Derive relative elevation data from hillshade?

Stuart Eve

Apr 16, 2015, 4:01:35 AM4/16/15
to anti...@googlegroups.com
Dear all (esp. the GIS buffs)

Does anyone know if it is possible to get (relative) elevation data from a hillshade.

Here is the situation: I have a hillshade file (of a historical landscape), I know what direction the light is coming from and I can just about work out the elevation angle of it - but what I really want is some relative elevation data - to compare with the modern elevation data and to see what has changed. I can of course do a visual comparison by recreating the hillshade of the modern landscape - but it would be good to be able assign some numbers to it. There are a few areas on the hillshade that I can say with certainty (from the modern data) what their elevation should be - so I should be able to calibrate the relative elevation data if I can recreate it...

Has anyone done this before? Is it even possible?

Cheers for any suggestions

Stu

sth

Apr 20, 2015, 10:26:27 AM4/20/15
to anti...@googlegroups.com
Stu,
Can't help you directly, but have you tried gis.stackexchange.com? If you have no luck, let me know here and I'll send an email to the office (CASA) list -- someone's bound to be able to help.

--
sth