Wish me luck...

Pete L.

Sep 28, 2012, 10:10:41 AM9/28/12
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Not sure if Daniel has spilled the beans, but I'm out in California right now because I'm interviewing for a software engineering job at Google today. I know not everyone is a fan, but hey, there are certainly more evil companies out there (like AT&T). As most folks probably know, Google doesn't hire just anyone, so I'm trying to keep my expectations realistic. But they did fly me out here. I'm having a great time. I visited my brother's workplace yesterday at Zazzle. It's about 100% different from my current employer. Silicon Valley is like nerd heaven.

I'll report on what I can on Tuesday (Kate's new job means I get to come on Tuesday nights again!!).

-Pete

George Fetters

Sep 28, 2012, 10:15:07 AM9/28/12
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
You know you will have to give up your iphone if you go to work for google.

Pete L.

Sep 28, 2012, 10:18:56 AM9/28/12
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
NEVER!

Actually, one of the teams I'm interviewing with today is the Android team. I think if I get hired by them I probably will have to make the switch.

-Pete

Ryan/baslisks

Sep 28, 2012, 10:21:34 AM9/28/12
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Don't they do app development for the iphone too? I mean it is a valid platform.

Pete L.

Sep 28, 2012, 10:23:22 AM9/28/12
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
They do. I'm pretty sure they won't require me to get rid of my iPhone if I join up. But I'll probably end up with a free Android phone at some point and I might have to make a choice there. I'm not opposed to Android phones or anything. I'm just an Apple fanboy.

-Pete

On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 9:21 AM, Ryan/baslisks <basl...@gmail.com> wrote:
Don't they do app development for the iphone too? I mean it is a valid platform.

Keith Rogers

Sep 28, 2012, 10:47:26 AM9/28/12
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Pete - Awesome, good luck!  -Keith

-Pete

John Reskusich

Sep 28, 2012, 10:53:08 AM9/28/12
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I wish you luck. I have no doubt that if they don't get you, they
made a mistake.

GeekTinker

Sep 28, 2012, 12:07:28 PM9/28/12
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Good Luck Pete!  I think you make a great fit for Google!  I'm sure they will realize that as well and make you an offer.

Way to go after your dreams.
Message has been deleted

Deech

Sep 28, 2012, 8:09:40 PM9/28/12
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
GOOD LUCK.

Be sure to casually mention this: http://memegenerator.net/instance/27525029

-Deech

Xsfx2000

Sep 28, 2012, 9:14:36 PM9/28/12
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com

Done. However, I don't think you need luck- you're set!

Pete L.

Sep 29, 2012, 11:39:17 AM9/29/12
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Oh, don't worry Deech, most of my interviewers probably left thinking I was totally obsessed with bragging about the proxy server I built that one time.

Things went pretty well. As I mentioned, I signed an NDA so I can't go into specifics, but I'll report more on my general experience Tuesday.

-Pete

Deech

Sep 29, 2012, 6:40:02 PM9/29/12
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Awesome. If I were you, I'd just print out all the articles from Wired and Make, etc, and just staple them to the back of your resume.

I actually had a similar experience in a recent interview. I'll tell you on Tues.

-Deech

|RyanW|

Oct 1, 2012, 12:55:45 AM10/1/12
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Good luck Pete!

Scott A. Kampas

Oct 1, 2012, 2:25:09 AM10/1/12
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com

John Reskusich

Oct 1, 2012, 4:21:19 AM10/1/12
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com

Looks like something to spend some time on and work through..

Peter Lamonica

Oct 1, 2012, 8:29:18 AM10/1/12
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Very cool. Might have been useful to read _before_ my interviews. ;-)

-Pete

On Oct 1, 2012, at 1:25 AM, "Scott A. Kampas" <scott....@gmail.com> wrote:

> An interesting look into the workings of Google: https://static.googleusercontent.com/external_content/untrusted_dlcp/research.google.com/en/us/pubs/archive/38331.pdf

GeekTinker

Oct 2, 2012, 2:32:08 PM10/2/12
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com

Pete L.

Oct 2, 2012, 3:36:00 PM10/2/12
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Probably not... I'm pretty sure I'm not smart enough. I also do my best to not meta-interview quite so much as that.

-Pete