Python target for ANTLR 4

Ratul Saha

May 10, 2013, 3:15:45 PM5/10/13
to antlr-di...@googlegroups.com
Dear All,

Is there any hint when python target for ANTLR4 will be out?

--
Ratul Saha.
Doctoral Student.

Terence Parr

May 10, 2013, 4:04:25 PM5/10/13
to antlr-di...@googlegroups.com
No one has volunteered yet.

Dictation in use. Please excuse homophones, malapropisms, and nonsense.

ronald....@gmail.com

Jul 8, 2013, 5:36:51 AM7/8/13
to antlr-di...@googlegroups.com
I would also like to use a Python target. It is now nearly two months since the last post on this thread, is there any new information regarding a (potential) Python target for ANTLR4?

Sam Harwell

Jul 8, 2013, 5:56:28 AM7/8/13
to antlr-di...@googlegroups.com
The additional ANTLR 4 targets are independently developed. I'm not aware of anyone who's expressed interest in volunteering to create the Python target at this point.

Thank you,
--
Sam Harwell
Owner, Lead Developer

sepp...@gmx.at

Jul 9, 2013, 9:17:58 AM7/9/13
to antlr-di...@googlegroups.com
Hello!
In my opinion a Python target for ANTLR 4 would be absolutely great, however, if somebody is willing to tackle such a big project, I would encourage to consider to write it for cython (www.cython.org). This would give the speed of C and the flexibility of python!!
Regards,
Sepp.

Toni Bagur

Dec 16, 2013, 6:46:19 AM12/16/13
to antlr-di...@googlegroups.com, sepp...@gmx.at
Hi all,

Could it be possible to use antlr4+jython?

Regards,

Terence Parr

Dec 16, 2013, 11:40:11 AM12/16/13
to antlr-di...@googlegroups.com, sepp...@gmx.at
Yes, indeed I think it would be. Do a lot of people use jython?
Ter

Athanasios Anastasiou

Mar 31, 2014, 8:25:40 AM3/31/14
to antlr-di...@googlegroups.com, ra...@cmi.ac.in
Hello everyone

Can i please ask what is the progress on the Python target and if there is some documentation available somewhere to describe how this is done?

I am interested in such a target and would be willing to contribute if there is something already going on.

Looking forward to hearing from you
AA

David Whitten

Mar 31, 2014, 8:37:04 AM3/31/14
to antlr-di...@googlegroups.com, ra...@cmi.ac.in
I'm having problems figuring out how to even start on a target.
Perhaps its obvious, but where in the code does it decide what language it is going to generate?

Terence Parr

Mar 31, 2014, 10:49:45 AM3/31/14
to antlr-di...@googlegroups.com, ra...@cmi.ac.in
A gentleman named Eric has started on the path to a python target but it's a long road. I'm collecting people interested and will see how this goes.

Ter

Xuan-Loi Vu

Apr 16, 2014, 2:41:30 AM4/16/14
to antlr-di...@googlegroups.com, ra...@cmi.ac.in
My name is Xuan-Loi Vu.

I am really interested in using ANTLR to write my own compilers. Although i am not really good in Python Programming language.
Can I join to Python's team to build Python target for ANTLR V4.
Could you tell me "what do i need to start with the project?"
Thank you very much.

Vào 21:49:45 UTC+7 Thứ hai, ngày 31 tháng ba năm 2014, the_antlr_guy đã viết:

Terence Parr

Apr 16, 2014, 1:50:00 PM4/16/14
to antlr-di...@googlegroups.com, ra...@cmi.ac.in
Hi. Eric is making great progress so I think were okay but thanks for the offer.
Ter

Peter C. Marks

May 2, 2014, 9:00:24 AM5/2/14
to antlr-di...@googlegroups.com, ra...@cmi.ac.in
I should read this list more often... I'm about two weeks into porting the Antlr4 runtime to Python 2.7. But, it seems that Eric has made very good progress on a Python 3 runtime - congratulations!

So, what should I do? Abandon my effort? Or, should I continue with a Python 2.7 version? Does it make sense to have both Python 2 and Python 3 versions? Anyone's help with this decision would be appreciated.

Or, maybe I should find another language target?

Thanks,

Peter

Terence Parr

May 2, 2014, 1:47:15 PM5/2/14
to antlr-di...@googlegroups.com, ra...@cmi.ac.in

Eric is making such good progress that I think we should focus on python 3 and then think about back porting

Terence Parr

May 2, 2014, 1:47:15 PM5/2/14
to antlr-di...@googlegroups.com, ra...@cmi.ac.in

Javascript?

On May 2, 2014 6:00 AM, "Peter C. Marks" <peter....@gmail.com> wrote:

Peter C. Marks

May 2, 2014, 2:13:54 PM5/2/14
to antlr-di...@googlegroups.com, ra...@cmi.ac.in
OK, I'll hold off on a Python 2.7 version; makes sense.

JavaScript? Hmmm.

And for something completely different: Julia?

Terence Parr

May 2, 2014, 2:18:00 PM5/2/14

On May 2, 2014, at 11:13 AM, Peter C. Marks <peter....@gmail.com> wrote:

> OK, I'll hold off on a Python 2.7 version; makes sense.
>
> JavaScript? Hmmm.
>
> And for something completely different: Julia?

Julia is awesome, but we have to think about the size of the target market for the effort involved :)

Michael Roberts

May 2, 2014, 2:29:55 PM5/2/14
to antlr-di...@googlegroups.com, ra...@cmi.ac.in
A Javascript target would be very useful. People are beginning to
write things like IDEs, modelling programs, etc, in JS, which run
partly in the cloud, and partly in the browser and a parser which
could run in the browser would be very useful for this type of
toolchain. Commercial example: https://c9.io/

MR

Peter C. Marks

May 2, 2014, 4:03:21 PM5/2/14
to antlr-di...@googlegroups.com, ra...@cmi.ac.in
With the advent of node.js, JavaScript applications can run from the command-line, although from what I know of node.js its asynchronouse i/o model seems to be its selling point. I'm curious as to where people think the most likely use of a JavaScript ANTL4 runtime would be: server-side or browser-based?

Peter

Michael Roberts

May 2, 2014, 5:36:31 PM5/2/14
to antlr-di...@googlegroups.com, ra...@cmi.ac.in
My user case: if I wrote a syntax directed editor for something and
ran it on the client, I'd want to parse on the client to eliminate the
server round trip ..

Mike (IMAP)

May 4, 2014, 2:28:03 PM5/4/14
to ANTLR List
I’d second that thought

Peter C. Marks

May 5, 2014, 11:04:14 AM5/5/14
to antlr-di...@googlegroups.com
There is a Dart implementation of the ANTLR4 runtime here, which should run in most browsers, although I have not tried it out yet.

Peter

Terence Parr

May 5, 2014, 12:48:57 PM5/5/14
to antlr-di...@googlegroups.com
Wow.  I had no idea someone had built this target. Does anyone have experience with it?
Ter