Possible source of income for Arch Reactor

GeekTinker

Sep 27, 2012, 9:26:28 AM9/27/12
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
This link is to a very simple website for STL Computer which claims to buy old computers and computer parts, either in whole or by the pound.  This includes power cords, wire, and circuit boards.  If we could collect enough of these items to recycle them through this local company, I think we could generate some funds for Arch Reactor.  That is, unless somebody can think of something to do with them that would generate more funds.  It would probably keep the space more clear of useless items that are taking up space.  We would need an area set aside for holding these items until there was enough to sell it to this company.  I found the post on Craigslist.

http://stlcomputer.tk/1_10_Buy-computers.html

Gene

GeekTinker

Sep 27, 2012, 9:29:06 AM9/27/12
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Here is another add from Craigslist that might be worth checking into, especially since he will come and pick it up: http://stlouis.craigslist.org/wan/3214069015.html

Gene

Electronic Recycling, Circuit Boards, E-Scrap, Computers, Cash Payed - $1000 (Mo and IL Will Pick Up)

Well like the title says i will pay cash for your e=scrap! I have good prices, for all of you that don't have a place to take your electronic scrap give me a call and we can work with you to get you a GREAT PRICE. Also if you already have a place you sell to it could not hurt to get a quote! I can not tell you how many people are selling boards for way to cheap. Ok so this is how it works you email or text me pictures and let me know weights does not have to be exact weights but an idea. We will buy anything that is electronic scrap from low and high grade boards to plastic (YES PLASTIC), e-shred, computers whole or parts, satellite receiver boxes, servers, power supply's, hard drives, electric motors, batteries, ram & processors. The more bulk you have the better price i can give you!!!! So email or text me pictures you can call also just know i can't price boards and such without pictures. 1-314-920-five three four nine

Also if you are a Resale Shop, Scrap Yard, Computer Repair Shop, And you would like to buy or except donations of electronic scrap i can come set you up on a weekly pick up, And if you are buying i can show you how to buy and how to make the most money for your time!
We work with allot of resale shops and all you have to do is throw all of your broken or unsold electronics (anything that plugs in or has batteries ) in a box and we pick it up weigh it and pay you!
As for scrap yards i can come out and show you haw to buy scrap boards the difference between high grade and low grade low grade. The scrap yards i work with now are surprised at the extra income that is generated by electronics for them!

NON PROFIT / FUNDRAISER - Also if you would like to set up and recycling drive for your school, church, community, We do that to. We will come out on what ever day you want to have the drive collect the items that people bring in and then you get payed for all that people bring in on that day! Good way to make some money for your church!

THANKS AND HOPE I CAN MAKE YOU SOME MONEY!!!!!!!!!
  • Location: Mo and IL Will Pick Up

Chris Weiss

Sep 27, 2012, 9:33:43 AM9/27/12
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
that website is kinda scary. win7 for $20? free MS office with a $20
windows install? "hump"?

GeekTinker

Sep 27, 2012, 10:03:34 AM9/27/12
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I saw those things, too.  I'm not planning on buying anything from that website. If he pays good $$ for stuff we were going to toss out I'd ignore the site that was obviously developed by a middle school adolescent.

The second CL post does seem more legitimate / reliable though.

Ben West

Sep 27, 2012, 11:37:20 AM9/27/12
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
The vaguely spammy nature of that craigslist ad is suspicious.
Likewise, no email address, phone, or website offered by the seller,
just the anonymized email provided by craigslist.

There are unfortunately electronics scrappers who do not recycle
responsibly. They often just collect scrap to load up pallets /
containers, and then ship them off to somewhere in the Far East to be
picked apart in the cheapest (and frequently least safe) way possible.
Or, they just dump the scrap in a landfill and keep the recycling
fees charged.

http://www.environmentalleader.com/2009/06/11/epa-investigates-electronics-recycling-fraud/

I would recommend sticking to known & respected recyclers, e.g. WITS
at http://witsinc.org/
> --

Ben West
m...@benwest.name

Ben West

Sep 27, 2012, 12:30:24 PM9/27/12
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
As an alternative to using AR's space to just store stuff for later
resale / recycling (which may just exacerbate current problem of the
space accumulating stuff), what about using the 3D printers to
fabricate widgets for sale?

I realize the 3D printers are always in fluctuating states of
operation, but this might better take advantage of AR's resources and
talents, while also creating incentive to keep the machines in regular
repair (or just buy new machines). Also, I'm guessing this would make
AR the *only* group in St. Louis doing this.

Examples:

- Raspberry enclosures
http://www.shapeways.com/model/486999

- Novelty iPhone acoustic amplifiers
http://www.shapeways.com/model/435708/ishark-gramophone.html

- Mecha chess pieces
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:19733

- Assault rifles (*)
http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2012-07/working-assault-rifle-made-3-d-printer

* Kidding
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/arch-reactor/-/g9BrxOQinxIJ.

daskr...@gmail.com

Sep 27, 2012, 1:35:07 PM9/27/12
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com, m...@benwest.name
Yeah selling firearm receivers would be a no no sans the appropriate licenses, although the primary reason why I'm a community member of AR is to eventually use the dirty shop to build a few rifles from kits.

Firearms parts along with other specialty hobby parts can be sold for great money but the physical property requirements may be too demanding for the 3d printers we have available. Most firearm parts are made out of aluminum using cnc machines or some polymer/plastic using mostly injection molding, although some using vacuum molding.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2011/10/10/3d-printing-is-not-about-to-put-magpul-out-of-business/

GeekTinker

Sep 27, 2012, 2:57:39 PM9/27/12
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com, m...@benwest.name
Yes, I get that first website is over the top on the odd scale and sketchy at best.  However, he's not charging recycling fees, he's offering to pay money for the items listed.

My point is, if he can do it, we can find a local trusted place that will pay us for copper wire in the same way that people recycle aluminum cans.  We can cut out the middle man and find a local place where we can do this ourselves.

I don't know why, but I never realized that recyclers will pay for copper wire, lead, etc.  I probably have enough scrap power cords sitting in boxes at my house to earn a few months worth of membership fees.  If we are throwing things away that can be recycled for $$, then we are missing out on a revenue stream.

Gene

GeekTinker

Sep 27, 2012, 4:52:59 PM9/27/12
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com, m...@benwest.name
Here is a current, local price list for some items they pay for at a local recycler.  Without really trying, we could produce pounds of copper wire at $3 per pound.  Any other raw metals that we weren't usable for something else could get recycled for $$, too.

http://altonmaterials.com/clientdocs/price_list.pdf

While checking out the WITS, Inc website, I did find a Revenue Sharing Program mentioned.  I sent off an email to the appropriate party to find out if this is still a viable program and what we would need to do to apply to be a part of it.

Gene

John Reskusich

Sep 27, 2012, 7:22:43 PM9/27/12
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com

Not the only group.  I have a small company that did custom 3d printing.   But, it's a different thing....