Kombucha fermentation demo

kwalta

Oct 3, 2012, 4:51:05 PM10/3/12
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I have lots of SCOBYs (Symbiotic Colony of Bacteria and Yeast) from making kombucha tea/vinegar. I thought having a demo would be a good way to find them new homes. If anyone is interested in a demo or some free SCOBYs reply here and we'll come up with a date and time.

I think Ryan H wanted to make some Club-Mate so that could be worked in too!

-Kim

HoyeBoye

Oct 4, 2012, 1:44:24 AM10/4/12
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
This Ryan H would love a kombucha demo. My schedule is terrible right now, so weekends would be the only time I could do it. Perhaps the demo could be recorded and made available online?

Kim Walta

Oct 4, 2012, 10:06:16 AM10/4/12
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
We should come up with some sort of Ryan Numbering System. Or have each of you choose a seven dwarf name. :P

October is pretty full of halloween goodness so how about Saturday, Nov 3rd. That'll give me enough time to make some more SCOBYs and maybe acquire a few more items to make kits for people.

-Kim

Ryan/baslisks

Oct 4, 2012, 10:15:18 AM10/4/12
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I respond to baslisks, Ryan, jimmy, and RC.

John Reskusich

Oct 5, 2012, 6:08:59 AM10/5/12
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
That would be a pretty cool demo....
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/arch-reactor/-/6LrprjtuWh4J.

Derek Sigler

Oct 5, 2012, 10:59:50 AM10/5/12
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
My wife is big into kombucha.  We've had this scoby (picture attached) a little over a year now.  She swears by it and loves it.  Myself, I'm a Diet Coke fan.  :(
-derek

Oct 5, 2012, 11:40:28 AM10/5/12
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com, Derek Sigler
Dat SCOBY...

Have you tried some of the flavored, fizzy stuff with a double fermination? I like it better than soda, but I can't seem to make enough to keep up with my soda consumption. :P

-Kim

George Fetters

Oct 5, 2012, 11:50:52 AM10/5/12
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
What does it taste like?  And what are the health benefits to drinking it?

kwalta

Oct 5, 2012, 12:20:18 PM10/5/12
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
How long you leave the SCOBY in the sweetened tea (black/green/etc) alters the taste. If you take the SCOBY out early and stop the brewing process, it's still pretty sweet. It has a cider-y flavor. You can add flavorings with the finished tea for a second brewing which makes it really fizzy like soda. I like to put in minced ginger and honey.

I'll bring some samples for people to taste.

As for benefits? From what I've read it may aid in digestion. I wouldn't trust the hippie sites that claim it's a cure for cancer. There isn't enough studies to support the claims.

Don Ellis

Oct 5, 2012, 1:02:27 PM10/5/12
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I've been hearing a lot lately on NPR about how much effect intestinal microflora (and in other parts of the body) has on overall health, and practices that are altering microflora content are having severe health  consequences.

Bringing therapeutic bacteria introduction to market will first involve investigations into safety and effectiveness. In the meantime, researchers are really enthusiastic about changes in body function they observe when the right bacteria are introduced into people with problems. Most important example they gave was bacteria content in the nose contrasted between people with chronic rhinitis and those without. Also, introduction of bacteria into one part of the body can have effects elsewhere. I think one example was eating something like yogurt and having effects in the joints.

--Don Ellis

kwalta

Oct 15, 2012, 2:41:23 PM10/15/12
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Added the Kombucha demo to the calendar for Saturday, Nov 3 1-3pm. If you would like a starter 'shroom, bring along a plastic or glass tupperware container, no metal.

-Kim

Amberly

Oct 16, 2012, 11:58:36 AM10/16/12
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Ok, I'll bite...what is Kombucha and why would I want it?

Amberly

Oct 16, 2012, 12:19:01 PM10/16/12
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com

It's a DIY, fizzy drink that is cheap and easy to make. You most likely have everything you need to make it in your kitchen.

kwalta

Oct 31, 2012, 7:09:11 PM10/31/12
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Kombucha demo this Saturday at 1-3pm! https://www.facebook.com/events/497404293611748/

If you want to take home a culture bring a glass or plastic tupperware.

-Kim

Chris Weiss

Nov 3, 2012, 4:43:22 PM11/3/12
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Someone has message'd the facebook place admin asking about getting a
scoby and tips, what should I tell them?

Ryan/baslisks

Nov 3, 2012, 5:08:26 PM11/3/12
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I thought this was sunday...

kwalta

Nov 3, 2012, 5:20:30 PM11/3/12
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I'm all out of SCOBYs. I wrote up this how-to for the demo you can link them. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lWct8iD8KtkYKEmLDzjwcacQDJMEEWoMpWfGoU43S7w/edit

There's instructions in that link, but they can start brewing by just buying a bottle of the raw kombucha at a health food store (whole foods, Harvest grocery, etc) and using it as a starter. There's usually enough yeast in the bottle to make enough cellulose and survive brewing.

-Kim

Derek Sigler

Nov 3, 2012, 5:37:56 PM11/3/12
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
They can have half of my SCOBY.  I'll respond to them.
-derek

Sent: Saturday, November 3, 2012 4:20 PM
Subject: Re: (Arch Reactor) Re: Kombucha fermentation demo