telemetry messages are bothering

avk

Dec 4, 2013, 4:37:41 AM12/4/13
to aprx-s...@googlegroups.com
Hello All,

First of all, I should say that aprx is a great software, thanks Matti for creating it!

Though some hams in Russia are experiencing the issue with telemetry messages.
I mean not APRS packets with 'T' (telemetry) type but telemetry data sent as ordinary APRS messages.
To be more specific, I mean messages sent from 'telemetry_labeltx()' function in telemetry.c file.

The problem is that many radios (for example, Yaesu VX-8R/FTM-350, Kenwood TH-D72) receive not only packets addressed to <callsign>-<SSID> pair assigned to them but all packets addressed to <callsign>, doesn't matter which SSID they have.

So it turns out that we are bothered by messages from our own iGates when we travel with a turned-on radio. Even we disable RF telemetry sending, then these messages are transmitted by some other Tx iGates as currently there is no way to turn off their sending to APRS-IS servers.

So some parameter turning on/off telemetry data sending to APRS-IS servers would be really nice. I think it would also be useful for some other people.

Thank you in advance,

avk a.k.a. UH3ACK

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Andrey Morgunov

Dec 7, 2013, 9:12:55 AM12/7/13
to aprx-s...@googlegroups.com
+1

Hi!
I would like to not have any telemetry packets from my gate. Is it possible?

RZ3DHN

avk

Dec 8, 2013, 7:04:31 AM12/8/13
to aprx-s...@googlegroups.com
Here is an attached file with patches against aprx 2.08 svn556 which adds boolean 'send_telemetry' setting into <aprsis></aprsis> section in aprx.conf.

Could any of aprx committers revise them and maybe include into aprx code base?
Unfortunately I haven't got any reply from Matti.
send_telemetry.patch

Matti Aarnio

Mar 7, 2014, 7:03:08 PM3/7/14
to aprx-s...@googlegroups.com
Well, I am somewhat periodic with my times of being able to look at Aprx...
I can spot things easier(*) when email subject has 'aprx' in it.
[ *) from amongst all junk mail. ]

I redrafted this as an <interface> section flag, much like tx-ok:

telem-to-is <boolean>

it is default to true to be compatible with old code without disable option.

The telemetry-to-RF is controlled by <telemetry> configuration block.
If no block is defined, no transmit to RF will happen.
There can be multiple <telemetry> definitions, each to separate transmitter.

I am thinking that at this time I should look at creating alternate
telemetry format too -- one that is more according to what the APRS101
is telling the format to be instead of what APRS.FI accepts.
The value space of small integers in range of 0 to 255 ... well, maybe
the Erlang data can be renormalized to that range with meaningful
resolution. After all it is approximative to begin with.

73 de Matti, OH2MQK

avk