Is Arches useful to manage heritage or just to describe and visualize

Marc Hernandez

Feb 2, 2018, 12:36:41 PM2/2/18
to Arches Project
I'd like to know about your expierence using Arches to manage heritage (and not only describing and visializing it). What can be done in that "managing" sense? In othwr words, how do heritage experts use Arches to manage heritge besides docummenting and visualizing buildings? Monotoring? Linking files and interventions? Any examples of managing uses out there? Thank you very much!
Marc Hernandez
Barcelona

Dennis Wuthrich

Feb 2, 2018, 4:05:01 PM2/2/18
to Arches Project
Hi Mark,

Yes, we know of Arches users who define "managing" heritage as ongoing activities that document the condition of a heritage assets, linking documents that describe interventions, and activities that evaluate a heritage object with the goal of determining whether it is suitable for enhanced protection status.

We're also starting to look at creating an Arches application that would allow organizations to formally track the case work, communications, mitigation requirements, and monitoring efforts associated with permit applications and how they might impact heritage resources.

Really, Arches has been designed to allow you to define how you want to "manage" heritage.  Arches can track the information associated with managing heritage, and it will allow you to implement management workflows (via Python and Javascript) if you need to implement sophisticated management workflows.

Hope this helps,

Dennis

sara...@lacity.org

Feb 5, 2018, 3:31:33 PM2/5/18
to Arches Project

Hello from the City of Los Angeles, Marc.

Our ARCHES customization, HistoricPlacesLA, is the management system through which we administer the findings from SurveyLA, Los Angeles’ citywide historic resources survey, as well as the city's designated resources. At this moment we are in the process of finalizing the migration of all our survey data into the system. We have already begun to use the system as the primary source of information for historic resources. HistoricPlacesLA will be where we keep records as properties are altered and/or formally listed as landmarks. New data and information resources, like images, reports and nomination applications, will append the initial data collected through SurveyLA. HistoricPlacesLA will be the main resource for city planning staff and the public to review the status of historic resources in the City of Los Angeles. Furthermore, in the near future we aim to utilize the system as Dennis described, to track case work, communications, and property inspections. Our ARCHES implementation will serve as the platform through which we manage most, if not all, of the city’s preservation programs, which includes a landmark nomination process as well as a contractual property tax incentive program.

For another example of ARCHES as a property management system, you may want to explore the customization of ARCHES for the Armed Forces Retirement Home in Washington, D.C. The implementation has been titled AFRH IRIS. Besides consolidating, describing, and visualizing resources AFRH IRIS is also utilized to track ongoing property management and compliance activities.

I hope this additional information if helpful,

Sara Delgadillo Cruz

carrie...@preservescapes.com

Feb 12, 2018, 2:11:06 PM2/12/18
to Arches Project
Thanks for including that additional information about AFRH IRIS, Sara.
Marc, we worked on the team that developed AFRH IRIS, and I now use it on a daily basis for management purposes for the federal agency that manages the historic campus. We use it as a tool for managing ongoing compliance with local and federal regulations for individual capital improvement and planning projects on the campus, as well as the central repository for all project-related documents. If you want more information about how we designed or use the management capabilities, let me know. I can also give you an idea of how we use some of the base functionalities from a management perspective, such as using the location filter to search for known historic resources within project areas, etc.
You can email me at: carrie...@preservescapes.com

Carrie Barton
PRESERVE/scapes