TitanDB 1.1 availability

John Skilling

Jan 7, 2016, 4:51:41 PM1/7/16
to Aurelius
Hi Dan / Stephen,

Can you share your thoughts on the availability of TitanDB 1.1 please?

I see there was a flurry of activity before the holidays.  Is there more to work to do to create an official release?  If so, any indication when the release may be available?

Thank you for you response in advance.

Best,

John

Stephen Mallette

Jan 8, 2016, 6:52:38 AM1/8/16
to Aurelius
We hit a number of unexpected problems after bumping to TinkerPop 3.1.0-incubating which delayed the work.  The upgrade ended up not being as straightforward as expected as some bugs managed to show themselves.  I think that the remaining issues are the kind of things that aren't easy to estimate timing on, so I'd be hesitant to offer another release date at this point.

David

Jan 8, 2016, 10:22:58 AM1/8/16
to Aurelius
Besides #1229, what other Issues should we look at for Titan 1.1.0 blockers ?

Do we need to open additional issues to track blocking problems ?
Is there a particular tag that is used to indicate titan 1.1.0 blockers ?

The OLAP support (Titan working with GraphComputers and/or Hadoop-Gremlin
beyond bulk loading)  has me scratching my head, but that may not be considered
a blocker with respect to releasing Titan 1.1.0.

John Skilling

Jan 9, 2016, 4:46:06 PM1/9/16
to Aurelius
Stephen,

Thanks for the clarification.    It is accurate to say that until these issues are fixed, there is no working version of TitanDB with Hadoop 2.x?

Best,

John

Jason Plurad

Jan 11, 2016, 10:37:05 AM1/11/16
to Aurelius
John,

Development is being done on the titan11 branch in Github. It is built with TinkerPop 3.1.0 and can support Hadoop2 for OLTP and OLAP.

The directions to build it are located in this README.md.
mvn clean install -Paurelius-release -Dgpg.skip=true -DskipTests=true

It isn't an official release, but it would be great if you can build it and try it out. Post back on the mailing list or open up an issue on the Github tracker as you run into blockers.

-- Jason

David

Jan 11, 2016, 12:39:30 PM1/11/16
to Aurelius
John,

I am able to get this version of Titan:

https://github.com/thinkaurelius/titan/tree/titan11

running for OLTP on HDP 2.3.x running Hadoop 2.7.1 and HBase 1.1.1.
The bulk load OLAP vertex program also works with this version of Titan.

Other OLAP features that are supposed to work still remain a bit of a mystery
to me, so I can't say if all of the OLAP function works or not.  I plan to
keep poking on this.

When I work with the above version of Titan, I always pull in pull request  #1230.
You can also check my latest comment in defect 1229, where I speculate on
a particular fix that seems to fix the "stack overflow" use case in my environment-
although I can't say if that is the correct fix or not.

You can look through several other pull requests that are pending and include those
if you like - particularly the ones that upgrade dependency versions.

One pull request in particular (1218) cleans up the HBase and Hadoop support in Titan
to remove old versions of HBase and Hadoop 1 and makes the build cleaner (my opinion).

Stephen Mallette

Jan 11, 2016, 1:51:53 PM1/11/16
to Aurelius
I'd have to let Dan say if there's anything else beyond #1229.  That's the main one I'm watching, though I'm not sure of the fix.  I'd also say that at this point, "testing" is probably still pretty high on the list of things to do.

John Skilling

Jan 14, 2016, 1:27:00 PM1/14/16
to Aurelius
David and @pluradj,

Thanks for your feedback on the Titan 1.1.

We complied the 1.1 tree and ran basic tests.  Initial testing of OLAP features and bulk import is promising, and the release is stable.  Of course, we have not tested everything!

We plan to test the Gremlin Server tomorrow, and will log any issues found during our testing.

All,

I uploaded a compiled version of titan-1.1.0-SNAPSHOT-hadoop2.zip on Dropbox.   Please feel free to download and test.

Hadoop 1 for all practical purposes is not where we want to be.  The sooner we get TitanDB to work with Hadoop 2 in production mode, the better we are.

Best,

John

David

Jan 14, 2016, 3:07:40 PM1/14/16
to Aurelius
Hi John,

Thanks for the update.  Looks like great progress.

If you have a chance to refer to pull request  >>Titan Server updates - primarily to Chapter 7 #1238<<

as you work through the Titan Server steps, feedback is appreciated.

Can you mention the specific "OLAP features" you were able to run so far ?

Effy

Apr 7, 2016, 3:38:24 AM4/7/16
to Aurelius
Hi,

Are there any updates regarding Titan 1.1 release?
It's been a long while since TinkerPop released new version (multiple versions actually), and I'm feeling outdated...

Thanks guys and keep up the great work.
Effy

qiha...@126.com

Apr 17, 2016, 11:38:13 PM4/17/16
to Aurelius
Hi,

I'm also interested in Titan 1.1 release,  which would work with Hadoop 2.7.1+, Hbase 1.1.1 +, and also "OLAP features".
Any updates will help me a lot.

Thanks so much!