Alerts disabled & Automatic weather report updates

Heikki Hannikainen

Mar 26, 2012, 2:51:22 AM3/26/12
to apr...@googlegroups.com

aprs.fi's weather report pages now update automatically, in near real
time, without full page reloads: aprs.fi/weather/IZ1DSJ

I'll do the same for telemetry pages soon if this one works out OK.

Another thing is that email alerts are disabled until I fix a bug. There's
a bug in there causing a lot of emails to go out for some recipients (in
the hundreds). :)

- Hessu

Tom Hayward

Mar 26, 2012, 5:29:17 PM3/26/12
to apr...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 00:51, Heikki Hannikainen <he...@hes.iki.fi> wrote:

> aprs.fi's weather report pages now update automatically, in near real time,
> without full page reloads: aprs.fi/weather/IZ1DSJ

I was just watching a weather page and when it auto-refreshed the
data, the wind units changed from MPH to m/s and temperature changed
from F to C. My default is imperial units, and a full page refresh
gave me imperial units again.

Here is the page I was viewing:
http://aprs.fi/weather/a/CW5699?range=day

Tom KD7LXL

Tom Hayward

Mar 26, 2012, 5:43:38 PM3/26/12
to apr...@googlegroups.com

This also does interesting things with the graph! 78 becomes 25.6,
which looks like a dramatic drop in temperature.

http://i.imgur.com/Us0Cl.png

Tom KD7LXL

Heikki Hannikainen

Mar 27, 2012, 2:20:46 AM3/27/12
to apr...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, 26 Mar 2012, Tom Hayward wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 15:29, Tom Hayward <esa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I was just watching a weather page and when it auto-refreshed the
>> data, the wind units changed from MPH to m/s and temperature changed
>> from F to C. My default is imperial units, and a full page refresh
>> gave me imperial units again.
>

> This also does interesting things with the graph! 78 becomes 25.6,
> which looks like a dramatic drop in temperature.

Ah, this gets interesting. I guess if you go to http://aprs.fi/info/OH2TI
and then select another month in "Stations heard directly by OH2TI", you
also get metric distances? There was another report for this happening to
someone.

It doesn't happen for me if I change to imperial units in Preferences, I
have tested it many times. For some reason the ajax calls done by your
browser don't find the right settings to use and go with the defaults.
Could be browser-specific.

So, again I have to ask the same old question: What browser, and what
browser version are you using? Which operating system?

I would appreciate it greatly if everyone would always specify (1) the
browser, (2) operating system, and (3) the callsign+SSID. As much
additional detail as possible. It speeds up debugging a lot if I can fire
up a similar configuration over here right away to see if it replicates
here. Replication of the problem makes fixing issues much easier! Thank
you.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/aprsfi/_6BuLNhRqM4

- Hessu

Tom Hayward

Mar 27, 2012, 10:06:11 AM3/27/12
to apr...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 00:20, Heikki Hannikainen <he...@hes.iki.fi> wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Mar 2012, Tom Hayward wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 15:29, Tom Hayward <esa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I was just watching a weather page and when it auto-refreshed the
>>> data, the wind units changed from MPH to m/s and temperature changed
>>> from F to C. My default is imperial units, and a full page refresh
>>> gave me imperial units again.
>>

>> This also does interesting things with the graph! 78 becomes 25.6,
>> which looks like a dramatic drop in temperature.
>

> Ah, this gets interesting. I guess if you go to http://aprs.fi/info/OH2TI
> and then select another month in "Stations heard directly by OH2TI", you
> also get metric distances? There was another report for this happening to
> someone.

No, I see miles all the time now. After reporting the problem
yesterday, I logged in and then the units were consistent again. I
changed units preferences a few times after that and always saw the
correct units.

I also tried to reproduce with a new session (incognito tab), but was
unable to get conflicting units. I always saw what was specified in
preferences.

I think somehow my original session (before logging in) had stale
preferences data, causing me to see imperial units some places, and
default units in others. I have not been able to replicate this
scenario. Do you read preferences and/or detect locale differently on
aprs.fi and aprs.fi/xml2?

> So, again I have to ask the same old question: What browser, and what
> browser version are you using? Which operating system?

Google Chrome 19.0.1068.1 dev
Mac OS X 10.6.8

Tom KD7LXL

Heikki Hannikainen

Mar 27, 2012, 2:39:50 PM3/27/12
to apr...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, 27 Mar 2012, Tom Hayward wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 00:20, Heikki Hannikainen <he...@hes.iki.fi> wrote:
>>

>> Ah, this gets interesting. I guess if you go to http://aprs.fi/info/OH2TI
>> and then select another month in "Stations heard directly by OH2TI", you
>> also get metric distances? There was another report for this happening to
>> someone.
>

> I think somehow my original session (before logging in) had stale
> preferences data, causing me to see imperial units some places, and
> default units in others. I have not been able to replicate this
> scenario. Do you read preferences and/or detect locale differently on
> aprs.fi and aprs.fi/xml2?

Both use the same cookie which refers to a settings blob in memcache/db,
and pretty exactly the same code to get it.

It would be interesting to capture the cookies given to the service when
this happens - does the browser positively transmit the same settings
cookie for both the page request and the following AJAX call?

When you save preferences, they go in a key-value database, and the
settings key is set as a cookie. If you're logged in, they're also stored
keyed by your user account. When you log in again, it will reload the
settings by your account ID. With a couple tabs open at the same time,
this sort of issue could probably be duplicated intentionally by changing
preferences in another tab.

>> So, again I have to ask the same old question: What browser, and what
>> browser version are you using? Which operating system?
>
> Google Chrome 19.0.1068.1 dev
> Mac OS X 10.6.8

Pretty close to mine then. Does not reproduce easily with the released
Chrome on OS X.

- Hessu

Tom Hayward

Mar 27, 2012, 3:00:54 PM3/27/12
to apr...@googlegroups.com

Ok, I've found a reliable way to reproduce it. It is not a problem
with preferences, but rather a lack of preferences. When I start a new
incognito tab and do not set preferences, something detects my locale
and sets imperial units. When the data refreshes, it seems to not
detect my locale, reverting to the default metric units. If you are
not doing any locale detection, then there is something much more
funky happening!

1. Open an incognito tab in locale that uses imperial units.
2. Navigate to a weather graph page. See imperial units.
3. Wait for weather data update. See metric units.

1. Open an incognito tab in a locale that uses imperial units.
2. Navigate to http://aprs.fi/info/OH2TI. See distances in miles.
3. Select another month in "stations heard directly by...". See distances in km.

Tom KD7LXL

Heikki Hannikainen

Mar 27, 2012, 3:07:52 PM3/27/12
to apr...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, 27 Mar 2012, Tom Hayward wrote:

> Ok, I've found a reliable way to reproduce it. It is not a problem
> with preferences, but rather a lack of preferences. When I start a new
> incognito tab and do not set preferences, something detects my locale
> and sets imperial units. When the data refreshes, it seems to not
> detect my locale, reverting to the default metric units. If you are
> not doing any locale detection, then there is something much more
> funky happening!

Ah, excellent. If you don't have settings set, it'll do a geoip lookup and
try to come up with something sensible. That should go to the cookie *and*
be used on all subsequent requests (without further guesswork), including
the ajax update for the weather data, but obviously that's not going
right. Thanks, that should be easy to reproduce and fix now, I'll just
fake my geoip result for a while. :)

I'll look at it tomorrow, it's bedtime here now.

- Hessu

Heikki Hannikainen

Mar 28, 2012, 12:35:52 PM3/28/12
to apr...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, 27 Mar 2012, Heikki Hannikainen wrote:

> I'll look at it tomorrow, it's bedtime here now.

The units bug in both the self-updating /weather/ page and the
receive/transmit month switch on the /info/ is now fixed. Small bug in how
measurement unit settings defaults were merged in the ajax updates.

- Hessu