Arches v5.0 released (now using Python 3!)

Alexei Peters

Jan 13, 2020, 3:40:43 PM1/13/20
to Arches Project
The Arches team is happy to announce the release of v5.0
This is a major release of Arches and it will require several updates to the dependencies upon which Arches relies.

To upgrade from a previous version please review the "Upgrading Arches" section of the release notes for v5.0 in its entirety before you begin the upgrade process.

Here some of the release highlights:
  • Dependency Upgrades - Arches now uses:
    • Python 3.7
    • Django 2.2
    • Elasticsearch 7.4
    • Postgres 12
    • PostGIS 3
  • Task Management: Arches can now be configured to delegate background tasks using Celery
  • Notifications: Arches can notify users when a task is complete and developers can add custom notifications
  • Search Export: Users can export search results to CSV or shapefile formats.
  • Search Components: Developers can now override search components to customize the search interface, or add their own search components
  • Package Ontologies: Ontologies can now be loaded from a package
  • The default ontology has been removed to better accommodate instances without ontologies or custom ontologies
  • Workflows: Developers can design workflows to simplify data management operations for their users
  • The tile server (TileStache) has been removed in favor of storing vector tiles directly in Postgres
  • A grouping card component has been added to cards into a single card
  • A map component has been added to manage multiple geometry nodes in a single map interface.
  • The map widget has been upgraded with an improved interface
  • Custom indexes have been added to allow developers to add their own indexes
As always the documentation can be found at <http://arches.readthedocs.io>

Chris Dolby

Jan 14, 2020, 4:44:17 AM1/14/20
to Arches Project
Thanks to everyone who's worked on it - there are a lot of useful things here, and also it helps solve the necessary support changes relating to Python.

We'll be putting this release into use on our projects very shortly.

I did have one question about the last point on the release notes - is this the ability to add custom indexes for both searching and exporting, including for future use in dashboards? I think I understand based upon discussions, but it's a bit unclear!

Best wishes,
Chris Dolby
Project Manager
Historic England