Thanks to all of those who helped reorganize last night - and to Niels for creating a map of the space.

GeekTinker

Oct 3, 2012, 12:17:55 PM10/3/12
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com

Thanks to Niels with the help of Daniel, Lloyd, Sergio, and others - after the meeting last night the space started to look a lot more like this to scale map that Niels made.

The six work benches in the center of the work area could be used as a large meeting table now. It looks so much less cluttered and open. I wish I had taken before and after photos.

nfolken

Oct 7, 2012, 4:32:55 PM10/7/12
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com

I've been taking a bunch of measurements and put together a CAD drawing of the space. It isn't finished yet, and its only accurate to within a few inches. I put together a proposal for a slightly different layout, showed it to bunch of people to get some feedback, and then last week we made the change! Here are a few of the big changes and the thinking behind them:

  • Used the Cubicle Divider Walls to separate the social Lounge/Bar area from the Hacking/Making area.
  • Expand and better define a specific location where donated parts and equipment can be left
  • Expand the long table in the center of the hacking area to promote group hacking
  • Add a pin-board by the entrance to fill with helpful info for new visitors
  • Rearrange the Bar  area (brought in another counter, but can't decide which layout to use)

Fundraisers are great, but I think increasing and maintaining membership is better, especially in the long run. I've noticed a number of new people stopping by and checking out the space, but I think only one has come back a second time. I think maintaining a slightly more professional appearance might help sign up new members. I know a lot of us see the space for all the hidden treasures just waiting in all the old equipment laying around, but I wouldn't be surprised if some would see it as a cluttered, messy clubhouse. I hope this layout better defines the different areas of club, and I think that if we keep lounge and bar area tidy we could make a good first impression to visitors.

Andrew Ricke

Oct 7, 2012, 4:57:08 PM10/7/12
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Does your counter match the style of the counter I brought in as well?  It's not curved like your design but we could make it work.

That's for the photo of the layout. I have written up a bunch during my travels and will get it to the the website when I return to a normal PC.

Andrew
-Sent from my iPhone

GeekTinker

Oct 7, 2012, 5:08:10 PM10/7/12
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I have two thick plywood (flooring) topped pallets that I rescued from a dumpster a few weeks ago that could be used to make additional shelving for the donated parts area.  I might need the assistance of somebody with better carpentry skills than my own, but I think we have enough wood to build another set of strong shelves.

Gene

On Oct 7, 2012, at 4:32 PM, nfolken <niels...@gmail.com> wrote:

I've been taking a bunch of measurements and put together a CAD drawing of the space. It isn't finished yet, and its only accurate to within a few inches. I put together a proposal for a slightly different layout, showed it to bunch of people to get some feedback, and then last week we made the change! Here are a few of the big changes and the thinking behind them:

  • Expand and better define a specific location where donated parts and equipment can be left

nfolken

Oct 7, 2012, 5:11:11 PM10/7/12
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
No, its a tall counter with glass bricks and orange rope light. I think I put the counter-top that was left near the door with the rest of the vertical storage. Like I said, we tried to tidy up a bit as well.

Also, a quick apology for moving a few projects around. We tried not to disturb the obvious, big, ongoing projects. However, there were also quite a few messes left behind from old projects and random stuff tucked into weird corners and under tables that weren't labled in any way. Could we all try and keep things a little more tidy by keeping things in your designated place on the shelves, or if you need to leave a big, ongoing project out on a table, try to keep it tidy when you leave at the end of the night any maybe label it?

Derek Sigler

Oct 7, 2012, 9:56:55 PM10/7/12
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Tonight is my first time in the space in two weeks.  What you all have done is amazing!  The wall dividers really help.  Awesome job to Niels and everyone that helped.  This amount of open space is great.  Seriously, Thank You!
-derek