Harvesting retro/vintage switches, dials, indicator lights from scrapped equipment?

Greer Carper

Oct 4, 2012, 1:33:20 PM10/4/12
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I'd like to know if anyone here has experience with harvesting retro switches, dials, indicator lights, and other interface related components from old equipment, be it communication devices, receivers, testing equipment, control panels, etc.

I'm aware there are number of military surplus warehouses that have this kind of equipment that would contain these components that sell the complete systems for a wide range of prices, but I was curious if there are other sources of equipment on the cheap available or alternatively a web site that sells just the retro components?

I saw something recently that reminded me of the battle tech pods from the 90s and thought it would be interesting to look into building a battle tech pod with a more 60-70s military tech interface feel.

George Fetters

Oct 4, 2012, 2:00:19 PM10/4/12
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I have been to GSS auctions and you can get great deals on lots but you usually bid by the pallot.  Also you should be through and read descriptions carefully.  I once found an auction for a pallot of oscilloscope's that were marked as slightly radioactive.

There are several GSS auctions around, the biggest I have found is the one at Fort Leonardwood.

The auction I would most like to go to is a yearly auction the USPS has up in Minnesota?   I think its Minnesota.  Anyway you bid on the box you dont get to open them and then you have to take whats in it.  The ultimate Bag of Crap experience.