Re: [aprsfi] Finding stations that moved through a position at a certain time

Heikki Hannikainen

Jul 18, 2012, 7:05:26 AM7/18/12
to apr...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

On Tue, 17 Jul 2012, Rupert Swarbrick wrote:

> I wonder if it's possible to use aprs.fi to answer the question: "Which ships
> moved through the following bit of shipping lane last Sunday in the following
> hour"?

Unfortunately no. It'd be a nice feature, but such queries are very heavy
for the database, because there are no efficient indexes that would allow
a bounding-box + time range search available in the database. I'd have to
build that manually, and haven't gotten around to doing that quite yet.

- Hessu

Walter Runck

Jul 18, 2012, 10:07:49 AM7/18/12
to apr...@googlegroups.com
If the area of interest is (or can be defined as) a port, the
marinetraffic.com site can support a bounding box and record comings and
goings. I don't know what their rules are for port definitions, but if one
could be set up that suits your purpose, there is some functionality
available to provide inventory and history.

-----
No virus found in this message.