Friday Topic: How to be involved with the larger community (outside of AtlantaPHP)

Matt Trask

Oct 14, 2016, 9:49:34 AM10/14/16
to AtlantaPHP Discussions and Job Postings
Hey y'all!

Its that time again, so figured I would through out another topic.

This time, how to be involved with the PHP Community outside of Atlanta. As you know, PHP has a robust community that stretches the world in both user groups and conferences. But getting involved can be daunting. As Call Evans wrote in the recent PHP[Arch] magazine, if you aren't in the "in" crowd, its tough to get to know people.

So what are some of your tips to get involved with the PHP Community outside of your city? Do you travel to another user group like Nashville PHP, Upstate PHP, MemTech? Do you do conferences like Sunshine, Lonestar, Midwest, SkiPHP, TrueNorth or others? Do you hang out in various slack/irc rooms and actually talk? Do you participate in conversations on various mailing lists like the PHP League, FIG (God help us all), or others? Are you on the internals list?

Lets open the door to others and show the world what Atlanta can offer for the PHP Community.

Gina-Marie Rollock

Oct 14, 2016, 2:15:42 PM10/14/16
to mjft...@gmail.com, AtlantaPHP Discussions and Job Postings

I live in a small city in south Georgia and am a member of AtlantaPHP. I have made the effort to attend a few of the user group meetings, which requires me spending the night in the “big” city. It has definitely been worth it though.

I attend conferences (this year I’m going to ZendCon and TrueNorth), and next year will also be attending SunshinePHP. I’ve gotten to know people over the years, and I try to follow PHP’ers on Twitter to keep in-the-know.

It has definitely made in a difference in the way I do my job, and I love the community!

cid:12571222-DD33-4179-BC04-2C93308E01CD

Gina-Marie Rollock
Software Developer
Network Technology Solutions
Office  119 East Jackson Street, Thomasville, GA 31792
Phone 229.584.2006   Fax 229.226.2495
Email  gina-mari...@ntsinteractives.com
Web  http://www.ntsnetworks.com

NOTICE: This electronic mail message and any files transmitted with it are intended exclusively for the individual or entity to which it is addressed. The message, together with any attachment, may contain confidential and/or privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, printing, saving, copying, disclosure or distribution is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please immediately advise the sender by reply email and delete all copies. Unauthorized interception of this e-mail is a violation of Federal criminal law. Warning: Although NTS has taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses are present in this e-mail and any files transmitted with it, NTS accepts no liability for any loss or damage arising from the use of this e-mail, attachments or linked websites.