Interoperability Standards for AIPS

Slavko Manojlovich

Apr 5, 2011, 11:30:02 AM4/5/11
to archivematica

I was just reading the release notes for DSpace 1.7 regarding AIP
Backup/Restore where they make reference to restoring the AIPs to
another instance of DSpace, Fedora or whatever.Basically, the AIP
becomes a SIP for ingest into another system. They have also added the
basic infrastructure to support Curation services but nothing as
sophisticated as Archivematica.

https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSDOC/AIP+Backup+and+Restore

I am working on creating AIPs stored in Bagit bags for all of my
CONTENTdm digital objects with a goal of processing them by
Archivematica in order to add the technical and preservation metadata
to the existing descriptive dublin core metadata.

DSpace provides examples of AIPs generated by release 1.7:

https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSDOC/AIP+Backup+and+Restore

If I were to package this AIP in a Bag would I be able to have
Archivematica process it as a SIP.

Is there a standard defining the structure of the contents of the AIP
which would support
interoperability between systems.

Various Scenarios exist:

Archivematica AIPS --> DSpace SIPS --> CONTENTDM DIPS

DSpace AIPS --> Archivematica SIPS --> DSpace SIPS --> CONTENTDM DIPS

where each sub-system has its pros/cons in the process.

Thanks
Slavko Manojlovich
Manager, Digital Archives Initiative
Memorial University of Newfoundland

Evelyn McLellan

Apr 5, 2011, 1:46:02 PM4/5/11
to archivematica
Hi Slavko,

On Apr 5, 8:30 am, Slavko Manojlovich <sla...@mun.ca> wrote:
> I was just reading the release notes for DSpace 1.7 regarding AIP
> Backup/Restore where they make reference to restoring the AIPs to
> another instance of DSpace, Fedora or whatever.Basically, the AIP
> becomes a SIP for ingest into another system. They have also added the
> basic infrastructure to support Curation services but nothing as
> sophisticated as Archivematica.
>
> https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSDOC/AIP+Backup+and+Restore

Nice, thanks for the link.

> I am working on creating AIPs stored in Bagit bags for all of my
> CONTENTdm digital objects with a goal of processing them by
> Archivematica in order to add the technical and preservation metadata
> to the existing descriptive dublin core metadata.
>
> DSpace provides examples of AIPs generated by release 1.7:
>
>  https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSDOC/AIP+Backup+and+Restore
>
> If I were to package this AIP in a Bag would I be able to have
> Archivematica process it as a SIP.

Archivematica can process pretty much anything as a SIP. All you need
is a folder with files (including zipped files if desired) in it.
However, the question would be whether we could use the metadata
provided with the DSPace AIP in a meaningful way, since as you know we
have our own DC metadata template and we generate a mets file with
PREMIS elements as the SIP is processed through ingest.

> Is there a standard defining the structure of the contents of the AIP
> which would support
> interoperability between systems.

We are still working on the structure of our AIP in Archivematica.
However, one standard that has been of interest to us is the
Repository eXchange Package (RXP) spec produced by the TIPR project
(see http://swiki.fcla.edu:8000/TIPR/21). We may want our AIP
structure to be compatible with that to allow easy exchange of AIPs
between systems.

> Various Scenarios exist:
>
> Archivematica AIPS --> DSpace SIPS --> CONTENTDM DIPS
>
> DSpace AIPS --> Archivematica SIPS --> DSpace SIPS --> CONTENTDM DIPS
>
> where each sub-system has its pros/cons in the process.

Actually we are currently working on a project with a partner
institution which will require us to upload DIPs from Archivematica
directly to contentDM. Work on this is in the preliminary stage but we
hope to have the interface completed by the end of this year. In terms
of other workflows (DSpace AIPs into Archivematica etc.) we would
probably need to find a partner institution willing to fund the
development of features like that.

Manojlovich, Slavko

Apr 5, 2011, 1:51:32 PM4/5/11
to archiv...@googlegroups.com
The URL for the DSpace AIP examples is incorrect. It should be:

https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSDOC/DSpace+AIP+Format

________________________________

https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSDOC/AIP+Backup+and+Restore

https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSDOC/AIP+Backup+and+Restore

Various Scenarios exist:

winmail.dat

Manojlovich, Slavko

Apr 5, 2011, 2:06:28 PM4/5/11
to archiv...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the update Evelyn and and for the pointer to the RXP spec.

Of course I forgot to mention:

Archivematica AIPS --> CONTENTdm DIPS

Our goal is to create well-formed AIPS in order to give us the flexibility to
migrate to a better platform and/or to ingest from whereever.
Do you know if HathiTrust is using the RXP spec in their implementation:

http://www.hathitrust.org/digital_object_specifications

Slavko Manojlovich
Manager, Digital Archives Initiative
Memorial University of Newfoundland

________________________________

> Thanks for the update Evelyn and and for the pointer to the RXP spec.
>
> Of course I forgot to mention:
>
> Archivematica AIPS  --> CONTENTdm DIPS

Yes, we think that will be quite useful because contentDM is designed
mainly to be an on-line access system, not a preservation system per
se.

> Our goal is to create well-formed AIPS in order to give us the flexibility to
> migrate to a better platform and/or to ingest from whereever.
> Do you know if HathiTrust is using the RXP spec in their implementation:
>
> http://www.hathitrust.org/digital_object_specifications

No, I don't see any evidence that Hathi Trust uses the RXP spec. I
would love to hear from institutions that do.