Weather Balloon Launch 2/15

Derek Sigler

Feb 5, 2015, 3:00:13 PM2/5/15
to ArchReactor
Good news! Testing has been successful. Dustin and I feel comfortable setting the launch date for Sunday, Feb. 15th!  Drop me a line if there are any questions.

Below you will find a brief itinerary and a few links.
We will be launching two balloons. With a launch cost of ~$400 we are asking everyone participating to consider making a $10 donation to the designated person at the launch. There's also talk of a 50-50 raffle for correctly guessing the max height.

A few notes:
It's pretty much an all day (10-6) commitment that involves logistics of traveling and carpooling. If you can't make the whole time we encourage you to wait for a launch when you can. There will be more.

There will be two points to meetup with us and figure out carpools: Arch Reactor or Damiansville, IL. Carpool! Carpool! Carpool! You may even make a new friend.

Bring $5-$10 more in you pocket for contributing to your driver's gas.

Itinerary:
9:30 meetup at Arch Reactor, load up, confirm checklists
10:00 Leave Arch Reactor
10:30 Arrive in Damiansville. If you live in IL, you may want to meetup with us here:
12:00 Targeted launch time
After balloons are out of sight we head to Nashville,IL and eat lunch til the balloon(s) burst.

From 1:30 to 6ish, depending upon success:
Head out to find balloons in as few cars as possible.
Return to Arch Reactor to review video and photos.

Links:
The pop at 104k feet from our most successful flight:

About 7 days out you can start checking weather balloon predictors like this:
with these parameters: 38.505450, -89.622043 100 launch altitude, 18:00 UTC Feb.15th, 25,000 m burst altitude. 5 m for up and down.

Dustin has blogged about the project:

AR4 (Derek) Balloon Tracker:

HAB-0 (Dustin) Balloon Tracker:

colleenf...@gmail.com

Feb 10, 2015, 7:51:27 AM2/10/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com, derek...@yahoo.com
On Thursday, February 5, 2015 at 2:00:13 PM UTC-6, Derek wrote:
> Good news! Testing has been successful. Dustin and I feel comfortable setting the launch date for Sunday, Feb. 15th!  Drop me a line if there are any questions.
>

> Below you will find a brief itinerary and a few links.
>

> We will be launching two balloons. With a launch cost of ~$400 we are
> asking everyone participating to consider making a $10 donation to the
> designated person at the launch. There's also talk of a 50-50 raffle
> for correctly guessing the max height.
>

> A few notes:
> It's
> pretty much an all day (10-6) commitment that involves logistics of
> traveling and carpooling. If you can't make the whole time we encourage
> you to wait for a launch when you can. There will be more.
>

> There will be two points to meetup with us and figure out carpools: Arch Reactor or Damiansville, IL. Carpool! Carpool! Carpool! You may even make a
> new friend.
>

> Bring $5-$10 more in you pocket for contributing to your driver's gas.
>

> Itinerary:
> 9:30 meetup at Arch Reactor, load up, confirm checklists
> 10:00 Leave Arch Reactor
> 10:30 Arrive in Damiansville. If you live in IL, you may want to meetup with us here:
> https://www.google.com/maps/place/207+Park+Ln,+Damiansville,+IL+62215/@38.5061055,-89.6217314,712m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x8876718b2592b39b:0xe6a0e23093655a34
> 12:00 Targeted launch timeAfter balloons are out of sight we head to Nashville,IL and eat lunch til the balloon(s) burst.
>

> From 1:30 to 6ish, depending upon success:Head out to find balloons in as few cars as possible.
> Return to Arch Reactor to review video and photos.
>

> Links:
> The pop at 104k feet from our most successful flight:
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/chankster/8195638262/
>

> About 7 days out you can start checking weather balloon predictors like this:
> http://predict.habhub.org
>
> with these parameters: 38.505450, -89.622043 100 launch altitude,
> 18:00 UTC Feb.15th, 25,000 m burst altitude. 5 m for up and down.
>

> Dustin has blogged about the project:
> http://mayfieldjones.com/?page_id=718
>

> AR4 (Derek) Balloon Tracker:
> http://aprs.fi/#!mt=roadmap&z=12&call=a%2FKD0PFM-11&timerange=3600&tail=3600
>

> HAB-0 (Dustin) Balloon Tracker:
> http://aprs.fi/#!mt=roadmap&z=12&call=a%2FKE0BVB-11&timerange=3600&tail=3600

Hey Derek,

I haven't been able to get back to Arch Reactor for awhile and jusrjust decided to check in. Glad to see you're getting the next balloon up! Wouldn't want to miss that

Colleen

Derek Sigler

Feb 10, 2015, 9:26:06 AM2/10/15
to colleenf...@gmail.com, arch-r...@googlegroups.com
You should show up!

colleenf...@gmail.com

Feb 10, 2015, 6:18:19 PM2/10/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com, colleenf...@gmail.com, derek...@yahoo.com
Thats the plan!

th...@attackvector.org

Feb 12, 2015, 12:11:52 PM2/12/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com, colleenf...@gmail.com, derek...@yahoo.com
40ft diameter balloon and Raspberry Pi B+ arrived in the mail today. (tx amzn smile)

Derek Sigler

Feb 13, 2015, 10:13:51 PM2/13/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com, colleenf...@gmail.com
Cancelled.

Due to it being cloudy, cold, windy and having projections that put our balloons in Indiana,  we have decided to delay the launch.  We're rescheduling for 2/28.    That weekend looks warmer, but still as cloudy as you'd expect in February.
Thanks,
-derek

colleenf...@gmail.com

Feb 15, 2015, 6:37:43 PM2/15/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com, colleenf...@gmail.com, derek...@yahoo.com
Faa is going to be opening up Airways up for comertial drone use. Anyway Arch reactor could get a license so we could fly the balloon payload back closer to the launch site?

Frank Kallal

Feb 15, 2015, 7:08:31 PM2/15/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com, colleenf...@gmail.com, Derek Sigler
I think there are Laws about Non-professional Flight at those Altitudes aren't there?

Fk

Thom Hack

Feb 16, 2015, 11:40:37 AM2/16/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
FAA Air Information Manual (AIM) on the bookshelf.
All regulations listed current as of 2014.

​-​
Re:
​​
member
​_hack
history:
​​
Phrack#42:13

Preserve your right to privacy.
When replying to this email, I encourage
you to make use of PGP compliant encryption

colleenf...@gmail.com

Feb 18, 2015, 1:18:38 AM2/18/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com, th...@attackvector.org
Just as an FYI, I wasn't thinking for this launch, but for some future launch as yet to be determined. The current FAA ruling that came out on Sunday requires flights to stay 5 miles away from airports, below 400ft, and done within line of site of the operator. But those are just beginning rules while the industry is sorting itself out.

If the prediction software is good, and the chase crew can get close enough with the GPS to get a visual of the payload as it's coming down, it may be possible to engage a "dormant" drone at 400ft and guide it to the chase crew, keeping it away from a more dangerous landing in a lake or up a tree.

On Monday, February 16, 2015 at 10:40:37 AM UTC-6, Thom Hack wrote:
> FAA Air Information Manual (AIM) on the bookshelf.
> All regulations listed current as of 2014.

> ​-​Re:
> ​​member
> ​_hackhistory:
> ​​Phrack#42:13

EschewObfuscation

Feb 18, 2015, 5:50:49 AM2/18/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com, th...@attackvector.org, colleenf...@gmail.com
Would a strobe light on the balloon, possibly radio or altitude triggered, increase the radius at which it could be spotted by chase crew?

Xsfx2000

Feb 18, 2015, 7:11:42 AM2/18/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com

Even better than the retroreflective film I donated,  but both would be awesome...

Chris Weiss

Feb 18, 2015, 9:39:39 AM2/18/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
or a power line...

I believe previous boxes had both reflective tape and blinking LEDs.

Kamikaze Joe

Feb 18, 2015, 9:47:09 AM2/18/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com

Those new rules the FAA released are for commercial drones.  Derrek is launching a high altitude balloon, not a drone or UAV.  It's an important distinction to make because different rules apply.  If you have method to guide the balloon and payload remotely, then it becomes a UAV.

Tom Blevins

Feb 26, 2015, 9:11:18 PM2/26/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com, derek...@yahoo.com
The Predictor has you landing again in Indiana - Whats the chances of a cancel and resechdule cause I am unable to attend this Saturday and I really want to see the launch not just the evidence video.

Derek Sigler

Feb 26, 2015, 11:44:50 PM2/26/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
We'll make a final call tomorrow.  But I'd say 90% we cancel and not release another date till we get a weekend above 45.
-derek

Morganism

Feb 26, 2015, 11:48:40 PM2/26/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com, derek...@yahoo.com
What? Do you have something against hoosiers? If I am going to spend all day chasing a balloon, Indiana is not that far away. With that being said, I would welcome a reschedule to a weekend that does not include recitals for both of my kids.

On Thursday, February 5, 2015 at 2:00:13 PM UTC-6, Derek wrote:
> Good news! Testing has been successful. Dustin and I feel comfortable setting the launch date for Sunday, Feb. 15th!  Drop me a line if there are any questions.
>

> Below you will find a brief itinerary and a few links.
>

> We will be launching two balloons. With a launch cost of ~$400 we are
> asking everyone participating to consider making a $10 donation to the
> designated person at the launch. There's also talk of a 50-50 raffle
> for correctly guessing the max height.
>

> A few notes:
> It's
> pretty much an all day (10-6) commitment that involves logistics of
> traveling and carpooling. If you can't make the whole time we encourage
> you to wait for a launch when you can. There will be more.
>

> There will be two points to meetup with us and figure out carpools: Arch Reactor or Damiansville, IL. Carpool! Carpool! Carpool! You may even make a
> new friend.
>

> Bring $5-$10 more in you pocket for contributing to your driver's gas.
>

> Itinerary:
> 9:30 meetup at Arch Reactor, load up, confirm checklists
> 10:00 Leave Arch Reactor
> 10:30 Arrive in Damiansville. If you live in IL, you may want to meetup with us here:
> https://www.google.com/maps/place/207+Park+Ln,+Damiansville,+IL+62215/@38.5061055,-89.6217314,712m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x8876718b2592b39b:0xe6a0e23093655a34
> 12:00 Targeted launch timeAfter balloons are out of sight we head to Nashville,IL and eat lunch til the balloon(s) burst.

Scott Kampas

Feb 26, 2015, 11:50:57 PM2/26/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com

For what it's worth, the later out of winter and into spring one goes, the less strong the winds aloft are likely to be, and thus the balloon will travel less far. I haven't been around much lately, due to so much else going on, but I'd like to change that and these launches are to my interests.

Frank Kallal

Feb 26, 2015, 11:56:47 PM2/26/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I'ld be happy for a Reschedule as well, As this weekend was tied up for me Pretty hard and I'ld love to come out for the launch.

Fk

colleenf...@gmail.com

Feb 27, 2015, 6:30:11 PM2/27/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
On Thursday, February 26, 2015 at 10:56:47 PM UTC-6, Frank Kallal wrote:
> I'ld be happy for a Reschedule as well, As this weekend was tied up for me Pretty hard and I'ld love to come out for the launch.
>
> Fk
>

> On Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 10:50 PM, Scott Kampas <scott....@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> For what it's worth, the later out of winter and into spring one goes, the less strong the winds aloft are likely to be, and thus the balloon will travel less far. I haven't been around much lately, due to so much else going on, but I'd like to change that and these launches are to my interests.
>

> On Feb 26, 2015 10:44 PM, "'Derek Sigler' via Arch Reactor" <arch-r...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>

> We'll make a final call tomorrow.  But I'd say 90% we cancel and not release another date till we get a weekend above 45.
> -derek
>

> 12:00 Targeted launch timeAfter balloons are out of sight we head to Nashville,IL and eat lunch til the balloon(s) burst.
I'd like to know too, my sister is going to pick up my mom tonight so I have the day free tomorrow. She's been bugging me to let her know if she should still come over. Cold dosen't bother me, just need to know one way or tbe other

xsfx...@hotmail.com

Feb 27, 2015, 7:17:09 PM2/27/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I'm in- if we're on for tomorrow.

Derek Sigler

Feb 27, 2015, 8:06:28 PM2/27/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com

We are not going to launch tomorrow.  A series of cold weather, sick people and bad luck.  We will post a date in the near future when was have nice predicted weather on a weekend.
Thanks,
-derek

I've spent my max 15 minutes searching for the thread on how to delete/add events from the AR calendar.

Chris Weiss

Feb 28, 2015, 11:23:54 AM2/28/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
the thread is stickied on the sanction group. you can only delete
events that you created, so it's a non-issue, Travis has to remove it.

Travis Megee

Feb 28, 2015, 11:35:35 AM2/28/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Done.  Also can be done by any board member.

Travis

On Sat, Feb 28, 2015 at 10:23 AM, Chris Weiss <cwe...@gmail.com> wrote:
the thread is stickied on the sanction group.  you can only delete
events that you created, so it's a non-issue, Travis has to remove it.

EschewObfuscation

Feb 28, 2015, 1:37:33 PM2/28/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com, derek...@yahoo.com
Good call, emergencyemail.org is predicting 5-7 inches overnight.

On Friday, February 27, 2015 at 7:06:28 PM UTC-6, Derek wrote:

We are not going to launch tomorrow...

Thom Hack

Mar 2, 2015, 6:07:32 PM3/2/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
FYI: http://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/flight_info/aeronav/digital_products/dtpp/search/results/?cycle=1502&ident=CPS
Replace "CPS" with "STL" and you get the same data except from Lambert instead of from Sauget, Illinois.
You're welcome.

​-​
Re:
​​
member
​_hack
history:
​​
Phrack#42:13

Preserve your right to privacy.
When replying to this email, I encourage
you to make use of PGP compliant encryption

Those new rules the FAA released are for commercial drones.  Derrek is launching a high altitude balloon, not a drone or UAV.  It's an important distinction to make because different rules apply.  If you have method to guide the balloon and payload remotely, then it becomes a UAV.

David Diederich

Mar 3, 2015, 7:59:44 AM3/3/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
The above FAA link is for standard departure and arrival patterns for pilots flying IFR (instruments).  VFR (visual) pilots normally do not follow the established departure and arrival patterns and can depart or arrive from the airport in any direction.