AtlantaPHP August 2018 Meeting

Chris Spruck

Jul 23, 2018, 9:57:26 PM7/23/18
to Atlanta PHP Announcements, Atlanta PHP

Announcing a new Meetup for the AtlantaPHP User Group!

(note the New Meeting Feature below)

When: Thursday, August 2nd, 2018 — 7pm-9pm

Please RSVP at: https://www.meetup.com/atlantaphp/events/253082311/

PRESENTATION: "APIs at Scale Require More Than Fast PHP" by Stephen F. Johnston, Jr., Founder & CTO at PubWise

Using PHP to process 1000s of API events per second per machine and millions of events per minute is not simply a matter of tuning PHP. This talk will cover proven, battle-tested strategies for building, testing, monitoring and scaling PHP APIs. This talk will cover system tuning, PHP tuning and response tuning that apply to any API, as well as Lumen tuning, and will also cover specific capabilities in Google Cloud such as auto-scaling, tracing and load balancing.

This is not a theoretical talk or a talk not backed by real-world experience. I will be covering specific lessons learned and implemented to process billions of monthly API events. I will cover specific examples, caveats, and alternatives along the way. I’ve spent the last year scaling the API architecture and code at PubWise to handle millions of events per minute and to auto scale nearly without limit. We’ve moved through three phases of architecture based on scaling needs and learned a ton in the process. I want to pass on what we’ve learned.

About Stephen: Stephen F. Johnston, Jr. is the Founder and CTO of PubWise (2016) and Launch Media Network (2006). Stephen has more than 25 years experience in internet application development and has worked with Massachusetts General Hospital, Cox Communications, Land America and more. PubWise provides data analytics and digital advertising yield optimization for internet publishers by processing billions of data points monthly to provide actionable insights and machine learning based recommendations. Stephen is a unique problem solver who sees challenges as opportunities for valuable discoveries.

New Meeting Feature: Open Spaces! Feedback from last month's experiment was pretty positive, so we're going to continue with a new discussion format among attendees. Please come with some questions or discussion topics in mind. The group will vote on suggestions and we'll cover things, based on interest. Come share your expertise!

Map Link:  https://goo.gl/maps/N2F52DZs9Cs (parking deck entrance, 600 building is due north of the deck)

Directions: Take I-285 to Cobb Parkway/US-41. Go south & turn left on Akers Mill Rd. At the 2nd traffic light, go left into Cobb Galleria, then an immediate left into the parking garage. Enter the 600 bldg & tell security you’re there for AtlantaPHP, 14th floor.

SPECIAL NOTE: Building security has become a bit more strict, so please do your best to arrive before 7pm. On arrival, you may need to mention that you are there to attend a meeting at ShootProof.

Food provided by AtlantaPHP