No commit after Dec 2015. Is titan in active development ?

manish kumar

Jun 30, 2016, 12:24:08 PM6/30/16
to Aurelius
Titan is supported by very old cassandra & elasticsearch. No commit since dec 15.

Jason Plurad

Jun 30, 2016, 12:55:52 PM6/30/16
to Aurelius
Last commit on titan11 was on June 1. There has been little to no movement on getting newer versions of the core dependencies pulled into the codebase, although you can find several usable Pull Requests out on GitHub if you're willing to build it yourself.

-- Jason

On Thu, Jun 30, 2016 at 12:24 PM, manish kumar <mkj.o...@gmail.com> wrote:
Titan is supported by very old cassandra & elasticsearch. No commit since dec 15.

manish kumar

Jun 30, 2016, 1:15:00 PM6/30/16
to Aurelius
the core maintainers have largely been absent from the community because they are busy working on DataStax Enterprise Graph.
I think because of this the development process is slow. If you see, titan is back by very old cassandra & elasticsearch. So i am afraid that shall i start my new project with titan or not ? I remember i had use tititan 0.4 and with titan 0.5 everything had changed. and i had to upgrade my code. So instability is also a matter.

Jason Plurad

Jun 30, 2016, 7:17:38 PM6/30/16
to Aurelius
> So i am afraid that shall i start my new project with titan or not ?

That's your call :)

Keep in mind you're not required to move up at all. If Titan 0.5.4 is working out for you and you're not running into showstopping issues, you can certainly stick with it. I think I've heard of projects that are in still in production on Titan 0.3 and 0.4.

Upgrading from Titan 0.5 to Titan 1.0 isn't necessarily a simple task because there were major changes between TinkerPop 2.5 and TinkerPop 3.0.1. But once you've moved up to TinkerPop 3, the excellence of the TinkerPop graph platform kicks in -- you have many migration options. See list of Graph Systems on the Apache TinkerPop home page.

-- Jason

Kevin Schumacher

Jun 30, 2016, 10:16:23 PM6/30/16
to Aurelius
Just an anecdote.
Our product is using 0.4.4 still. We are looking to move directly to TP3/Titan11 but are using this migration as an opportunity to evaluate other vendors through the TP3 libraries (which, to be fair, may include DSE graph, and we may decide to stick with Titan -- who knows at this point)

manish kumar

Jun 30, 2016, 10:31:30 PM6/30/16
to Aurelius
I saw that titan is compatible with "
  • TinkerPop 3.0.1-incubating
So does it mean that Titan1.0 will be stable (the internal data storage ) unlike 0.4 version.

Stephen Mallette

Jul 1, 2016, 5:13:43 AM7/1/16
to Aurelius
internal storage does not change through the titan11 branch which supports TinkerPop 3.1.x and i'm pretty sure it doesn't change in the pull request to go to 3.2.x, so at this point i would say it is stable.

manish kumar

Jul 25, 2016, 11:19:38 AM7/25/16
to Aurelius
Will it be a good idea to start a new project based on Titan DB as everywhere i am seeing that Titan developers are busy in DataStax Enterprise Graph. SO that make a doubtful future of titan? No roadmap found for titan future development