Spiceworks Meetup

Chris Weiss

Sep 28, 2012, 2:54:49 PM9/28/12
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Going to try out hosting a Spiceworks "SpiceCorps" meetup next
Thursday, Oct 4 at 6PM. Everyone is welcome, and I'd be nice if a
couple more AR people were there to help promote us.

The meetup page is at http://community.spiceworks.com/meeting/show/443

Steve Rutter

Sep 28, 2012, 3:14:32 PM9/28/12
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I'm still confused about what this is. Quick synopsis of SpiceWorks?

Ryan/baslisks

Sep 28, 2012, 3:16:54 PM9/28/12
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com

It management software. I've used it managing hotel networks. Mostly telling people I can't help them.

Chris Weiss

Sep 28, 2012, 3:22:11 PM9/28/12
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
It's an inventory and helpdesk package. Runs on a windows server, is
free (ad supported), and agentless. It can probe the LAN using
windows domain permissions and wmi to get hardware and software
inventory of all domain PC's, and you can add extra auth tokens for
non-domain PC's, printers, routers, even ssh for linux systems. the
helpdesk part is a rather simple one, but includes email integration.
it even automatically archives windows and office COA keys, so when a
systems goes poof and you can't find it's office key, you can look it
up in spiceworks. And of course, it has alerts for things like low
disk space, and "blacklisted" software installs.

Steve Rutter

Sep 28, 2012, 3:32:49 PM9/28/12
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Sounds interesting.

Chris Weiss

Oct 5, 2012, 10:16:23 AM10/5/12
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
so the meetup went well, only 5 people total, and no presenter, so we
talked about some projects like using helpdesk software to
auto-generate new tickets for followups when a ticket is closed with a
certain status, and swapped I.T. war stories. it was fun

|RyanW|

Oct 5, 2012, 6:02:54 PM10/5/12
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I'm glad it went well.