What documentation tools do you use?

Randall

Oct 17, 2016, 5:54:47 PM10/17/16
to AtlantaPHP
Quick question... what tools are you using to document "tribal knowledge" these days... the "how things work" kind of details.

Are you using MediaWiki, JIRA, shared drives full of Word Docs, Post-It notes, Visio, Glyphy, etc. ?

Or is this a gap in your company? Do new developers visit the wise old sage who has been there the longest?

-Randall

Kevin Roberts

Oct 17, 2016, 6:58:15 PM10/17/16
to gh...@uxch.com, AtlantaPHP
I use MediaWiki internally to document the lore in my head (for colleagues, and because I might forget myself). It works well enough for my purposes though I think it would be tedious if I had to document constantly changing processes. When I do document things I want it to be very clear so I include screen captures and find SnagIt the best tool for that job.

I also maintain a few User Guides in Word which I output to PDF for distribution.

For documenting design decisions, we use Blueprint.

Cheers.

Kevin

Monday, October 17, 2016 5:54 PM

Nic Rosental

Oct 17, 2016, 7:32:09 PM10/17/16
to gh...@uxch.com, kevin_...@hotmail.com, AtlantaPHP
I pretty much write Markdown documents, and either share them directly, post them on Slack, or on Github, or all of the above.

--
Nic Rosental

Ozgur Ozturk

Oct 17, 2016, 7:43:22 PM10/17/16
to AtlantaPHP
Different groups at my company use basecamp, evernote, one-note etc.
In a few previous companies, we used Atlassian Confluence (wiki).
I think wikis work best, if you keep things organized.
You need someone to be the regulator and help people organize the data...

Mike Schinkel

Oct 17, 2016, 9:58:26 PM10/17/16
to Atlanta PHP, gh...@uxch.com

jhil...@gmail.com

Oct 17, 2016, 11:36:49 PM10/17/16
to gh...@uxch.com, AtlantaPHP
Usually just markdown files in a docs directory of the repository. Easy to read, even nicer to read in Github.

Sent from my iPhone