding ticket on the way to my first solo
at 6.15am on the St Patrick's Day Sunday morning! I didn't care once I'd
been up alone!!!!!

RT

Jul 22, 2002, 9:37:11 AM7/22/02

Andrew Puddifer wrote in message <3D3BDC1A...@ihug.com.au>...

> I should have done a go around, but was too green to think of it.
> Hope none of my instructors are reading this!

There are lots of 1-way strips about. You don't have the option of going
'round. That's what you were practising for.

oddSox

Jul 22, 2002, 10:03:07 AM7/22/02
hehe...
Yeah, I remember my first solo. When I touched down, the guys in the tower
congratulated me. Felt great, especially since I didn't know they were
allowed to make non-operational comments.

"Bushy" <ple...@reply.to.group> wrote in message

elZee

Jul 22, 2002, 10:15:24 AM7/22/02
> Hi all,
<SNIP>

> Went on to enjoy many ultralight hours and soon after into light a/c.
<SNIP>
> Your turn...

oddsox,

Talking of storms reminds me of the afternoon at the Adelaide Soaring Club
when my mentor instructor got caught up in an advancing storm front.

As we were hurriedly squeezing gliders back into the hanger we looked up to
see the K-13 popping out of the low scuddy cloud doing a short steep final
towards the hanger!

He flew that glider diagonally across the strip to a perfect 'cross-country'
landing and stopped just short of the hanger .. beautiful to watch. The two
pilots, Gordon the instructor and a wide eyed pupil remained in the ship as
we wheeled it into the safety of the hanger and away from those now gale
force winds coursing across the Gawler strip! Sensational bit of flying ..
He was a great pilot and I miss him!!

Cheers,

elZee

oddSox

Jul 22, 2002, 10:19:11 AM7/22/02
The license test!

When I went for my license test (in '86 I think), the CFI wasn't available,
so I flew with his 2IC. He was also the club's aeronautical instructor. We
didn't fly from the duty runway. Our runway was much shorter. He of course
tested me for one different landing configuration and around again for the
next configuration, and the next. And he was concerned not to be disruptive
to the regular traffic. We were flying at Moorabbin after all. Half a second
after each touchdown he'd say "taking over" and grab the yoke. The poor
little Warrior would be rolled onto about a 75 degree bank and a hard climb.
The blood rushed to my feet, but I hardly noticed what must have been a 3G
climbout. I was just amazed that it wasn't considered improper flying, so
close to the strip. Anyway, I passed and he was confident of my abilities (I
was told back then that they didn't have to be 100 percent confident to give
you your license).

Soxy

Coop

Jul 22, 2002, 10:53:01 AM7/22/02

Flying gliders at Waikerie in the 70's. Had done some basic aerobatics in the
venerable Blanik. New machine on the block- affectionately known as the "Tin
Balloon"- the Pilatus was cleared for aerobatics. Nothing else available, so
thought I'd take this new bird for a spin (young and cocky, then). Asked the
instructor breifing me what the deal was with aerobatics, entry speeds, etc.
"Just treat it like the Blanik" was his casual reply. Seemed fair, and it was
too far to walk up to the clubhouse to get the manual.

Got to 5,000' and thought I'd have a play. Loops were fine, spins OK (recovery
a tad slower, I thought), chandelles were easy, lets try a stall turn. Get the
machine pointed skywards and as it slows feed in the rudder.......

What the instructor hadn't told me was that the rudder on the Pilatus was
nowhere near as effective for this maneouver as it was on the Blanik. We came
to a halt still seeing nothing but blue sky and puffy clouds out the front.
Oh..........shit!

Adrenaline apparently speeds up your thinking. It must do, because somewhere in
the dark recesses of my now fearfully qivering brain box came a recollection of
advice as to what to do if it all goes deathly quiet and you are still pointing
up. "Pull everything into one corner and wait to see where it goes next......."

There was an ominous hisssssing noise as the machine slid backwards and
sideways. The sky rotated slightly, followed by a loud clanking noise as the
wings "oil-canned" when the nose pitched violently forwards way past the
vertical throwing all the dust, grass seeds, Mintie wrappers, and other floor
rubbish onto the canopy. Peering through the brown dust haze, I was able to get
out of the ensuing dive without exceeding the VNE, but it was close.

Discovered later that the Pilatus is cleared for tailslides. Haven't done one
since.........

Coop

RT

Jul 22, 2002, 11:48:07 AM7/22/02

Coop wrote in message <3D3C1C4A...@ozemail.com.au>...

>Discovered later that the Pilatus is cleared for tailslides. Haven't done
one
>since.........

With you there !

oddSox

Jul 23, 2002, 4:59:43 AM7/23/02
Same ultralight club, a few weeks later.

We always arrived just after dawn, before the winds gathered speed. Once it
got too much above 10 knots, no more take-offs were allowed.

I'd already been up and now it was my mate's turn. Only a minute or two into
the air and the wind quickly picked up from a couple of knots to a steady 25
or 35 knots. We knew it was coming, just not that quickly.

He did a circuit and then flew directly over the top of us at about 250 to
300ft. He then eased back on the throttle and sat directly over top of us,
going backwards if he was moving at all. I'll never forget seeing him
sitting there with that cheeky grin beneath the goggles.

The instructor pointed him to another paddock. He flew over to it and mad a
slow vertical descent, eventually picking up some forward movement as the
ground affect slowed the prevailing wind across his wings. Three of us
grabbed the aircraft as he came down. I could just see it ending up in a cow
pat.

Bernie Samms

Jul 23, 2002, 7:26:42 AM7/23/02
Oh dear, I think you've started something here!

--
Bernie Samms
Kingston Beach Tasmania

Aero Club of Southern Tasmania www.acst.com.au
Prologic Pty Ltd www.prologic.com.au

Out Mail has been checked by Norton Anti Virus but no absolute guarantee is
made that mail or attachment(s) are virus free.

oddSox

Jul 23, 2002, 11:54:53 AM7/23/02
I hope so..... ;-)

"Bernie Samms" <ber...@netspace.net.au> wrote in message

Brian Garrett

Jul 23, 2002, 10:46:50 PM7/23/02

Well, I might as well join in.

Instructing in C150's at a country strip in Victoria early 70's. Strip was well
away from any town and when conducting night training the surrounding sky would
be as black as hell.
We marked the strip with hurricane lamps (it was a while ago OK!) and one night
with a student we had done about six circuits when on down wind I looked across
at the strip lights and noted the far end lights dissapear, As I watched the
lamps failed progressively along the strip.
I took over and rolled the 150 down at the remaining lights, applied full flap
as I went, and rolled onto the runway with the last two lamps dissapearing only
to be met with the cause of the problem. A cold front came through with rain and
wind change and the rain was breaking the glass in the hot hurricane lamps and
the wind was blowing out the flame.
To say life was interesting as I tried the stop the 150 and keep it on the strip
would be an understatement.
We had no idea the front was so close as the night sky was pitch black. Those
Vic cold fronts can be real sneaky

BG

oddSox

Jul 24, 2002, 4:42:48 AM7/24/02
Heh...
I'll bet you were glad you turned to the runway before the last lamp went
out.
;-)

"Brian Garrett" <br...@esands.com> wrote in message

Bevan Anderson

Jul 24, 2002, 6:35:16 PM7/24/02

> hehe...
> Yeah, I remember my first solo. When I touched down, the guys in the tower
> congratulated me. Felt great, especially since I didn't know they were
> allowed to make non-operational comments.

On my fisrt solo, I got lost after taxiing off the runway. This was at
Moorabbin, and I'd solo'ed on a runway I had only used rarely. After turning
off the runway I asked the person sitting next to me where to go.. but found
noone there. Ooops!

oddSox

Jul 24, 2002, 8:44:31 PM7/24/02
hehe... rofl.
"Now where did I put that inflatable co-pilot?"

Did your instructor ever organise a visit to the tower at Moorabbin for you.
I was with RVAC and they organised a visit for me. I found it facinating.
Unfortunately during the half hour I was there, there were no "interesting"
events. hehe...

Anybody got some interesting tower stories?

Soxy

"Bevan Anderson" <bevan+...@edion.com> wrote in message

Gord Beaman

Jul 24, 2002, 11:06:29 PM7/24/02
"oddSox" <left...@rightsock.com> wrote:

>hehe... rofl.
>"Now where did I put that inflatable co-pilot?"
>
>Did your instructor ever organise a visit to the tower at Moorabbin for you.
>I was with RVAC and they organised a visit for me. I found it facinating.
>Unfortunately during the half hour I was there, there were no "interesting"
>events. hehe...
>
>Anybody got some interesting tower stories?
>
>Soxy

How about the thoroughly nervous student doing his first solo and
after doing something very stupid got himself so rattled that
the tower operator asked for the pilot's name. He replied shakily
and almost desperately "There's no pilot, I'm up here alone".
:)
--

Gord Beaman
PEI, Canada

ChrisR

Jul 25, 2002, 12:10:36 AM7/25/02

"oddSox" <left...@rightsock.com> wrote in message
> hehe...
> Yeah, I remember my first solo. When I touched down, the guys in the tower
> congratulated me. Felt great, especially since I didn't know they were
> allowed to make non-operational comments.
<snip>

Despite some public opinion to the contrary, the guys in the tower (and
centre) are actually human, and generally share a love of aviation. First
solos are something special!

Cheers,
Chris

oddSox

Jul 25, 2002, 1:56:21 AM7/25/02
hehehehh...
Poor kid. ;-)

"Gord Beaman" <ve...@rac.ca> wrote in message

Brian Garrett

Jul 25, 2002, 2:43:28 AM7/25/02
Even today I still think about what I would have done if I lost the last light.
I would have had to head North East as the front was coming from the South West
and the NE was into the mountain areas. Outrunning a cold font in a C150 was
also not my idea of fun.

Brian Garrett

Jul 25, 2002, 3:08:28 AM7/25/02
Sitting in the nice new clubrooms at RVAC in the 60's enjoying a beer with a few
other young bold pilots offering critique of each of the landings taking place
on the field. Student lands a PA28 and subsequently wheelbarrows down the runway
before it ground loops with the usual tin can sound effect.
Silence in the clubrooms as there is no movement from the occupant of the well
bent Cherokee. A good minute goes by and no fire engine. Glasses go down and
half a dozen pilots bolt the fence and run out to the aircraft. They extricate
the pilot who was ok-frozen with fear- probably from what his CFI would say, and
they all stand around the aircraft chatting. All of a sudden a dinging sound
came from the fire station and out came the fire truck looking all serious and
efficient. You could hear the cheering and guffawing for miles around. That poor
fire crew. I bet that cost them a few beers

Peter Creswick

Jul 25, 2002, 4:54:26 AM7/25/02
I suppose it is so long ago now, that I can own up to what is probably a unique
incident, which, reasons that will become obvious, I never before put in the
public domain.. I have however often wondered what would have been the result
of the investigation had I gone in when the controls jammed, since the cause of
said jamming would have been long gone by the time anyone would have got to the
remains. So, her goes.

26th January 1978 Leeton NSW.

The met report had been for hot post weak trough conditions, with possible
isolated late afternoon thunderstorms.

After completing a daily check flight in the Blanik around 9am, I drove back
into Leeton to get "the bottle" filled up. The bottle was an insulated 4 litre
cordial container, with a large 3 inch diameter "pop top" lid, that had been
modified with a hole drilled in the lid for a plastic drinking tube and a net
arrangement attached so that it could be secured by octopus straps in either the
rear seat of a two seater, or on the battery tray mount in front of the wing
spar behind the pilot's head on the single seat Pilatus B-4. Since it was
forecast as a stinking hot day, I had decided to leave the filling of this
device with ice and pure orange juice to as late in the day as possible. On
arrival at the shop that had the ice machine, the woman proprietor informed me
that the ice was available, but she had sold out of pure orange juice. Whilst
considering an alternative fluid, the VERY helpful (read forceful) woman
informed me (since she knew it was for a long flight) that the best thing was to
load it up with the high energy children's drink, ribena. This stuff is
supposed to be good for you, it comes in various flavors and colors, and the one
she chose was red in color, strawberry I think. Against my objection, she fills
it up anyway. Oh well. You are a city slicker in a small country town. It
does not pay to argue with the locals, especially one as old and as vocal as
this woman !

Upon completing the filling of the bottle, I returned to the field around noon,
since that was when thermal activity was predicted to commence. So, since I was
on a 5 hour attempt, I took the first A/T 2,000 launch, encountered nothing
but sink, and was back on the ground in 18 minutes. The others didn't think
that was too good, so they waited about a half hour, then launched. They slowly
got away, but due the "iffy" thermal reports on the radio from these more
experience pilots who were very gingerly making their way out on cross country
tasks, I decided to wait until, about 1:30pm, at which time, the camp
instructor, (a venerable old man of the "old school" by the name of Bert
Johnson) tells me I better go now anyway, or I will run out of day. So, load up
the barograph, do all the paperwork with his wife Norma (who lived in the Pie
Cart, and was virtually field mother to everyone, a lovely lady) and off we go,
into the "dead" blue yonder (nee .... famous last words).

Flight #104
Blanik L-13 VH-GVB Launch 1:30pm, A/t 2,000.
Flight objective:- Silver C - 5 hours duration and height gain (1,000 m / 3281
ft).
Result, Silver C height gain obtained (with max height of 7,400 ft), but
duration failed at only 3hrs 35 minutes.

Details of the flight.

The flight commenced with a smooth, routine, by the book, A/T behind the Piper
Super Cub to 2,000, and for the most part, was conducted normally. The thermals
were small, weak and broken, as expected from radio reports. I was not out
landing certified yet (out landing check a few days before had been failed due
missing an item on the memory item field selection check list (whilst under
pressure at low level when he forced me to pick another one, by declaring the
selected field (which was good) unsuitable) no excuse I know, but, he could be a
task master), so, under the rules, I had to stay within gliding distance of the
field, ie, local flying only allowed. The rule was (for the Blanik) you could
only go 4 miles per thousand above 1,500 feet (allowing 1000 feet for normal
circuit entry and a 500 foot buffer), so, if you got to 5,000 say, you could go
out as far as 5-1.5=3.5 times 4=14 miles, not far, but far enough to have to
keep checking where the field was.

For the first three hours or so it was hard going just to stay up, and in the
process gently drifted NE downwind only a few miles. The wind was light /
variable from SW. Height varied from a max of around 3,000 (cloud base) down to
about 1,200 beating back upwind to the field, so I didn't go far. So far so
good. All heights AGL on QFE as we did not operate QNH back then. There were
quite a few Cu's, but with an obvious inversion above, they weren't very tall.
The cockpit temperature was high with the sun for the most part beaming in, so
eventually I grabbed the plastic tube to drink some juice. After sucking it up
to the point where I could drink it, I discovered it tasted yucky, and I didn't
really want to drink it. But it was hot, I was only wearing a cap, sunnies,
T-shirt and shorts and sand shoes, and I was sweating like a pig, so I forced
myself to drink some, but not much. Feeling hot, sweaty and parched, we
continue on, the hours drag by.

Eventually however, some vertical development was evident as a few Cu's broke
through the inversion. I circled under the upwind edge of one likely looking
cloud, and soon discovered that the edge was working well, moreover, it was
possible to climb just in front of the cloud, so up the face we go, slowly, only
about 150fpm at first. Having never done this before, I was having a good
time. I did a 180 and ran back across the face of the cloud. Repeat 180 a few
times, eventually working my way up to 7,000 over a period of probably about 15
minutes, having a ball, with lift most of the way now around 4 to 5 hundred
fpm. This is more like it !! Knowing that I had killed silver height, and
thinking I might even get gold height, I press on !.

Flying along the face of the cloud with the wing tip pod just in the cloud, and
occasionally looking out front to the horizon, somehow, the fact that the cloud
now seemed to go up forever, did not compute in the brain. One does run the
risk of loosing situational awareness when excited you know.

The next thing I know, there is another cloud right next to me on the other
side, it seemed to come out of nowhere ! On looking around, horror of horrors,
it seemed to close in behind and join the one I was on ! Ahead did not look
much better ! With alarm now rising rapidly I did one 360 to check and was
presented with the sight of 3 large clouds that seemed to surround me, and
seemed to be closing in. Get away from here thinks I ! I set course for the
biggest hole with a horizon still visible, and push the poor Blanik up to 78
knots (max rough). But the clouds close in to the sides, and below, with
frightening speed, but there is still clear air ahead. Keep going ! But, alas,
too late, the cloud closes in front of me like a giant white hangar door. Oh
SHIT ! What to do. After a few seconds thought, I decided to keep going (no
other option came to mind), I would punch out the side shortly, surely, all you
have to do is keep the yaw string straight with the pedals, don't move the
stick, all will be OK. Into the whiteout, an eternity passes, actually,
probably about 40 seconds and all was NOT OK. (failed the FAA's 178 seconds
(didn't know about that then !))

The first thing that happened was the compass card started to move from NW
trough N. This was worrying, since it didn't work well usually, it was "sticky"
so why was it moving now ? Simultaneously the yaw string went to the left and
the speed decayed and was passing 50 knots. (I had not trimmed for 78, the green
trim lever was still in the 50 knot position). What was happening ? Don't
know. Wait. Shortly thereafter, the WAC40 computer (a circular slide rule
about 6 inches in diameter with a map section, height curves, and a movable
cursor on one side, and head wind / tailwind / lift and sink tables on the
other) decides to do a graceful exit from the pocket on the starboard cockpit
wall, rolls up to the top of the canopy, spins a couple of times, and proceeds
down the left side of the canopy, and jams in the flap track just behind the
pink handle. At this time everything goes quiet, and airspeed is now passing 30
knots - decreasing. One feels weightless, attitude .... unknown. Grab the
WAC40, pull the air-brakes, stuff WAC40 under straps across chest, center
controls - wait. Check speed - now back to 20 and jumping about, then a hell of
a jolt / surge. Vario goes nuts, swings both ways, alt 7,400 (INDELIBLE MENTAL
IMAGE), then violent roll left and apparent pitch down, high turn rate
sensations. Oh shit ! Suddenly, everything, every single particle of dust and
all the grass seeds are suddenly suspended in front of me, a dust cloud envelops
me inside the canopy. Assume spinning. OK, no problem, check altimeter,
passing 6,600, OK, remain calm, brakes are full, controls centered, hold them,
wait.

Thinking we are now spinning in cloud, with brakes out, there is nothing more
you can do. Think, cloud base was 3,000, OK, 3,600 to go, a long spin, pop out,
recover, no problem. Remain calm. Descent continues, but very soon it gets
very dark, the light seems to be changing to a murky grey-greenish color.
Confusion. Then it gets darker, and suddenly very turbulent. The buffeting is
frightening, but the ASI is still swinging around 20 to 30 knots, (standard in a
Blanik in a spin) and the altimeter is unwinding, finally getting to 5,000, then
eventually 4,000. OK, only 1,000 to go, ready to recover.

Buffeting gets worse. Real scary now, metal rattle noises and hard to keep the
stick in the center and lock knees to prevent the pedals pumping. 3,000 comes
and goes, and suddenly it's raining, inside,....... inside !!!!! is it ?
Shit, it's red ! Confusion, terror begins to enter the picture. 2,600 and
suddenly blinding light. We are out !! There is the ground up there, UP THERE
!! we are nearly inverted and left wing down, rotating slowly left. There is
....... what is it ..... blood ????? everywhere. Nose drops through, speed
suddenly rises passes 50 knots, slight rotation left, boot right, stick forward,
70 knots, check rotation, 85 knots, gently back recover, 90 knots, through the
bottom, zoom a bit, 70 knots, push over, 50 knots, level.

Phew. Piece of cake ace ! Height 1,900 .... shit, where is the field ? Red
fluid is dripping off the canopy, it is everywhere. What is it ? Am I
bleeding ? A searing pain in my left testicle !! God, what has happened
??????. Look down, and there it is, an ice cube jammed in my crotch. Grab it
! Look out, straighten up. Crunch feel in stick, it jams. Now what ????
Jiggle stick a bit. Hardly moves, crunching sounds. Oh hell. Look down, ice
cubes everywhere on floor, including some visible in stick mixer box under floor
(leather boot was worn and split, mostly not there). Christ !! Wiggle stick
some more. No go. Reach down into hole try to retrieve cubes, no go. Shit,
pen, find the fucking pen !! Not in pocket, gone.... Oh hell, jiggle stick
again. Not much movement, some. Level wings precisely, OK. Now 1,600 feet.
Where is Leeton ? Can't see it. Where are you ? Who cares !!. What to do
?? Wiggle stick gently. MELT you bastards ....... MELT !!!!!!!!!

After a few minutes, figure out what the fluid is, well it was yucky anyway, and
the controls free up. I bumped into a thermal, so turned and gently climb.
Second time around, search for field. Find it only about six or seven miles
away, but I am too low, shit, got to climb. A few minutes and back to cloud
base and feeling better. Head back towards field. Time, only about 3 hour 20
min, shit, need another 1 our forty. All is well, ice has all melted now. Safe
! Crackle on radio .... firm, terse voice .... "Golf Victor Bravo - I want a
word with you on landing...... at your earliest convenience ..... thank you."

I returned, landed, and was chewed out something terrible, haven't forgotten
that either.

oddSox

Jul 25, 2002, 5:49:21 AM7/25/02
A facinating read.....! Thanks.
This one belongs in "Flight Safety Australia" magazine.

"Peter Creswick" <vent...@ihug.com.au> wrote in message

oddSox

Jul 25, 2002, 7:18:53 AM7/25/02
Hi Brian,
Just how old is the bar at RVAC?
Went to a few functions there in my time..

"Brian Garrett" <br...@esands.com> wrote in message

Coop

Jul 25, 2002, 8:55:46 AM7/25/02
Taxiing at Parafield when some parrots taking advantage of the newly sown seed
got frightened by another aircraft, and all flew up in a large flock, landing
on the aerials and assorted structures about the tower. Some one couldn't
resist, and over the ground frequency came.....
"Jeez, will you get a load of the Galahs in the tower....!"

Coop

Jul 25, 2002, 9:08:28 AM7/25/02
What a rip-snorter!! Far too unlikley to be made-up!! Truth is always stranger than
fiction, what?

Coop

RT

Jul 26, 2002, 7:26:32 AM7/26/02

>Peter Creswick wrote:
A searing pain in my left testicle !! God, what has happened
>> ??????. Look down, and there it is, an ice cube jammed in my crotch

Heh. This is a family newsgroup - and not for kinky habits.
A good reason to avoid kid's drinks.

Have no penchant for permanently underpowered stuff, but the Blanik is THE
best made airframe I've ever worked on - bloody beautiful.

Now if they just made one with a 200 hp donc up front...

Stealth Pilot

Jul 26, 2002, 8:15:59 AM7/26/02
On Fri, 26 Jul 2002 21:26:32 +1000, "RT" <r.th...@cqu.edu.au> wrote:

>>Peter Creswick wrote:
>A searing pain in my left testicle !! God, what has happened
>>> ??????. Look down, and there it is, an ice cube jammed in my crotch
>
>Heh. This is a family newsgroup - and not for kinky habits.
>A good reason to avoid kid's drinks.
>
>Have no penchant for permanently underpowered stuff, but the Blanik is THE
>best made airframe I've ever worked on - bloody beautiful.

y'know how kids have no appreciation for the older things in life.
like us. :-)

kids who learn to fly seem to be different.
was with a group once who had the choice of an old blanic which looked
a little beaten up and had not the freshest canopy, and a brand
spanking new puchateck which had T tail and looked a million bucks.

you know that every single one of the kids preferred the beat up
blanic because of it's flying qualities.

I was truely amazed at that.
there is hope for the younger generation yet.
Stealth Pilot

Peter Creswick

Jul 26, 2002, 8:50:08 AM7/26/02
Dead right stealth. The flight above was on the second last day of the Leeton
camp. On the following day I had 2 flights, one in the L-13 and one in the
B-4. I did not fly again until 15 Dec 93 (reasons classified) when I had a
few flights in a new Grob-103 and just could not get used to the dam thing.
Frankly, I formed the impression that a relatively high performance glass
trainer is a bad idea. The biggest problem was circuit planning on a blanik
brain in that thing, kept ending up too close and too high. Always seemed to
end up with full brake just to see the aim point, no matter what I did. When
forced out wider it "looked wrong" and got me very nervous. As for "feel", the
103 has none, very point an shoot, you can't feel what it is doing. I did not
like flying it at all. How they teach abinitio in those things is a mystery.

Stealth Pilot

Jul 27, 2002, 9:24:01 AM7/27/02

yeah. much to the eternal damnation by the kids the admin noddies
flogged off the blanic's and the auster towplane.
the kids made rude comments and shook their heads at this.

Coop

Jul 27, 2002, 9:06:42 AM7/27/02

RT wrote:

> >Peter Creswick wrote:
> A searing pain in my left testicle !! God, what has happened
> >> ??????. Look down, and there it is, an ice cube jammed in my crotch
>
> Heh. This is a family newsgroup - and not for kinky habits.
> A good reason to avoid kid's drinks.
>
> Have no penchant for permanently underpowered stuff, but the Blanik is THE
> best made airframe I've ever worked on - bloody beautiful.

Just curious- from a technical point of view, why do you say that? What makes
them beautiful from that point of view?

Coop

Coop

Jul 27, 2002, 9:13:28 AM7/27/02

Peter Creswick wrote:

Peter,
Have flown another brand of glass two-seater in the last couple years or so, and
it was much improved. Light feel on the controls, which were well harmonised, came
down like a brick shithouse when the brakes came out, stalled nicely, and would
drop a wing if you had the rudder over a little, was told it would spin in a
stable way provided you held the stick back (didn't try this myself), and
surprise, surprise, it would side-slip quite nicely in spite of its slippery
design. Came away much impressed. Can't remember what it was called, tho....
(Something German, I think). I agree- the old Grobs were horrible- I referred to
them as "white whales" because that's how they handled... BUt this machine was a
fair replacement for the Blanik, in a world of glass gliders, even if it didn't
smell right.

Coop

Coop

Jul 27, 2002, 9:23:30 AM7/27/02
Names changed to protect the guilty......

Newly solo glider pilot needed a check ride. Hot- Shot pilot with instructor quals
leaps into back seat and quickly straps in as newbie has been ready for awhile.
Take up slack...let her rip... up and away. HS relaxes in back seat and gazes
around at scenery as newbie is doing well and day is calm. After release, newbie
starts thermalling, but hasn't quite got it centred, so HS decides to give him a
demo of how it is done.
"Taking over" he says, reaching for his stick and grabbing.....thin
air........!!!!?
Looks down and grows cold, realises in his haste hasn't bothered to check, and the
rear stick had been removed for the previous flight. "Er.. on second thoughts, you
take it" he says, hoping the newbie won't notice the slight strain in his voice.
Looks around cockpit, finds two pens and a pencil in side pockets, figures he
could jam them into the hole where the stick attaches if needed, pokes them in
just in case, newbie does reasonable circuit and lands nicely, thankfully.......

Confessed this to me in the bar a year or so after it happened. Confirmed by his
best mate who saw him get out of the cockpit and noticed the stick wasn't there,
but discretely said nothing as the look on HS's face said all that was
needed.......

Coop

RT

Jul 27, 2002, 10:08:11 AM7/27/02

Coop wrote in message <3D429AE1...@ozemail.com.au>...

Well, I've worked on most of the usual light a/c stuff, but the Blanik was
just so well made - anodised skins, all flush rivets - it was a real delight
to fiddle with. It was also some sort of a challenge to make sure the
repairs (it was slightly busted around its bum and landing gear) blended in
unnoticeably with the original construction. We took an extra amount of
care with that repair and delighted in doing so. I s'pose it was a bit
like working on a Rolls Royce when you usually worked on Holdens - read
Pommy stuff & Pipers/Cessnas/Beech/Victas/Meta Sokol/CropCair etc. A real
touch of class, in my opinion. Pity they don't have an engine.

Peter Creswick

Jul 27, 2002, 10:48:42 AM7/27/02
Hi Coop,

Interesting. None the less, I don't like the idea of training on high performance
ships as a matter of principle. It is a bit like giving a learner a sports car or a
Kwacka 900. The issue is not just skill, it is judgment that has to be learnt.
Considering the reported number of undershoot and out landing accidents in recent
years, I wonder if there is any correlation with the trainers that those unfortunate
enough to suffer such events trained on.

PC

Stealth Pilot

Jul 27, 2002, 12:37:14 PM7/27/02

anodising isnt what it may seem. the phlogiston spars on the RV6 are
anodised and have half the fatigue life of unanodised spars.

blanic's do have an engine. step outside and you are standing on it.
:-)
Stealth Pilot

oddSox

Jul 28, 2002, 6:34:11 AM7/28/02
Which shift? hehe... If I recall (so I heard some years ago, anyway), some
shifts there were "by-the-book" while others weren't worried by a small
amount of levity. <g>

Soxy

"Coop" <aust...@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message

RT

Jul 28, 2002, 9:44:29 AM7/28/02

Stealth Pilot wrote in message <3d42cbda...@news.m.iinet.net.au>...
:

>anodising isnt what it may seem. the phlogiston spars on the RV6 are
>anodised and have half the fatigue life of unanodised spars.

Gettagrip, Stealth - and cut down on the winery visits, eh? Next we know
you'll be rabbiting on about filling the tank on your Breakwind with 80
octane caloric.

>blanic's do have an engine. step outside and you are standing on it.
>:-)

Hmm - IMO bitumen or half dead grass doesn't compare with a nice 4/6/8 cyl
donc.

Coop

Jul 28, 2002, 10:20:57 AM7/28/02

Peter Creswick wrote:

I take your point. The difference between "Phew!.....made it" and "Eek, .....not
quite...<crunch>" is getting to be almost imperceptible. I remember doing a marginal
final glide in the Kestrel one day- at best glide I came over the fence with about 100'
to spare, (I've seen others with less) and the last five miles of that was quite nerve
wracking. And that was12 years ago with a best glide of 1:44. God knows what it's like
to line up a marginal glide when the angle is nealry 1:60......
On the other hand, it could be argued that training in these machines sharpens your
judgement. I don't know- I'm out of it these days....

Coop

Coop

Jul 28, 2002, 10:26:55 AM7/28/02

RT wrote:

OK. Now I understand. Skin was nice to run your hands over- that sort of thing.
I wondered, because I've spent some time down inside the rear fuse holding the
dolly while rivet repairs were made (I'm built like a rake handle, you see...)
and i have to say that it wasn't the most pleasant experience I've ever had.
Especially during summer. But I guess that's why you have apprentices......

Coop

Coop

Jul 28, 2002, 10:29:05 AM7/28/02

RT wrote:

But you have to admit, the bitumen/dead grass power supply is a lot quieter.
That's why glider pilots don't panic so quickly when things go quiet- they're
used to it.....

Coop

Peter Creswick

Jul 29, 2002, 12:32:33 AM7/29/02
to aust...@ozemail.com.au

RT

Jul 29, 2002, 5:36:32 AM7/29/02

Coop wrote in message <3D43FFB0...@ozemail.com.au>...

Mmm - maybe... I've always thought bitumen/dead grass was severely
underpowered - or the earth's curvature is insufficient...

Stealth Pilot

Jul 30, 2002, 5:48:41 AM7/30/02
On Sun, 28 Jul 2002 23:44:29 +1000, "RT" <r.th...@cqu.edu.au> wrote:

>Stealth Pilot wrote in message <3d42cbda...@news.m.iinet.net.au>...
>:
>>anodising isnt what it may seem. the phlogiston spars on the RV6 are
>>anodised and have half the fatigue life of unanodised spars.
>
>Gettagrip, Stealth - and cut down on the winery visits, eh? Next we know
>you'll be rabbiting on about filling the tank on your Breakwind with 80
>octane caloric.

phlogiston is a brand name :-)

gawd you're a target when you are tired. :-)
Stealth Pilot

RT

Jul 30, 2002, 7:39:47 AM7/30/02

Stealth Pilot wrote in message <3d46609f...@news.m.iinet.net.au>...

I'm always tired :-) Now look up phlogiston and caloric ;-)

Peter Creswick

Jul 31, 2002, 8:17:31 AM7/31/02
Seems like this thread has run it's course. So, a half personal incident, but
in reality, another person's incident.

Leeton, I was on the ground, on pie cart duty that day. Mid afternoon, about 3
pm, all alone, as everything was up, and nothing was due back from x/c and a 5
hour flight for about another hour, so the instructor and tug pilot had long
since gone into town for a couple of hours.

There was a guy flying the B-4 on a 5 hour. He had been up a few hours, and it
was a stinking hot day. I am sitting in the Pie cart, bored shitless, reading
the local paper, all about irrigation, crops, harvest yields, and other mind
numbing stuff (for a city person).

Suddenly, out of the corner of my eye, I saw the B-4 join circuit. Early
thought I, so had a look at the clock, then turned around to find the clipboard
and the pen, ready to log the landing. Having rearranged a few things, I found
the pen, and looked out again to see him on base.

OK, soon, thought I. I wonder why he is returning, conditions are good. Looked
at the clock again, but had a strange "sixth sense" that something was wrong. I
got nervous, and looked again.

He was now turning final, and a bit high, and suddenly it hit me ....... "NO
WHEEL !!!"

Go to grab the radio mike - and realise it is not there (it had gone U/S earlier
in the day and had been taken into town for someone to look at).

All alone in the pie cart, what to do ? The piper super cub is parked 50 yards
away. Too far to get to it's radio in time. Shit !!

Bolt out of pie cart and run to the strip (only 20 metres or so) thinking "what
to do ?".

He is over the fence now, high, brakes look full. Having flown that B-4
myself, I knew the buzzer should be blowing his ears off. Why hasn't he put the
gear down ? Think, that doesn't matter now, what can you do - so I decide to
run almost to the middle of the strip - frantically rotating both hands and arms
in a circular motion in front of me - hoping - and wait for the crunch.

He saw me, (he said later - I startled him - he thought he might hit me - though
that was never an issue) and at about 10 feet, he slammed the air brakes closed
(so forcefully that I heard the "bang") and he ballooned a bit - to about 20
feet, as he passed me (wing tip 20 feet up, and about 20 feet lateral).

For a few seconds time seemed to stand still,....... then "bang" he slams the
gear down so hard I nearly felt it. Touchdown, no brakes, about a hundred yards
down the strip. Seems to stop normally. No drama.

I run down there, dam nearly buggered in the heat by the time I get there.
Canopy is still closed. Arrive at canopy, and he opens it just as I do so. He
looked like underwear, but then you would wouldn't you !

After he eventually got out, we had a little discussion about it. Since no one
else was on the field, I was the only witness, so, I took pity on him, and
agreed not to mention it when the others returned, since no damage was done.
So, after walking back to the pie cart to get my car parked nearby, I drove back
down the strip, we hooked up the tow rope, and began to tow it to the tie down
area. He was still a bit weak at the knees, so eventually, after we had only
gone about 50 yards, I let he drive, and I walked the wing the remaining 400
yards to the tie down.

That night he bought me two rounds of my southern comfort and coke. He didn't
have anything himself.

oddSox

Aug 1, 2002, 1:17:26 AM8/1/02
Crikey...
Well, if they can make that mistake in powered aircraft, why not gliders.
hehe..

"Peter Creswick" <vent...@ihug.com.au> wrote in message

Coop

Aug 1, 2002, 8:19:00 AM8/1/02

oddSox wrote:

> Crikey...
> Well, if they can make that mistake in powered aircraft, why not gliders.
> hehe..
>
> "Peter Creswick" <vent...@ihug.com.au> wrote in message
> | Seems like this thread has run it's course. So, a half personal incident,
> but
> | in reality, another person's incident.
> |

> (Good story about near wheels-up landing snipped)

If you hang around airfields long enough you see some really interesting
things....

Waikerie, a few weeks prior to the first Australian World Gliding Championships
in 1974. Lots of people are coming and going, some by expensive charter
flights.

A local dignitary is awaiting such a flight to collect him. A Cessna 310
appears overhead and ignoring both runways, elects to land to the north right
in front of the clubhouse. Swings out over the southern paddocks and lines up
without extending wheels. People watching realise this- some pick up old tires
(used to hold down glider wings) and start waving them overhead. I wander into
nearby bell hangar and grab an extinguisher in case he doesn't get the message.

He gets closer and closer, the tyre wavers get more frantic, and I start to
wonder if I really am going to have to be a Hero this time, and start looking
around to see if someone else would like to hold the extinguisher while I go
and do Something Else Very Important. Nope, they are all watching....

He levels, pulls off the power and starts his flare. I guess at this stage
either a nasty noise erupted in his earphones, or the message from the by now
frenetic tyre wavers finally penetrated. Just as he crosses the small ridge
running east from the end of the bell hangar, the power comes on in a rush, and
he reefs the nose up.....

The machine sags visibly, and there is a dull "clung". (? the tie-down loop at
the tail striking the top of the ridge?- we weren't sure, but some swear it is
true- the tail got very close to the ground, that's for sure). The props are
kicking up dust, and the machine follows the slope for a few yards before the
power increase takes effect and he gains a few feet. The gear drops out, the
power comes off, then goes back on again as he realises that he is now rapidly
running out of airfield, so he starts a climb, begins a turn to the right, then
starts to come around to the left (maybe thinking dumb-bell pattern and land
back the other way), then the gear goes up and he decides to cut his losses and
do it all again.

We all start breathing, and the second landing is uneventful (same location-
don't know what he thought the runways were for) and he taxies to a halt in
front of the bell hangar.

He doesn't get out, and it is a little while before our esteemed dignitary is
convinced that he wants to get in!!

Coop

RT

Aug 1, 2002, 9:53:02 AM8/1/02

Peter Creswick wrote in message <3D47D55B...@ihug.com.au>...

>Seems like this thread has run it's course. So, a half personal incident,
but
>in reality, another person's incident.

Well done.

Peter Creswick

Aug 1, 2002, 11:01:23 AM8/1/02
That could have been very messy ...........
Why didn't he land on either of the runways ? Sounds odd for the first attempt,
let alone the second. Any idea ?

oddSox

Aug 1, 2002, 9:09:38 PM8/1/02
Now I'd like to have seen that!
heh..

"Coop" <aust...@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message

Coop

Aug 2, 2002, 4:56:24 AM8/2/02

Peter Creswick wrote:

My guess it was bravado on the first attempt and ego on the second.

Coop

Ted Harrison

Aug 2, 2002, 8:32:27 AM8/2/02

"Coop" <aust...@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message news:3D4A4936...@ozemail.com.au...

I did tell you about the safety seminar at Rutherford, didn't I?

It was morning tea break and everyone was outside having a cuppa when the next lecturer,
who was going to speak on aviation medicine, arrived in a Baron.

Everyone watched dumbfounded as he slid to a halt in a cloud of dust in front of them,
wheels up.

oddSox

Aug 2, 2002, 9:20:21 AM8/2/02
Bent props and all?

"Ted Harrison" <ha...@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message

Ted Harrison

Aug 2, 2002, 9:30:26 AM8/2/02

"oddSox" <left...@rightsock.com> wrote in message news:3d4a8697$0$28865$afc3...@news.optusnet.com.au...

> Bent props and all?

Spielberg could not have done better.

RT

Aug 2, 2002, 9:36:39 AM8/2/02

Ted Harrison wrote in message ...

>I did tell you about the safety seminar at Rutherford, didn't I?
>
>It was morning tea break and everyone was outside having a cuppa when the
next lecturer,
>who was going to speak on aviation medicine, arrived in a Baron.
>
>Everyone watched dumbfounded as he slid to a halt in a cloud of dust in
front of them,
>wheels up.

Ahhh - that broke me up... (wipes tears from eyes)

And I'd thought I had the best one when we had a maintenance surveillance
bloke (DCA in those days) arrive at T'worth in a Mooney. Started giving us
a hard time. When it started to get a bit too hot, we asked innocently
what he wanted us to do about his prop (we had a prop o/h shop).

"Huh?"

He'd already told us he'd done a touch 'n go at Mascot from Bankstown before
coming to T'worth because he hadn't flown a Mooney "for a while", but had
unknowingly (to him) wheelbarrowed it and bent 3" of both tips back at 90
degrees and hadn't realised it ("I thought it seemed a bit rough on the way
up...) - and hadn't spotted it when he got out of the a/c!

<aaah........ sigh..> After that it was the most relaxing surveillance I
was ever involved in :-)

Hmm - we didn't see him again...

But then I s'pose it was a bit like the accident investigator who came up to
Brandon (a village south of Townsville) to investigate an accident with the
rat (VH-RAT) when the Sorenson gear mysteriously came adrift and pulled the
C180 into the cane.

It was pouring rain and the investigator and the pulchitrudinous barmaid at
the Brandon pub where we were all staying apparently jointly decided it was
a waste of time for him to plod through soggy canefields.
So he kept his RAF moustache dry (or at least rain-free) and his report
apparently consisted of: "Yes, there has been an accident".

We didn't see him again, either...

Eric J. Whitney

Aug 4, 2002, 1:50:57 AM8/4/02
RT wrote:

> pulchitrudinous

Is that really a word?

Eric

ChrisR

Aug 4, 2002, 3:02:49 AM8/4/02

"Eric J. Whitney" <er...@aeromech.usyd.REMOVETHIS.edu.au> wrote in message

I suspect RT really meant 'pulchritudinous' (but I didn't know they had any
barmaids that would fit that description so far North). :-)

Chris

Eric J. Whitney

Aug 4, 2002, 3:03:45 AM8/4/02
ChrisR wrote:

Ahh.... 'Round here we just call them 'hot' or 'available' or 'breathing'.
:-]

Eric

ChrisR

Aug 4, 2002, 3:20:14 AM8/4/02

"Eric J. Whitney" <er...@aeromech.usyd.REMOVETHIS.edu.au> wrote in message

For my money, as long as I can understand it when they say something like
"Yair luv, wachawant?", then I'm happy. 'Breathing' is fine. Big Bazookas
is an extra. :-))

Chris

Ted Harrison

Aug 4, 2002, 8:52:41 PM8/4/02

"RT" <r.th...@cqu.edu.au> wrote in message news:aie3c0$uma$1...@spider.cqu.edu.au...

.
> So he kept his RAF moustache dry (or at least rain-free)

More than I can say for my keyboard and screen, RT ....

Ted Harrison

Aug 4, 2002, 8:53:45 PM8/4/02

"Eric J. Whitney" <er...@aeromech.usyd.REMOVETHIS.edu.au> wrote in message
> RT wrote:
>
> > pulchitrudinous
>

> Is that really a word?

Breautiful.

townes de wombat

Aug 4, 2002, 9:20:37 PM8/4/02
On Sun, 4 Aug 2002 17:20:14 +1000, "ChrisR" <rocose NOatSPAM hotmail dot
com> wrote:

>"Eric J. Whitney" <er...@aeromech.usyd.REMOVETHIS.edu.au> wrote in message
>> ChrisR wrote:
>>
>> > "Eric J. Whitney" <er...@aeromech.usyd.REMOVETHIS.edu.au> wrote in
>message

>> > I suspect RT really meant 'pulchritudinous' (but I didn't know they had
>any
>> > barmaids that would fit that description so far North). :-)
>> >
>> > Chris
>>
>> Ahh.... 'Round here we just call them 'hot' or 'available' or
>'breathing'.
>> :-]
>>
>> Eric
>
>For my money, as long as I can understand it when they say something like
>"Yair luv, wachawant?", then I'm happy. 'Breathing' is fine. Big Bazookas
>is an extra. :-))
>
>Chris

Q - Whats Aussie for foreplay ?
A - You awake ?

townes de wombat

Aug 4, 2002, 9:21:23 PM8/4/02
com> wrote:

>"Eric J. Whitney" <er...@aeromech.usyd.REMOVETHIS.edu.au> wrote in message
>> ChrisR wrote:
>>
>> > "Eric J. Whitney" <er...@aeromech.usyd.REMOVETHIS.edu.au> wrote in
>message

>> > I suspect RT really meant 'pulchritudinous' (but I didn't know they had
>any
>> > barmaids that would fit that description so far North). :-)
>> >
>> > Chris
>>
>> Ahh.... 'Round here we just call them 'hot' or 'available' or
>'breathing'.
>> :-]
>>
>> Eric
>
>For my money, as long as I can understand it when they say something like
>"Yair luv, wachawant?", then I'm happy. 'Breathing' is fine. Big Bazookas
>is an extra. :-))
>
>Chris

Q - What's Kiwi for foreplay ?
A - Ewe awake.

Eric J. Whitney

Aug 4, 2002, 11:37:08 PM8/4/02
townes de wombat wrote:

> Q - Whats Aussie for foreplay ?
> A - You awake ?

Q - What's New South Welshman for foreplay?
A - Mum, are you awake?

All flames directed in good humour to the NG only please. :-]

Eric

P.S. I do live in NSW at the moment!

Ted Harrison

Aug 5, 2002, 5:27:45 AM8/5/02

"Eric J. Whitney" <er...@aeromech.usyd.REMOVETHIS.edu.au> wrote in message

Yeah, Eric, but that's not the question uppermost in our minds....

RT

Aug 5, 2002, 9:51:42 AM8/5/02

townes de wombat wrote in message
<3d4dd2f3...@news.optusnet.com.au>...

>Q - What's Kiwi for foreplay ?
>A - Ewe awake.

Pay that (Wipes eyes)

Phil Smith

Aug 22, 2002, 6:39:33 AM8/22/02
On Sat, 27 Jul 2002 22:53:30 +0930, Coop <aust...@ozemail.com.au>
wrote:

>Names changed to protect the guilty......
>
>Newly solo glider pilot needed a check ride. Hot- Shot pilot with instructor quals
>leaps into back seat and quickly straps in as newbie has been ready for awhile.
>Take up slack...let her rip... up and away. HS relaxes in back seat and gazes
>around at scenery as newbie is doing well and day is calm. After release, newbie
>starts thermalling, but hasn't quite got it centred, so HS decides to give him a
>demo of how it is done.
>"Taking over" he says, reaching for his stick and grabbing.....thin
>air........!!!!?
>Looks down and grows cold, realises in his haste hasn't bothered to check, and the
>rear stick had been removed for the previous flight. "Er.. on second thoughts, you
>take it" he says, hoping the newbie won't notice the slight strain in his voice.
>Looks around cockpit, finds two pens and a pencil in side pockets, figures he
>could jam them into the hole where the stick attaches if needed, pokes them in
>just in case, newbie does reasonable circuit and lands nicely, thankfully.......
>
>Confessed this to me in the bar a year or so after it happened. Confirmed by his
>best mate who saw him get out of the cockpit and noticed the stick wasn't there,
>but discretely said nothing as the look on HS's face said all that was
>needed.......
>
>Coop

[
Err...a bit late somewhat in the thread timeframe, but a bit of
history anyway]

While on the topic of gliding hot shots....

During a gliding instructor's course at Narromine in the mid 1970s, on
the final flying assessment day, the teaching instructors ramped up
the workload on us student instructors by playing 'dumb student who
won't do as he is told' or 'first time gliding passenger who won't
shut up'. The intention was to attempt to keep us totally distracted
during the flight to see if we slipped up on any of our own
flying...like forgetting checks, or breaking off to commence the
circuit and landing.

The hot shot student instructor was a current Navy helicopter pilot
who gave the impression that he was a cut above the rest of us
'amateur' pilots. Whatever workload was shoved on him we will never
know....but as he went sailing past overhead the normal landing point
with no doubt that he was going to land long [really long!!], we
noticed that the airbrakes were deployed much later than normal. He
finished up about two thirds up the strip as a result.

The explanation was that rolling out onto final approach he simply put
one hand out to grab the airbrake handle but (in a Blanik) grabbed the
flap handle instead, despite the distinctive shape and size
difference. The crucial time lost in realising that that he wasn't
sinking in the traditional manner and then twigging that he had pulled
flap instead of airbrake and then eventually reaching for the brake
handle...all while the instructor in the front was still rabbiting on
with his distraction caused our hot shot to earn a few demerits on his
final assessment flight.

A quick thinking local on the course arranged some handiwork and at
the final course debrief and presento our hot shot was ceremoniously
awarded a piece of pipe with one blue and one pink bicycle handle at
each end (representing the colours of the Blanik brake and flap
handles) and engraved with "Let not thy student flap but give him a
brake"...as a subtle reminder to our (now discredited) hot shot!!

Harrison

Aug 22, 2002, 6:56:02 PM8/22/02

"Phil Smith" <smit...@ANTIozemail.com.au> wrote in message news:2qf9mu4femi9cfmp5...@4ax.com...

> The hot shot student instructor was a current Navy helicopter pilot
> who gave the impression that he was a cut above the rest of us
> 'amateur' pilots. Whatever workload was shoved on him we will never
> know....but as he went sailing past overhead the normal landing point
> with no doubt that he was going to land long [really long!!], we
> noticed that the airbrakes were deployed much later than normal. He
> finished up about two thirds up the strip as a result.

I guess you had to be there. <GRIN>

Wayne Lawrence

Aug 23, 2002, 6:34:42 AM8/23/02
I'm Cabin Crew on this flight.
BNE to SIN - QF B707, before overhead lockers were instaled just hat
and blanket rack. Date circa 1969.

Boarding PAX, 90 members of the Russian Ballet all with coat covers
about 2 feet thick all wanting them in the rack.

We formed a chain to pass them all out the rear door and into the
cargo bay.

Intresting flight to SIN the Russians did not have much english but
they drank the bar dry and I collected a lot of autographs.

On arival SIN (The old Changi Airport)they all wanted their coat
covers so the hostie and I stayed behind to help them find them as
they were unloaded. The rest of the crew boarded the crew bus for the
terminal (about half a mile away) I placed my coat cover and briefcase
on the bus for safe keeping with the crew.

It took about 20mins to sort the Russians out and we caught the bus to
the terminal with them.

Located my crew in the terminal and asked who has my briefcase, only
to be told that they had left it on the bus for me and sent the bus
back to pick me up.

I wandered back out onto the tarmac and I could see the bus parked
over by the 707 (it was about 2100hrs) so I tried to attract the
drivers attention by waving my hat and arms over my head.

Now just then a Garuda DC-3 happened to be trundeling down the
taxiway, the pilot took my waving for a park here signel turned and
nosed into the parking bay and stopped.

A whole bunch of people ran out telling him to back up as a Gaurda
DC-9 was trying to pagk in the same spot. You can back up a DC-3 He
just stopped opened the door and started to unload.

I placed hat firmly on head and hands in pocket and headed for the
bus.

Its the only time in 20 years of flying where I got to park an a/c.

Wayne Lawrence
http://www.eqccc.ht.st

Phil Smith

Aug 23, 2002, 8:20:38 AM8/23/02
On Thu, 22 Aug 2002 22:56:02 GMT, "Harrison" <ha...@bigpond.net.au>
wrote:

Yessir...without a doubt...without *a* doubt...

especially to witness the ensuing sweet justice being meted out in the
presence of his 'lesser' peers!!

<Revengefully wringing hands together!>

RT

Aug 23, 2002, 9:11:49 AM8/23/02

Wayne Lawrence wrote in message
<490bc348.02082...@posting.google.com>...

>I'm Cabin Crew on this flight.
>BNE to SIN - QF B707, before overhead lockers were instaled just hat
>and blanket rack. Date circa 1969.
>
>Boarding PAX, 90 members of the Russian Ballet all with coat covers
>about 2 feet thick all wanting them in the rack.

Heh. You'll be pleased to know nothing has changed. My missus (Russian)
was responsible for a group of Russian Uni Vice Chancellors (uni bosses) who
came out to Oz about 6 years ago. One great big bloke chose to snooze with
his arms wrapped around the headrest of the seat in front after not only
drinking the bar dry but transferring to internal storage a fair swag of
vodka they'd smuggled aboard. Nyet problem. Unfortunately as he relaxed
in sleep his arms drooped and and his hands cruised across the bits that
stick out on a young Indian lady in the seat in front of him. Possibly no
problem. Unfortunately said Indian lady was flanked by her husband and
father-in-law who threw a wobbly. My missus, as the only one who spoke
English, managed to settle it down without too much trouble...

Then he went to sleep again and the same thing happened. Took a good deal
of settling down the second time!

Then the smoke detector in one of the toilets went off and she was bailed up
by the cabin crew: "One of your lot smoking?" She did the rounds. "Nyet"
in smoke signals from one bloke - "When I went in there there was a smell of
cigarettes.."

She was as sick as a dog with the flu at the time and reckons, like my
helicopter flying - done it twice - first and last.

Ted Harrison

Aug 23, 2002, 5:10:48 PM8/23/02

"Wayne Lawrence" <rawle...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Its the only time in 20 years of flying where I got to park an a/c.

Ripper yarn, Wayne.

I met many of those dancers in Sydney and was struck by how tiny some were,
particularly the leading lady.

Cheers.