Version number wont allow subtle changes

Buzz

Jun 29, 2011, 4:32:38 PM6/29/11
to appto...@googlegroups.com
For example, updates going 1.0.0, 1.0.1, 1.0.2......... android market insists on app version be higher than the previous by which it means a full step. v1, v2, v3. Also having problems making the app transferable to SD card.

M. Hossein Amerkashi

Jun 29, 2011, 5:11:11 PM6/29/11
to appto...@googlegroups.com
Market requires that you use integer number for Version Code. However, the version name can be anything. AppToMarket basically tries to default that to be sort-of same as Version Code.

Re SD Card, did you select "Install To SD" when in AppToMarket?

-Hossein

Buzz

Jun 30, 2011, 1:27:55 AM6/30/11
to appto...@googlegroups.com
By integer do you mean it won't allow anything other than a whole number, ie 1,2,3,4,5,6,etc and nothing in between? I haven't tested the auto move to SD but once the app is installed on the phone there's no option to move to SD. Thank you for your quick response.

M. Hossein Amerkashi

Jun 30, 2011, 9:03:08 AM6/30/11
to appto...@googlegroups.com
Yes, Integer numbers and for each upgrade, it has to be greater than previous version. For example, let's say initial pub app is 1. The second upgrade can be 2 and next 3.

SD Card: AppToMarket allows you to select "Install To SD". However, after published to Market, when a user downloads your app, its not guaranteed to be installed onto SD Card. Here is what Android says:

"The application prefers to be installed on the external storage (SD card). There is no guarantee that the system will honor this request. The application might be installed on internal storage if the external media is unavailable or full, or if the application uses the forward-locking mechanism (not supported on external storage). Once installed, the user can move the application to either internal or external storage through the system settings."

At any rate, from your Android phone, you can move an app to SD card, using Setting, Manage Applications, select the app you want and then Move To SD.

Hope this helps.
_hossein

Imp Inc.

Jul 6, 2011, 11:54:18 PM7/6/11
to appto...@googlegroups.com
This only works for Android 2.2 and up. I don't have this option in my phone, and I have 2.1.