Python versions with ArcGIS

geoff carver

Jul 3, 2015, 6:43:36 PM7/3/15
to anti...@googlegroups.com, archcomp
I have been trying to debug some Python scripts I've been writing for GIMP
and ArcGIS, and noticed that many of the samples and examples I downloaded
from the web didn't work on the Python I was using (2.7), and that the
"Script-Fu" files I wrote for GIMP don't work on Python 3.2 here at home.
Does anyone happen to know if I update the Python on my machine at work,
will it really mess up ArcGIS?

Paul Cripps

Jul 6, 2015, 7:48:04 AM7/6/15
to anti...@googlegroups.com
Hi Geoff,
ArcGIS is a bit fussy about Python, currently needs to be 2.7, but thankfully keeps its own bits to itself in 'walled gardens' within the Python27 directory installed by ArcGIS; you should have separate Pythons for each version of ArcGIS you have installed eg I have three Pythons installed by ArcGIS, one each in folders named ArcGIS10.1 (legacy; just contains Lib directory, no executables) and ArcGIS10.2 (main 32bit Python) and a further one for 64bit Python in an ArcGISx6410.2 folder.

I would suggest keep things separate if other apps need > v2.7. I think updating beyond 2.7 may indeed cause ArcGIS problems. Not least as the version of Numpy used in ArcGIS only supports Python 2.x. I guess you could try updating Numpy too (1.5.0 and above support Python 3.x) but you're going way beyond Esri's build here...

Atb,

gjca...@t-online.de

Jul 6, 2015, 3:23:21 PM7/6/15
to anti...@googlegroups.com
Apparently GIMP & most of Linux are still dependent on Python 2.7, and GIMP has installed its own copy of Python (2.7 according to a dll), and ArcGIS 10.3 has a folder in the Python27 folder.
But that doesn't quite explain why my scripts will run on my work computer but just have errors on a new install of Python and GIMP on Win8 or Debian (deliberately 2.7)...
Then again, GCC and G++ won't work on MiGW, despite supposedly having been loaded...
All very mysterious, and a lack of clear documentation for all this surely doesn't help...

-----Original-Nachricht-----