digital film archiving in big scale

Silvester Stöger

Jan 29, 2013, 4:16:39 PM1/29/13
to archiv...@googlegroups.com
Hello there!

I am working for a bigger film archive in europe.

At the moment we are undertaking major research about setting up a practical digital archiving infrastructure.

We found out about archivematica but don't know yet if it is applicable for our needs. It is hard to describe the full scope of necessities now, but priority is seen in transfering the data safely on lto tape.(with obligatory checksums, safe transfer and connection to our institutions databank from where the archiving and retrieval actions should be triggered as well as the metadata managed)

Another aspect is the transcoding of high def. videomaterial ( from SD video in all kind of flavors up to 4k dpx sequences) into FFv01 and generate video proxies as well as structure the AIPs before sending it to be transfered to tape.

The major issue is high data amounts / big files here.

It would be nice to hear from you and listen to your opinion about the use of archivematica in such an undertaking. Maybe somebody here has practical experience already.

With best regards,
Silvester Stöger

Courtney Mumma

Jan 30, 2013, 3:07:36 PM1/30/13
to archiv...@googlegroups.com
Hello Sylvester,

Thanks for you questions and your interest in Archivematica. Please find my responses in text below.

On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 1:16 PM, Silvester Stöger <silveste...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello there!

I am working for a bigger film archive in europe.

At the moment we are undertaking major research about setting up a practical digital archiving infrastructure.

Great! We like to think we're great proponents of practicality.

Archivematica is agnostic when it comes to storage locations/types. Instead, we create consistent AIPs (https://www.archivematica.org/wiki/AIP_structure) and, in the web-based dashboard, we provide an index and search, a way to manage their locations, as well as links to their associated DIPs.

Archivematica comes packaged with AtoM archival description and access software. (https://www.ica-atom.org/) However, Archivematica can be integrated with any access and management system. Either repositories can choose to do the integration themselves and share with the community at-large, or Artefactual Systems can be hired to do the work.

Another aspect is the transcoding of high def. videomaterial ( from SD video in all kind of flavors up to 4k dpx sequences) into FFv01 and generate video proxies as well as structure the AIPs before sending it to be transfered to tape.

For information about Archivematica's format policies for normalization for access and preservation, please see:  https://www.archivematica.org/wiki/Media_type_preservation_plans

Additionally, the Archivematica project team is working on a better way to manage normalization format policies (ie business rules and tool commands for format transcoding). Our Format Policy Registry (FPR) will allow users to change or enhance default format policies, as well as see other community members policies and update the FPR with their own. See https://www.archivematica.org/wiki/Format_policy_registry_requirements for more information, mockups, and plans for development.

      The major issue is high data amounts / big files here.

We are currently working on scalability testing. For information, see https://www.archivematica.org/wiki/Scalability_testing.

I hope these answers and links have been helpful. Please do stay in touch to let us know how your project is going, and feel free to ask any other questions that may come up.

Cheers,
Courtney

--
Courtney C. Mumma, MAS/MLIS
Archivematica Product Manager/Systems Analyst

Silvester Stöger

Feb 1, 2013, 6:30:05 AM2/1/13
to archiv...@googlegroups.com

Hello Courtney,

Thank you for all the answers!
We will keep thinking about the topic and get in touch with you again as fast as new questions arise.

Until then do i wish you a nice weekend,
With best regards,
Silvester

Silvester Stöger

Feb 2, 2013, 7:18:26 AM2/2/13