Min SDK / Target SDK ?

Mic

Sep 22, 2016, 1:36:54 PM9/22/16
to AppToMarket
Hello Im going to decompile and recompile an App I created with Thunkable (Appinventor2 spinoff) with Apptomarket and I would like to know what settings of MinSDK ver and Target SDK ver are the best. Should I leave it likle it is when I open Apptomerket (Min SDk=3, Target SDK=0)? I searched infos and tried to understand better how the whole SDK ver thing goes, but it is out of my reach unfortunately.

M. Hossein Amerkashi

Sep 22, 2016, 2:28:18 PM9/22/16
to Mic, AppToMarket
Why do you want to change min/target sdk

--
For Java Bridge (sdkBridger), visit http://code.google.com/p/apptomarket/
---

Mic

Sep 24, 2016, 10:05:19 AM9/24/16
to AppToMarket, mwg...@gmail.com
I dont want to change it, Im just wondering if i should change it, and what value to set in that case.
So I can leave like it is? Min SDk=3, Target SDK=0?

Il giorno giovedì 22 settembre 2016 20:28:18 UTC+2, M. Hossein Amerkashi ha scritto:
Why do you want to change min/target sdk
On Thu, Sep 22, 2016 at 1:36 PM, Mic <mwg...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello Im going to decompile and recompile an App I created with Thunkable (Appinventor2 spinoff) with Apptomarket and I would like to know what settings of MinSDK ver and Target SDK ver are the best. Should I leave it likle it is when I open Apptomerket (Min SDk=3, Target SDK=0)? I searched infos and tried to understand better how the whole SDK ver thing goes, but it is out of my reach unfortunately.

--
For Java Bridge (sdkBridger), visit http://code.google.com/p/apptomarket/
---

M. Hossein Amerkashi

Sep 24, 2016, 12:25:12 PM9/24/16
to Mic, AppToMarket
You don't really need to use AppToMarket or 3rd party tools UNLESS you need to change specific settings in the app.

Mic

Sep 24, 2016, 12:44:50 PM9/24/16
to AppToMarket, mwg...@gmail.com
Yes I use Apptomarket to change some things in the  the classes.dex file because it is not possible to modify that in Appinventor.

But being that to do the changes I have to decompile the app and then recompile it with the default SDK settings in Apptomarket, I was wondering if those settings are the best for an app created and compiled previously in Appinventor.

M. Hossein Amerkashi

Sep 24, 2016, 12:47:06 PM9/24/16
to Mic, AppToMarket
You can't use targetSDK of 0; it has to be greater than minSdk.
Also, what changes are you adding in?

Mic

Sep 24, 2016, 1:04:05 PM9/24/16
to AppToMarket, mwg...@gmail.com
Just localizing the menu button (About and Stop this app submenus).
Thanks for telling me that. Do you know what the best min and target SDK would be? Or maybe should I ask that to the Thunkable community? Anyway thanks a lot for the help!

Boban Stojmenovic

Sep 24, 2016, 3:29:13 PM9/24/16
to AppToMarket, mwg...@gmail.com
Thunkable has this as default <uses-sdk android:minSdkVersion="14" android:targetSdkVersion="22" />

But if you do not know what you are doing, you will destroy the material theme.

Mic

Sep 24, 2016, 3:45:15 PM9/24/16
to AppToMarket, mwg...@gmail.com
Hi, thanks a lot for the info.

I just localize the code relative to the menu button instead of deleting it.

So far I have done some testing leaving the default SDK values I found in Apptomarket and my app seems to work fine after the decompile/modding/recompile, and looks exactly the same (except for the translated words obviously). What do you mean i could destroy the material theme?

I would like to do a test with the values you gave me but unfortunately Apptomarket is not working this days for me.

M. Hossein Amerkashi

Sep 24, 2016, 4:00:09 PM9/24/16
to Mic, AppToMarket
BTW, if using MIT AI, you can just get rid of those menu options by entering below in the About property:
<!--

If using AppyBuilder (http://AppyBuilder.com), then you don't even need to do that because on purpose, this has been eliminated.

-Hossein.

--
For Java Bridge (sdkBridger), visit http://code.google.com/p/apptomarket/
---

Boban Stojmenovic

Sep 25, 2016, 9:13:48 AM9/25/16
to AppToMarket, mwg...@gmail.com

Personally I see no advantage in having minSdkVersion lower than 14, but if you still want to change it add this to your AndroidManifest file
<uses-sdk android:minSdkVersion="number you want" android:targetSdkVersion="22" /> or open apktool.yml file and change minSdkVersion.

Just fyi, ATM is not applying this to manifest file.

If you are following that process

After that i recompiled using apktool, zipped it, copied the classes.dex out of the zip, decompiled the original apk with app2market, deleted the classes.dex from the original, added the one i got out of the modified smali, recompiled and signed the app with app2market.

why not just sign, verify, zip align directly Sign Your App Manually

Mic

Sep 25, 2016, 11:17:42 AM9/25/16
to AppToMarket, mwg...@gmail.com
Well if ATM is not applying changes I'll leave it like it is, I dont want to change it, I was just worrying about the values I saw as default in those fields when opening ATM (Min SDk=3, Target SDK=0).

Thanks a lot for the tip about signing manually, I still have to find a way to decompile, change the classes.dex file and recompile without using ATM, seeing that is not working.

I lm learning a lot, many thanks to you!

Boban Stojmenovic

Sep 25, 2016, 12:04:51 PM9/25/16
to AppToMarket, mwg...@gmail.com

Thanks a lot for the tip about signing manually, I still have to find a way to decompile, change the classes.dex file and recompile without using ATM, seeing that is not working.

The only thing you need to do, decode your.apk --> make changes (to the manifest file), (smali files), (images) etc. --> build your.apk --> sign, verify, zip align directly Sign Your App Manually

Good tutorial on this

PS. I'm doing exactly this with MIT AI2 Companion and this is the result of it...

Mic

Sep 25, 2016, 3:12:17 PM9/25/16
to AppToMarket, mwg...@gmail.com
Thanks a lot the video is really interesting, I think I'll try to use that theme for my next app.

I'll look into the other way to mod my current app, without using APT, even thou is starting to get a little too much for me to handle. I just wanted to translate 4 or 5 words to my language lol...
 What a shame ATM stopped working, I was just at the last steps before publishing my first app to GPS.

Anyway thanks again Boban and Hossein, it is really kind of you to dedicate all this time and energies to help me.

Angelo Valdora

Aug 4, 2018, 12:40:02 PM8/4/18
to AppToMarket

Il giorno domenica 25 settembre 2016 15:13:48 UTC+2, Boban Stojmenovic ha scritto:

Personally I see no advantage in having minSdkVersion lower than 14, but if you still want to change it add this to your AndroidManifest file
<uses-sdk android:minSdkVersion="number you want" android:targetSdkVersion="22" /> or open apktool.yml file and change minSdkVersion.

Just fyi, ATM is not applying this to manifest file.

Hi Boban
With ATM, why when i changed min and target sdk, don't appears in manifest (when i modify it) this string:
<uses-sdk android:minSdkVersion="number you want" android:targetSdkVersion="22" /> ?
Now it's important because new Google's policy need targetSdk=26
Thanks
Angelo