GUI front end for appledoc

appledoc

Aug 9, 2012, 10:16:05 AM8/9/12
to appl...@googlegroups.com
One of the areas for making appledoc simpler to use is a GUI front end. From my blog post (http://gentlebytes.com/2012/08/summer-progress):

Based on user feedback, I noticed many developers prefer to install appledoc through one of the installers - either install script included with repo (which, by the way, seems to be having some issues on Mountain Lion) or Homebrew. I also get many support questions which seem to indicate many newcomers to iOS/OS X platform want to use the tool, but are not familiar with UNIX command line and hence have hard time installing it. So one of the ideas that's been with me for a while is to develop a GUI front end that will simplify installation and subsequent project management. Hopefully the app will take some of the burden of answering these questions or at least provide some revenue for the time invested into them. The GUI front end would be available either from Mac App Store or as direct download. In any case, it will be **payed app**. My biggest hesitation is how to deal with user contributions to source code - ideally I wouldn't like to separate underlying code sets, but some contrubitors may feel being taken advantage of. Although on the other hand, majority of source code is still my own contribution. Anyway, don't jump on this idea - as much as it may come with surprise, it's something that was in my mind for a long time already and I just wanted to share it with you and get some preliminary feedback - let me know what you think about such a tool - comment on [this thread in appledoc forum]().

Power users fear not - appledoc as command line tool will continue to be freely available on GitHub, and there will be no difference between what you can accomplish with command line or GUI front end - in fact, all new features and bug fixes will likely first appear on GitHub and subsequently to payed app. Hence, if you're happy with cmd line tool, there will be no need for you to purchase the app in order to get additional funcionality (besides ease of use or supporting development of course :)

And remember: regardless of your suggestions, I may or may not choose to follow this path. It ultimately depends on time left from other activities.

While this is still in the idea stage - potential development would only begin after appledoc 3.0 is released, which by itself is still too early to do any estimates, I'd like to get some preliminary feedback from all of you - would you consider purchasing such an app?
Message has been deleted

Jason

Oct 17, 2012, 7:31:41 PM10/17/12
to appl...@googlegroups.com
Depending on the price, I would be very open to paying for such an app.  Make it happen!... (please)

Arturo Pruneda

Jul 12, 2013, 6:43:15 PM7/12/13
to appl...@googlegroups.com
Sure I would