GRASS/QGIS in WinXP

geoff carver

Aug 19, 2014, 12:44:06 PM8/19/14
to anti...@googlegroups.com, archcomp
In a vain attempt to open some recent .shp and other Esri files, I recently
tried to install the latest versions of GRASS & QGIS on WinXP; is it just
me, or do both of them only work on Win7/8 now?

dave....@pinan.co.uk

Aug 19, 2014, 12:50:12 PM8/19/14
to anti...@googlegroups.com
Two suggestions,
1. make sure you have all of the MS patches installed.
2. If its impossible to get qgis 2.4 to work, try going back to the
previous version eg 2.2 1.8 etc. Until you find one that does work.

Chris Puttick

Aug 19, 2014, 1:01:57 PM8/19/14
to anti...@googlegroups.com
AFAICT they should work on Windows XP. What happened when you tried to
install? And are you using the integrated installer or as separate
packages?
> --

@putt1ck
putt1ck.blogspot.com
http://twoten.is
skype: putt1ck

Opinions in this email are my own and may not reflect that of my
clients, past employers, associates, friends, family, pets etc..

geoff carver

Aug 19, 2014, 1:29:06 PM8/19/14
to anti...@googlegroups.com
Everything I download/install these days seems to grab yet another copy of C++ runtime. The QGIS said to reboot after installing, then running the qgis.bat file brings up the warning that the qgis_core.dll can't be found (same directory).
With GRASS a long list of error messages (dealing with python) comes up in the terminal window, then the initial "logo" screen appears for a moment, then it all shuts down.
Separate packages; never liked the OSGEO because it never used to be particularly helpful in explaining what I did or did not want to install, but I could try that again.

geoff carver

Aug 19, 2014, 1:29:59 PM8/19/14
to anti...@googlegroups.com
Will do.

geoff carver

Aug 19, 2014, 1:56:12 PM8/19/14
to anti...@googlegroups.com
With the OSGeo4W Shell, all I get is "'o-help' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."

Stefano Costa

Aug 19, 2014, 2:04:24 PM8/19/14
to anti...@googlegroups.com
Il 19/08/2014 19:56, geoff carver ha scritto:
> With the OSGeo4W Shell, all I get is "'o-help' is not recognized as
> an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."

Geoff, just today I installed QGIS+GRASS using OSGeo4W on a XP machine.
You should use the "Setup" menu item to install/upgrade packages.

Hope this helps
steko

--
Stefano Costa
http://steko.iosa.it/

geoff carver

Aug 19, 2014, 2:17:20 PM8/19/14
to anti...@googlegroups.com
Just did :(
That's the message I got when I tried to run it: