Prom progressin'

kwalta

Sep 17, 2012, 6:58:51 PM9/17/12
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Prom is soooon (SEPT 29), aren't you all pumped?! Do you have your tux/dress, date, corsages, spy gadgets, and limo ready?

Things to do
Buy your ticket
Those of you who are coming please purchase your ticket by putting cash into an envelope with your name and date's/entourage's names on it into the cash box at AR. The names will be added to the guest list. Or purchase through http://licencetoprom.eventbrite.com/. You can also pay at the door.

RSVP and Share on facebook:
If you're coming, rsvp on the facebook event ( https://www.facebook.com/events/334100390015338/ ) and share with your friends!

Decorations
Needed - Some 11inch turquoise, white, clear, black, orange balloons (100-200) and 55gal trash bags. They will be blown up during the Decorations build, Sept 26 at 7pm. After blowing them up they'll be stored in the 55gal trash bags so they can be transported to the event. We're going to attempt to make an archway and some vertical columns hung from the ceiling on site.

Needed - Borrow christmas lights for standing prom girl silhouette

Needed - Small cash donation to make a letterpress plate with the new AR logo. The minimum order for a plate is $30. Those 'lucky' donors can have a custom design added to the sheet. All the plates next to the letterpress were made out of one sheet, so there's room for additional designs. Send me a gchat/email if you have something in mind.

To Build - AR logos to be hung up on the walls. Not sure if people are interested in making these. Cut out some canvas, hang on the wall, project the AR logo, trace, cut out shapes, paint. I can provide the logo file, just ask if you would like to take this on.

To Build - Hanging tubs with lights inside. (Gene)

To Build - Martini menus construction. (Ryan Hoye)

Volunteers
We need some help with the above mentioned decorations and with setup/tear down at the event. I'm hoping that we can setup earlier in the week, otherwise we'll be doing it the day of the prom.

Flyers
I'm have some flyers with more information. https://dl.dropbox.com/u/6395748/prom-poster.pdf

Please chime in if there's something I've forgotten.

-Kim

GeekTinker

Sep 21, 2012, 7:13:00 AM9/21/12
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I took the liberty of jumping into Meetup.com for the St. Louis area and finding several large groups to promote our event with.  There is a feature that allows you to send an email to the organizers of any MeetUp group and ask that they promote your event within their group.  If all of the organizers of the groups that I sent an invitation to promote our event, literally thousands of people will see the invitation in the next few days.  Hopefully, that will bring a few more people in to see what this party is all about!

Gene

GeekTinker

Sep 21, 2012, 7:24:45 AM9/21/12
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Here is a list of several of the Meetup groups that I sent invitations to:

Social Happenings and Goodtimes (S.H.A.G.)
The Saint Louis Social Co-op
Meet Me In St. Louis
Metro East Friends
New to the Lou - St. Louis Transplants
The Single Minglers (25-35)
The St. Louis Board Game Meetup Group
Live Life to the Fullest
Singles 20s, 30s & 40s
South City Girls
Over 50, Single & Dating
St. Louis Young Couples

If you find one that is not on this list, by all means, send them an invite.  Here is a template that I used:

Invitation for your Meetup to a spy themed event on September 29th at 8 pm in St. Louis, Missouri

Body:

We would like to invite the members of your Meetup, ___________________________, to the spy themed "Licence to Prom" event sponsored by Arch Reactor in St. Louis, Missouri on September 29 at 8 pm. The description is below and here is the link to the Event announcement on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/334100390015338/

Suave and charming agents, shrewd, calculating spymasters, brilliant and deadly inventors and femme fatales who possess dangerous eyes above beckoning smiles; this is License to Prom. Come mingle with tinkerers and laboratory technicians who will astound you with wonderful and deadly contraptions, agents who are as good with casual conversation as they are with daring action, damsels whose sultry complexions will take your breath away - perhaps literally. Join us in a night of drinks and dance, where even the brightest light can hide dark designs.

Your mission, if you choose to accept it, involves reconnaissance and intelligence-gathering:
-Infiltrate Archreactor prom
-Observe a Rubens' tube and verify rumors that it manipulates fire using sound waves
-Sample Twinkies dipped in liquid nitrogen to assess the heart-health risk of frozen pastries
-Study internet-disabled Archreactor communications being created with ancient hand-built letterpress technology
-Redirect the Archreactor mission by suggesting classes the organization should offer

Disguise: Blend in to your surroundings by dressing as a prom attendee in semi-formal attire. Elaborate costumes, accessories that cleverly conceal spy tools, and fake mustaches are optional but encouraged. As with any deep cover assignment, martini purchase is recommended.

Destination: 2720 Cherokee
Mission begins: Saturday, September 29, 8pm
Mission ends: Sept. 30, 12am
Check out the event website: http://archreactor.org/prom

$20 Entry // Cash Bar // 21+ Up
Pay for your ticket by dropping by Arch Reactor when we're open @ArchReactorSTL, buy tickets athttp://licencetoprom.eventbrite.com/ or pay at the door! We'll have squares so you can pay by card.

Archreactor is a non-profit, St. Louis-based DIY/Maker/Hackerspace created in 2009 that utilizes technology, programming, and ingenuity to foster the spirit of community in the creation of their many projects and inventions. Proceeds from Licence to Prom will be used to fund upcoming projects and community outreach efforts including introductory computer, electronics, and programming classes.

Get involved at Arch Reactor by coming to a Tuesday night meeting, or to an event posted on the calendar.

http://archreactor.org/

Sincerely,

Gene Jordan

John Reskusich

Sep 21, 2012, 7:40:51 AM9/21/12
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com

Good job, gene!!!

GeekTinker

Sep 21, 2012, 7:54:26 AM9/21/12
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I received a reply from one of the organizers already:

"Thanks for the invite! I have friends in town from KC that weekend and we are going to Dancing in the Street and Taste of St. Louis, so I am unable to make it an official event, but I sent out the information to the ladies in an e-mail, put it as a note on our calendar, and started up a Discussion on the Message Boards. I defineitly would be interested in something like this in the future. I do plan events out around three months in advance, so more of a heads up would be appreciated, can you put me on a mailling list?

Thanks!"

So although we aren't an "official" event for them, we did make their calendar for any of their members who might be interested.  We should keep this group in mind for any other events that we plan in the future.

Gene

Kim Walta

Sep 21, 2012, 10:30:37 AM9/21/12
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Awesome idea gene!

I shot a message to ALT.NET, Why not social club, and code until dawn. Now it won't let me send any more messages today. :)

-Kim

GeekTinker

Sep 22, 2012, 1:31:06 AM9/22/12
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I used several different email addresses to send three or four invites for each one.

Yeah, I guess I was "hacking" the system, but it's not like I was spamming the same group repeatedly.

;)

John Reskusich

Sep 22, 2012, 4:27:17 AM9/22/12
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I believe I have picked up at least 4 people committed to coming in
the last day.

Hey, has anyone added us to the kdhx event calendar or the newspaper's
event calendar?

John
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/arch-reactor/-/6gq2jTr3eaAJ.

Kim Walta

Sep 22, 2012, 10:38:02 AM9/22/12
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com

I submitted to the kdhx cal a month ago. I didn't check if it was there recently.

George Fetters

Sep 22, 2012, 3:14:52 PM9/22/12
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I think it is there.

Robert Ward

Sep 22, 2012, 6:41:34 PM9/22/12
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
There are some more posters at the space, feel free to hand them out this week.

Also, if anyone has any christmas lights we could use during the event, please bring them to the space.  Ideally we're looking for plain white lights, but color ones are okay as well.

HoyeBoye

Sep 23, 2012, 11:50:14 AM9/23/12
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com, rob...@rtward.com
Preference for strand color? Green or white?

Kim Walta

Sep 23, 2012, 12:14:40 PM9/23/12
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com

Uhh white!

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/arch-reactor/-/GNUh4LbPVAEJ.

Deech

Sep 23, 2012, 5:19:02 PM9/23/12
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I've got some lights I'll bring in and leave on the table for you.

-Deech

John Reskusich

Sep 23, 2012, 6:15:11 PM9/23/12
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com

I have some green ones if you still need some.  I will bring them in Tuesday night....

kwalta

Sep 24, 2012, 3:56:26 PM9/24/12
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Posted to three more meetup groups.

Singles 20s, 30s, 40s
Social Happenings and Good Times
New to the Lou

Please keep posting at meetup. It seems to be working.

John Reskusich

Sep 24, 2012, 3:56:50 PM9/24/12
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Awesome!!!!!
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/arch-reactor/-/uopiWKxhz4YJ.

GeekTinker

Sep 24, 2012, 8:13:05 PM9/24/12
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Did you miss my list above?  These three were already on it.  I hope they don't mind getting it twice!  ;)

Gene

Kim Walta

Sep 24, 2012, 8:59:29 PM9/24/12
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com